Indians removing Chief Wahoo

southsider2k5

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (daggins @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 02:36 PM)
Pretty backwards to say this is because a few people were offended. It happened because the logo is a horrifically racist characature based on social mores from 100 years ago.

Yeah, if it weren't for the post counts I'd guess that we'd been invaded by a bunch of alt-right/Russian bots...unless they were playing a really long game.

Edited by 3GamesToLove

QUOTE (ChiSox1917 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 02:56 PM)
Just because someone b****es doesnt mean society should change for them

Today in my research I discovered Minoso wasn't allowed to play a spring training game in Memphis because of a city law banning black players from playing with white ones.

A fan wrote to the Sun-Times b****ing about it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 07:05 PM)
Chicago Sun-Times‏Verified account @Suntimes 23m23 minutes ago BREAKING: Indians removing Chief Wahoo logo from uniforms http://bit.ly/2nlPHc0

Political correctness is running amok. I live in Indian Country and have yet to hear much from American Indians on this subject. But, if someone says something folks are afraid to counter for fear of being labeled racist

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 02:38 PM)
Not even the best logo in their own building

I'm guessing that logo's days are numbered. Although you have to give Rocky and company credit for reaching out to Native American communities to try and be a partner/advocate.

QUOTE (SoxFan2003 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 02:41 PM)
I'm guessing that logo's days are numbered. Although you have to give Rocky and company credit for reaching out to Native American communities to try and be a partner/advocate.

I actually think, even just purely aesthetically speaking, that the Blackhawks logo is meh. I don't get it.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 02:36 PM)
Pretty backwards to say this is because a few people were offended. It happened because the logo is a horrifically racist characature based on social mores from 100 years ago.

Thank you.

It’s almost as if people think because they aren’t offended because they are used to seeing it that it’s not an offensive excuse of a logo made when Americans were racist towards Native Americans.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 02:41 PM)
Political correctness is running amok. I live in Indian Country and have yet to hear much from American Indians on this subject. But, if someone says something folks are afraid to counter for fear of being labeled racist

Just because a small population of Native Americans hasn't specifically mentioned it to you (I'm assuming you're not NA) doesn't mean they aren't offended, nor does it mean it isn't the right thing to do in general.

Maybe this will lead to a full rebrand. With Wahoo going, I can't imagine the "Indians" name will be too far behind.

At the very least, I hope they come up with something new to use as their new primary logo in place of that bland block "C."

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 12:45 PM)
Glad this is finally changing and glad those who are in favor of racist mascots are upset. Not really sure how anyone could defend that mascot.

Thank you!

"Hey wait a minute....I'm a white man and I enjoy stereotype pictures of other races! I am not offended at all"

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 02:41 PM)

Look, man. There's using a Native American logo tastefully (Chief Illiniwek logo, Seminole logo, Blackhawks logo) and then there's this. This logo is horrific

The below is graphic

The portrayal of Native Americans as "redskins" or "having red skin" isn't just offensive, it's horrific. Native Americans were scalped and their blood turned their skin red.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 09:47 PM)
Just because a small population of Native Americans hasn't specifically mentioned it to you (I'm assuming you're not NA) doesn't mean they aren't offended, nor does it mean it isn't the right thing to do in general.

You shouldn’t assume something about me. I was born and raised on an Indian Reservation. You can’t be changing because there is a group saying they are offended because I know many that aren’t. But, regardless that decision was made by the Cleveland franchise and isn’t my business as a Sox fan

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 03:59 PM)
You shouldn’t assume something about me. I was born and raised on an Indian Reservation. You can’t be changing because there is a group saying they are offended because I know many that aren’t. But, regardless that decision was made by the Cleveland franchise and isn’t my business as a Sox fan

You absolutely can. There are simply things you cannot call your franchise

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 11:01 PM)
You absolutely can. There are simply things you cannot call your franchise

There certainly are some things you shouldn’t call your franchise. But, these Cleveland guys aren’t the Cleveland Wahoos. There are Indian high school teams using “Indians” “Warriors” “Renegades” as logos. I am not offended and their fans and players aren’t either. You might be but that’s you and that’s your deal. I am not offended. But, once again this decision is up to the Cleveland franchise. We all see things differently I guess. Not an issue for me

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 03:20 PM)
Thank you!

"Hey wait a minute....I'm a white man and I enjoy stereotype pictures of other races! I am not offended at all"

Always got to play that “white man” card. What would you say to the millions of white people who aren’t offended by Notre Dame’s nickname? I’m all for this logo getting scrapped because of its racist undertones, but please stop playing the “white man” card anytime someone isn’t outraged by something. I’m sure there are plenty of other people of varying races & genders who gives two s***s about this logo.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 02:21 PM)
Always got to play that “white man” card. What would you say to the millions of white people who aren’t offended by Notre Dame’s nickname? I’m all for this logo getting scrapped because of its racist undertones, but please stop playing the “white man” card anytime someone isn’t outraged by something. I’m sure there are plenty of other people of varying races who gives two s***s about this logo.

This forum is comprised of 98% white men.

To be clear, it is being removed from the 2019 uniforms and Chief Wahoo product will still be sold as to protect the trademark of that mark, just not as much product as is out there now.

I don't have a problem with the name "Indians" but Chief Wahoo is a pretty offensive logo on it's own. It's about time.