Sox expecting to open '18 with both Avi and Abreu

southsider2k5

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/whit...medium=facebook

While things can always change with one phone call or text, White Sox GM Rick Hahn suggested at SoxFest over the weekend that he expects both Jose Abreu and Avisail Garcia to open the year with the ChiSox (link via MLB.com’s Scott Merkin).

“…[W]e are now basically done with an offseason during which we were able to understand what their value is out in the market,” said Hahn. “We made the assessment we were much better served as an organization to have both with us to start the 2018 season.”

More at link

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I called it a year ago, but with the Marlins having three more desirable OFs that they ultimately sold (plus McCutchen & free agent options), the market just wasn’t going to be there for Avi. We got to hope he can add some power and offset the likely BABIP regression. Then he becomes a potential trade chip at the deadline or a guy worth considering locking up long-term.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 11:49 AM)
I called it a year ago, but with the Marlins having three more desirable OFs that they ultimately sold (plus McCutchen & free agent options), the market just wasn't going to be there for Avi. We got to hope he can add some power and offset the likely BABIP regression. Then he becomes a potential trade chip at the deadline or a guy worth considering locking up long-term.

Plus no one agrees on what his actual worth is. There are so many questions with Avi, it is almost impossible to see him dealt right now. We'll know a lot more in a few months when he either hits like he did last year or regresses some amount.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 11:49 AM)
I called it a year ago, but with the Marlins having three more desirable OFs that they ultimately sold (plus McCutchen & free agent options), the market just wasn’t going to be there for Avi. We got to hope he can add some power and offset the likely BABIP regression. Then he becomes a potential trade chip at the deadline or a guy worth considering locking up long-term.

Agreed and when the deadline comes around the Sox will have a better idea of how close Eloy is. Plus, it gives the Sox time to evaluate the progress of Robert and Adolfo.

I think Adolfo began turning the corner last year and I'm suspecting a breakout from him this year.

IMHO, with the amount of young OF talent in the system, Avi's days are numbered on the south side.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 12:06 PM)
Agreed and when the deadline comes around the Sox will have a better idea of how close Eloy is. Plus, it gives the Sox time to evaluate the progress of Robert and Adolfo.

I think Adolfo began turning the corner last year and I'm suspecting a breakout from him this year.

IMHO, with the amount of young OF talent in the system, Avi's days are numbered on the south side.

I agree that Avi’s days are probably numbered. If Delmonico can show his 2017 stint wasn’t a complete fluke, he quickly makes Avi even more expendable. Having said that, I don’t want to completely rule anything out. If Avi suddenly hits 30+ HRs I may just want to keep him around ;)

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 12:17 PM)
I agree that Avi’s days are probably numbered. If Delmonico can show his 2017 stint wasn’t a complete fluke, he quickly makes Avi even more expendable. Having said that, I don’t want to completely rule anything out. If Avi suddenly hits 30+ HRs I may just want to keep him around ;)

That would make for a very interesting discussion in July if Avi's power comes around. Would be a nice conundrum to have, keep Avi or not to keep Avi, that is the question. :lol:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 05:52 PM)
Plus no one agrees on what his actual worth is. There are so many questions with Avi, it is almost impossible to see him dealt right now. We'll know a lot more in a few months when he either hits like he did last year or regresses some amount.

I can buy this take. If Avi is as productive as last season, somebody's going to be acquiring a very good hitter for a number of years. If those other Sox outfield prospects are much much better than Avi I guess it's win/win for everybody when the Sox finally trade him, hopefully for good relief pitchers. But I remain happy Avi and Abreu will be with the Sox this season. I'm sure "many" will be discussing flipping he and Abreu at the deadline all season which is always annoying.

QUOTE (mac9001 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 08:41 PM)
If there was a bookie taking bets I'd feel more comfortable putting my money on Avi being non-tendered next off-season then getting a big extension.

Non-tendered? How bad do you think Avi will be in 2018?

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 12:16 PM)
I see basically no scenario that Avi is here for the "long haul".

No scenario ? What if he hits 40HR's, OBP is .400, OPS 1.000, SLG .600 while playing decent D and throwing out 20 base runners ? That a scenario.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 02:00 AM)
That probably deceases his odds of staying on the South Side, to be honest.

I second that^

If Avi puts up a crazy season like that he will certainly look to get paid huge money in free agency, and likely not from us.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 08:54 AM)
I’d go the other way, sort of.

If Avi is putting up those type of numbers in this fantasy world, he’d have tremendous value in July, coming off a breakout 2017 season. With the Sox true contention window seemingly 2020 and Avi a FA after the 2019 season, I’m not seeing a lot of scenarios where an extension would be signed.

And nothing would stop the Sox from signing him as a FA after they traded him, as Hahn noted at Soxfest.

This. Trade him and bring in more pieces and if they decide they want him, they can sign him then.

