Prospect Perspective: Matt Cooper, from Pitcher to Parent

NorthSideSox72

I really like the fact that these guys are giving us glimpses of their lives by writing articles for us. That being said there is something not answered here that I’m not understanding: why can’t he be both a good father and persue his baseball career?

It sounds like he had to make a choice. I realize that minor leaguers don’t make a ton of money, unless you’re a high round draft pick, and the life can be strenuous, but didn’t this guy have a real shot at the majors. At that point he would of provided for his family much better than most other occupations. Lots of others major league players started a family prior to reaching the big league, some before their minor league career. Maybe I missed something.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 08:53 AM)
I really like the fact that these guys are giving us glimpses of their lives by writing articles for us. That being said there is something not answered here that I’m not understanding: why can’t he be both a good father and persue his baseball career?

It sounds like he had to make a choice. I realize that minor leaguers don’t make a ton of money, unless you’re a high round draft pick, and the life can be strenuous, but didn’t this guy have a real shot at the majors. At that point he would of provided for his family much better than most other occupations. Lots of others major league players started a family prior to reaching the big league, some before their minor league career. Maybe I missed something.

You aren't missing anything. He did have a real shot at the majors. The life is hard with being a parent, but yes some players make it work. Apparently Matt and his wife felt otherwise.

I personally have a hard time with that decision, because he was pretty close to making it. Take a shot! But the truth is, I don't know his exact situation, and maybe there are things that make it impossible.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 08:56 AM)
You aren't missing anything. He did have a real shot at the majors. The life is hard with being a parent, but yes some players make it work. Apparently Matt and his wife felt otherwise.

I personally have a hard time with that decision, because he was pretty close to making it. Take a shot! But the truth is, I don't know his exact situation, and maybe there are things that make it impossible.

Yes, I’m a very conservative guy by nature, but being that close I believe that even I would of taken a shot. But it’s a free country and it’s his choice, more power to him.

Thank you for all the work you guys do, I appreciate it!

I applaud him for putting his family responsibilities first. Selfishly, I wish he could have been both a good father and played baseball cause he might have helped my favorite team. I will never criticize him for making the right choice.

It's clearly none of my business and we don't have any of the details but given what we know I can't imagine any of us making this choice when so close to the majors and with some pretty good stats the past 2 years. Even Roster Resource had him as a possible rotation guy in AAA this year. Maybe the Sox told him he'll never make it out of AAA or he saw the competition and decided he couldn't compete-who knows except him and his family. I know I would have continued at least until Jr. was 2 or 3 and more interactive.

Good Luck Matt and don't look back.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 08:53 AM)

See Scott Carroll and his lifetime pension share.

It does make more sense since he has a university degree from Hawaii and is already 26 pitching for an organization loaded with pitching prospects, but he could have asked for his release and probably gotten it.

Edited by caulfield12