SoxFest First Time---What to Expect?

mueron2000

As the title states this will be my first time going (Sunday only) and I'm pretty excited. Realistically, what can I expect? I see certain times for photos and autographs with a limited number next to it. Should I just pick a line no matter what time and stick with that? Or will I likely be able to get multiple photo/auto ops? Do I have to pay extra for these? Do I need to bring items to sign or will they just be signing pictures they provide? Also, as a fat man will there be food?

Thanks for your help!

QUOTE (goldensox @ Jan 24, 2018 -> 06:38 PM)
As the title states this will be my first time going (Sunday only) and I'm pretty excited. Realistically, what can I expect? I see certain times for photos and autographs with a limited number next to it. Should I just pick a line no matter what time and stick with that? Or will I likely be able to get multiple photo/auto ops? Do I have to pay extra for these? Do I need to bring items to sign or will they just be signing pictures they provide? Also, as a fat man will there be food?

Thanks for your help!

- Get there EARLY and have a game plan (and back-up plan). Sundays are usually the easiest day to move around, but lines will start forming for the later signings hours before it starts. Even so, you should be able to get 2-4 signatures with the different time slots they have that day. But you'll need to be prepared.

- I don't believe you can get a photo-op and have a wristband for a autograph signing at the same time. Also players won't sign during the photo-ops, so don't bother asking.

- The seminars are pretty fun, but know that if you attend one you will not have as good of an opportunity to get autographs.

- Bring items you want signed. They also have items for sale from the White Sox themselves and also plenty of vendors if you can't find anything for a specific player. Players have pens, but if you bring a jersey or something that requires a sharpie, I'd recommend you bring your own marker so it writes good.

- There is food (and beer) but it's nothing special. Go to Kitty O'Shea's if you're hungry afterward.

I am not an autograph type, but if you are, it's a good place to go. The seminars are usually stellar covering a wide range of stuff, albeit with a fair share of fluff. I am not going this year as it is completely sold out, used to love when it was about half the price and they gave season ticketholders half off that. But if you go, there definitely are things that will keep you satisfied. Always nice to be totally baseball for a few hours in January. Who knows, someone might convince you Dean Anna is ready to breakout. It's one of those things everyone should go to at least once. Chances are you will want to go again.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 25, 2018 -> 09:57 AM)
This kinda stuff just doesn't do it for me, personally. Never really into conventions and don't really care about getting autographs. I used to go with my brother, cousins, dad and uncles every year when we were little though.

The Q&A sessions with Hahn are worth the price alone IMO. Some of the other seminars are really good too.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 25, 2018 -> 02:22 PM)
The Q&A sessions with Hahn are worth the price alone IMO. Some of the other seminars are really good too.

I think the memorabilia sales are almost reason enough to go. I've picked up some really cool and unique stuff over the years for great deals: a framed photo of the first-ever game at Comiskey in 1910, some special edition stuff the team did for Obama's inauguration, etc.

Edited by 35thstreetswarm

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 09:44 AM)
Anyone know of the secondary market sells passes for tonight or anyway to get a pass for tonight?

To my knowledge, there is no Friday-only pass - it's only as part of the Weekend Pass, which is reserved for hotel package buyers.

Had a really great time at my first ever SoxFest!

I was really bummed I didn't make it in time to be in the room during the opening ceremony. I was in the "viewing room" above with a few hundred other fans.

But I made up for it by asking Hahn a couple questions at the first seminar of the evening. My first question, was, of course, whether my RedLineRadio "Hahn" shirt was "A GREAT shirt, or THE GREATEST shirt". Hahn chuckled and muttered that he is still waiting for his commission on that shirt. Then I asked if he anticipate the record-high $68M contract given out to Abreu to be broken next off-season (referring to Machado, without saying it), and he told me that they have offered 9-figure contracts in the past, and to get the idea of the Sox not offering big money to anyone out of our heads.

There is a video of the Hahn shirt question on twitter that WhiteSoxDave retweeted. I also took a video of my 2nd question, but didn't post it anywhere.

From there I got autographs and shook the hands of 8 players. My observations of the players were that Giolito, Rodon, and Fulmer are extremely outgoing and excited to interact with fans. Hansen barely smiled or looked at anyone. Cease wouldn't stop smiling, although he looked more nervous/shy than anything. Everyone else was generally friendly and accommodating.

Walking through the hall my crew walked RIGHT PAST Moncada when he was on his way to go to the signing booth. I didn't even recognize it was him until about 3 feet away. We made brief eye contact and then all I could muster was "Oh s***!" and I pointed him out to my crew as he and Yolmer (who I didn't notice at all the first time) walked by. Someone no one else seemed to notice him, it was kind of funny.

I then stumbled upon Sierra Santos doing a segment with Dylan Cease and a kid playing Twister. Somehow, again, no one seemed to notice. So it was literally myself, Cease, Sierra, the kid, a camera man, and the kid's parents. I watched and snapped some pics and then ultimately Cease's knee touched the ground and Sierra went to me for a ruling. I decided, as I think are the rules, that a knee down means you lost. So the kid won. I later apologized to Cease in the autograph line for having to call him out on it, but he said he was relieved the kid won so he didn't have to feel bad. lol.

Bought a few things at the Sox garage sale. Sox pint glass for $4. Paid $2 for a Chris Sale stretch-armstrong somehow. Paid $1 for a mini souvenir bat. And then paid $10 for game worn pants by former Sox Deunte Heath. They are the 1983 style pants. Can't believe they were only $10, I'm actually really stoked about it.

The twitter-vending machine earned me an autographed baseball. #18, but honestly can't read the autograph. :lolhitting I think it might be Saladino, so I sent a pic to my buddy who is friends with Tyler to find out.