Edited by soxfan2014

If Avi has a breakout season again...say around the allstar break is hitting .300-.310ish, with 15-17 HR's...I think the first thing the Sox should do is explore if he really wants to stay here and if so, will he sign a team friendly contract or not? It's easy for us to sit here and say, nah he wont sign anything team friendly, he's so close to free agency.

But what if he has a comfort level here and doesn't want to leave? Also, right now they are squibbling over whether he gets 5.7 or 6.7 mil this year. In other words, he's yet to get seriously paid in his career. If the Sox offer him like a 6yr/100mil deal...the lifetime of security might be hard to pass up.

QUOTE (Sarava @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 10:19 AM)
If Avi has a breakout season again...say around the allstar break is hitting .300-.310ish, with 15-17 HR's...I think the first thing the Sox should do is explore if he really wants to stay here and if so, will he sign a team friendly contract or not? It's easy for us to sit here and say, nah he wont sign anything team friendly, he's so close to free agency.

But what if he has a comfort level here and doesn't want to leave? Also, right now they are squibbling over whether he gets 5.7 or 6.7 mil this year. In other words, he's yet to get seriously paid in his career. If the Sox offer him like a 6yr/100mil deal...the lifetime of security might be hard to pass up.

He stated this off season that he'd like to spend his career with the Sox. We'll see though. Things can change quickly once real money gets involved.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 06:01 AM)
I second that^

If Avi puts up a crazy season like that he will certainly look to get paid huge money in free agency, and likely not from us.

I know great seasons and the lure of big money makes players forget earlier statements about staying with their current team but Avi has said he'd like to stay with the Sox "forever". ( Abreu has made similar statements).

If Avi continues on an upward path like still hitting .300 but increasing HR to the 25-35 range and is somehow not traded he will be come the face of the franchise and a beloved player. I know many still think his production last year was a mirage and have a really difficult time wrapping their head around Avi becoming an actual superstar but it could happen. Avi and Eloy manning the corners as the cornerstones of the Sox . Avi the savvy veteran and the Kid. Dream big or don't dream at all .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 10:40 AM)
I know great seasons and the lure of big money makes players forget earlier statements about staying with their current team but Avi has said he'd like to stay with the Sox "forever". ( Abreu has made similar statements).

If Avi continues on an upward path like still hitting .300 but increasing HR to the 25-35 range and is somehow not traded he will be come the face of the franchise and a beloved player. I know many still think his production last year was a mirage and have a really difficult time wrapping their head around Avi becoming an actual superstar but it could happen. Avi and Eloy manning the corners as the cornerstones of the Sox . Avi the savvy veteran and the Kid. Dream big or don't dream at all .

I like the dream big scenario. The Zips projection lists Avi's closest comparison as Roberto Clemente. Through Roberto's first 2500 AB's he had a slash line of .285/.306/.373 and had 10 WAR over that five years. Then something clicked and he went .330/.370/.475 and averaged 6.5 over the next 13 years. Yes Roberto clicked at a younger age but Avi lost a full year to injury. Both RF's with cannon arms. I think there has been way too much negative comments about Avi when he was young and then when he had a monster year last year everyone said..."well yes but this" and "well yes but that". Not every great player comes up as Mike Trout. Why is it outlandish that Avi has found the greatness that everyone saw in him when he was 20? I sure like the idea of Jimenez, Robert, Avi outfield if Avi is Clemente.

QUOTE (michelangelosmonkey @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 11:35 AM)
I like the dream big scenario. The Zips projection lists Avi's closest comparison as Roberto Clemente. Through Roberto's first 2500 AB's he had a slash line of .285/.306/.373 and had 10 WAR over that five years. Then something clicked and he went .330/.370/.475 and averaged 6.5 over the next 13 years. Yes Roberto clicked at a younger age but Avi lost a full year to injury. Both RF's with cannon arms. I think there has been way too much negative comments about Avi when he was young and then when he had a monster year last year everyone said..."well yes but this" and "well yes but that". Not every great player comes up as Mike Trout. Why is it outlandish that Avi has found the greatness that everyone saw in him when he was 20? I sure like the idea of Jimenez, Robert, Avi outfield if Avi is Clemente.

Talk about a way to speed up the rebuild...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 12:58 PM)
Avi got a ton of hate up until this past season. Even now he gets more doubt per square mile than any other player on the roster.

I think the skepticism is fair. Plenty of guys have one good year in their career just as plenty of guys break out late. Let's see another season of him to decide.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 01:21 PM)
Which was well deserved, given his production.

What I take issue with is people equating "Avi hate" to the Sox possibly moving him and not locking him up to a long extension after one season of positive production, after 1,500 AB's of putting up a 0.0 WAR in his career.

There are always going to be extremes on this board. In the same 24 hour period we had a poster saying he has a decent chance of being non-tendered in 2018, and a poster calling him Roberto Clemente. Removing the goofball stuff, fans don't "hate" Avi Garcia. Reasonable skepticism isn't hate.

For many it crossed a line into personal.