Marlins/Pirates may have violated spending rules

southsider2k5

Jeff Passan‏Verified account @JeffPassan 15h15 hours ago Sources: Amid the Pittsburgh Pirates and Miami Marlins' offseason trading sprees, the Major League Baseball Players Association is looking into the possibility they've run afoul of rules that teams invest revenue-sharing dollars into baseball operations. http://yhoo.it/2DE0mEY

Both the Pirates and Marlins are going to have very low payrolls the next few years. Isn't that the same situation the White Sox are going to be in? After this season the White Sox will not have any long term contracts on the books and will probably have a lower payroll than either the Pirates or Marlins. I realize that people don't like to hear this but this White Sox franchise has become a goldmine for JR.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 06:29 AM)
Both the Pirates and Marlins are going to have very low payrolls the next few years. Isn't that the same situation the White Sox are going to be in? After this season the White Sox will not have any long term contracts on the books and will probably have a lower payroll than either the Pirates or Marlins. I realize that people don't like to hear this but this White Sox franchise has become a goldmine for JR.

Lol..your reading comprehension skills leave a lot to be desired. If you actually read the tweet, you’d realize this is in regard to revenue sharing, which the Sox don’t benefit from like the Marlins & Pirates. But keep ignoring the fact we’re rebuilding in your endless quest to convince us Reinsford is a cheap old f***.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 06:29 AM)

I could keep my hands warm next to this take.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 07:29 AM)

Alright, Cozy Bear. Calm down.

"The next few years" = 2018.

I'm half hoping we see a franchise record payroll in 2019. If not then, then definitely 2020 when we have to deal with Garcia/Abreu, and we have all that playoff revenue coming in.

Well, I mean I think the biggest difference is that the White Sox don’t receive revenue sharing dollars

QUOTE (Quin @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 12:05 PM)
Alright, Cozy Bear. Calm down.

Well done, I actually laughed out loud.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 08:53 PM)
Well, I mean I think the biggest difference is that the White Sox don’t receive revenue sharing dollars

Yeah, it's sad this had to be pointed out, a few times.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 07:37 AM)
Didn't have time to check out the article, but how do you pinpoint that their spending doesn't come from a certain area of revenue? There's revenue sharing, ticket sales, network deals, concessions, etc. How can you pinpoint what area the spending is coming from?

I believe it's that they aren't spending much on player salaries, period. Both teams are dumping large salaries without trying to replace them in any way.

The purpose of revenue sharing is so small market teams can be competitive with larger market teams for paying player salaries. It's not for the owner's of small market teams to pocket that money, as is seemingly being alleged in these 2 cases.