Then, at the end of the night when everyone was leaving, I again found myself in the presence of White Sox players that SOMEHOW no one seemed to notice. I was standing outside the Hilton waiting for my girlfriend to come pick me up, and out walk Kopech, Giolito, and their lady friends. The four of them just standing there outside next to me. They are going on about their plans for the night and Giolito was talking about his shoe collection. I was pretty much stunned that no one was around hounding them for autographs or pictures. So, without wanting to bug them too much, and Giolito noticing that I was looking shocked, I asked "Hey, do you might if a take a snapchat real quick? I didn't want to be creepy and just take a pic." Kopech looked up but just ignored it. Giolito smiled and said "Yeah man, of course! We are here for you guys this weekend, that's what this is about". I didn't ask them to pose or to be in it, I more or less just wanted someone to believe me that I was standing outside with them waiting for a ride. When their Uber finally pulled up, we all said bye to each other and I told Kopech to have a good night and good luck this year. He said "Thanks man, I appreciate that" and took off.

I forgot to save my snapchat story like an idiot, but some pictures I did download or just take with my regular camera app, so I'll post some stuff in the next post.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 01:47 AM)
Had a really great time at my first ever SoxFest!

I was really bummed I didn't make it in time to be in the room during the opening ceremony. I was in the "viewing room" above with a few hundred other fans.

But I made up for it by asking Hahn a couple questions at the first seminar of the evening. My first question, was, of course, whether my RedLineRadio "Hahn" shirt was "A GREAT shirt, or THE GREATEST shirt". Hahn chuckled and muttered that he is still waiting for his commission on that shirt. Then I asked if he anticipate the record-high $68M contract given out to Abreu to be broken next off-season (referring to Machado, without saying it), and he told me that they have offered 9-figure contracts in the past, and to get the idea of the Sox not offering big money to anyone out of our heads.

There is a video of the Hahn shirt question on twitter that WhiteSoxDave retweeted. I also took a video of my 2nd question, but didn't post it anywhere.

From there I got autographs and shook the hands of 8 players. My observations of the players were that Giolito, Rodon, and Fulmer are extremely outgoing and excited to interact with fans. Hansen barely smiled or looked at anyone. Cease wouldn't stop smiling, although he looked more nervous/shy than anything. Everyone else was generally friendly and accommodating.

Walking through the hall my crew walked RIGHT PAST Moncada when he was on his way to go to the signing booth. I didn't even recognize it was him until about 3 feet away. We made brief eye contact and then all I could muster was "Oh s***!" and I pointed him out to my crew as he and Yolmer (who I didn't notice at all the first time) walked by. Someone no one else seemed to notice him, it was kind of funny.

I then stumbled upon Sierra Santos doing a segment with Dylan Cease and a kid playing Twister. Somehow, again, no one seemed to notice. So it was literally myself, Cease, Sierra, the kid, a camera man, and the kid's parents. I watched and snapped some pics and then ultimately Cease's knee touched the ground and Sierra went to me for a ruling. I decided, as I think are the rules, that a knee down means you lost. So the kid won. I later apologized to Cease in the autograph line for having to call him out on it, but he said he was relieved the kid won so he didn't have to feel bad. lol.

Bought a few things at the Sox garage sale. Sox pint glass for $4. Paid $2 for a Chris Sale stretch-armstrong somehow. Paid $1 for a mini souvenir bat. And then paid $10 for game worn pants by former Sox Deunte Heath. They are the 1983 style pants. Can't believe they were only $10, I'm actually really stoked about it.

The twitter-vending machine earned me an autographed baseball. #18, but honestly can't read the autograph. :lolhitting I think it might be Saladino, so I sent a pic to my buddy who is friends with Tyler to find out.

Then, at the end of the night when everyone was leaving, I again found myself in the presence of White Sox players that SOMEHOW no one seemed to notice. I was standing outside the Hilton waiting for my girlfriend to come pick me up, and out walk Kopech, Giolito, and their lady friends. The four of them just standing there outside next to me. They are going on about their plans for the night and Giolito was talking about his shoe collection. I was pretty much stunned that no one was around hounding them for autographs or pictures. So, without wanting to bug them too much, and Giolito noticing that I was looking shocked, I asked "Hey, do you might if a take a snapchat real quick? I didn't want to be creepy and just take a pic." Kopech looked up but just ignored it. Giolito smiled and said "Yeah man, of course! We are here for you guys this weekend, that's what this is about". I didn't ask them to pose or to be in it, I more or less just wanted someone to believe me that I was standing outside with them waiting for a ride. When their Uber finally pulled up, we all said bye to each other and I told Kopech to have a good night and good luck this year. He said "Thanks man, I appreciate that" and took off.

I forgot to save my snapchat story like an idiot, but some pictures I did download or just take with my regular camera app, so I'll post some stuff in the next post.

Awesome man. Just awesome stuff there.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 01:47 AM)
Hansen barely smiled or looked at anyone.

Hansen.. let's just say is a bit of an "odd ball" (from what I've heard).

That's awesome by Giolito btw. The dude just gets it. Extremely bright young man.

I met and talked with Ed Farmer at Soxfest yesterday. He has had serious health problems. I can't help but wonder how much longer he's going to be working. He actually had to have someone helping him walk off the stage at the seminar he was at. This getting old is no fun.

Edited by WBWSF

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 07:25 AM)
I met and talked with Ed Farmer at Soxfest yesterday. He has had serious health problems. I can't help but wonder how much longer he's going to be working. He actually had to have someone helping him walk off the stage at the seminar he was at. This getting old is no fun.

I hope he is doing OK, and the issue is just getting off the stage. He is really knock kneed. I wonder if that is why he required assistance. I would think if he was in really rough shape he would have stayed home in Cali.