SoxFest and the Farm

NorthSideSox72

There is plenty of coverage out there of SoxFest, but FutureSox has something a little extra. Rob managed to harangue Scouting Director Nick Hostetler, and Player Development Director Chris Getz, for interviews to discuss the farm system. This article has many of those quotes, spliced with quotes from the main events from Hahn et al. This is our SoxFest coverage, with an emphasis on the farm.

Proof will be in the pudding, but I have really liked Getz as an interview.

Good stuff on Luis Gonzalez too.

I probably will not be able to figure out who the HSer was who they thought would fall as there was 9 picked between the end of first and the sox pick (out of 18). Triston Lutz signed for 2.2 mill so maybe that was the price they thought they had space for.

Still kinda surprised Gavin was such an overslot signing, especially since others thought he went kinda high.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 04:26 PM)
Based on the comments, Robert has to be starting in Kannapolis, right?

That would be my educated guess. But I think he goes to Winston-Salem if he REALLY impresses in Spring Training though.

Right now I think the OFs shake out like this:

A. A+ AA

LF: Gonzalez. Rutherford. Fisher

CF: Robert. Basabe. Polo

RF: Dedelow. Adolfo. Jimenez

4th: Destino. Call. Hawkins

I fully expect Polo, Basabe, & Robert to move up a level after about six weeks and remain the primary CF at their respective levels. I think Call & Gonzalez also move up around that time, with someone from extended spring training getting promoted to Kannapolis.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 06:46 PM)
I feel like they’d just keep destino in extended until he has a spot.

I think they’ll pretty much have rotate their OFs through the DH spot. I guess Kannapolis could be an exception if Zangari is ready and they want to give him and Villa everyday playing time. They may very well consider Destino the better prospect at this point.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 08:43 PM)

A. A+ AA

I fully expect Polo, Basabe, & Robert to move up a level after about six weeks and remain the primary CF at their respective levels. I think Call & Gonzalez also move up around that time, with someone from extended spring training getting promoted to Kannapolis.

It's time for Hawkins to give pitching a shot. If we need to find him ABs we might as well just cut him.

Polo, Fisher & Call should be pushed up a level if necessary to alleviate any AB crunch. But I think you pretty much nailed the opening day lineups.

I am sure they will use the rotating dh option primarily in A and A+. However, there is a likely time share in AA at catcher between Zavala and Collins. From a prospect standpoint, they take priority over Hawkins for me. Maybe there will be some trading during spring training. Also, you never know how injuries may affect the best paper plans.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 07:50 AM)
I am sure they will use the rotating dh option primarily in A and A+. However, there is a likely time share in AA at catcher between Zavala and Collins. From a prospect standpoint, they take priority over Hawkins for me. Maybe there will be some trading during spring training. Also, you never know how injuries may affect the best paper plans.

Always the wildcard in all of the plans.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 30, 2018 -> 06:43 PM)

A. A+ AA

Gonzalez will be in CF primarily at whichever level he's at IMO. Heres my guess on how it shakes out.

Charlotte: Polo, May, Cordell, Palka, etc

Birmingham: Jimenez, Booker, Fisher

Winston Salem: Robert (CF), Adolfo (RF), Basabe (LF), Call

Kannapolis: Gonzalez (CF), Rutherford, Dedelow, Destino

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 08:04 AM)
Gonzalez will be in CF primarily at whichever level he's at IMO. Heres my guess on how it shakes out.

Couple thoughts here. I don’t anticipate Gonzalez spending too much time in Kannapolis, so eventually there will be overlap with him and Robert in CF once both are in Winston Salem. At that point, I think the majority of the playing time in CF goes to Robert. Just seems like they’re bound to be together for at least a few months next season and there’s no easy way around that.

I also think they’re going to start Rutherford off in the more offensive friendly BB&T Ballpark in an effort to boost his confidence (Merkin has already been floating this, though it could just be speculation). And Polo only has 143 PA’s in AA so far in his career. I think they give him six weeks there in CF, at minimum, before bumping him up to AAA. As for Booker, I think he goes wherever there is a temporary opening, whether due to injury or promotion.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 07:50 AM)

Good point and I agree. Hawkins likely be a true 4th OF in terms of playing with some DH at-bats sprinkled in. And that’s fine because Hawkins has proven he’ll never be a big league player. He’s really just a warm body at this point.

Players I'm less concerned about getting primary CF reps:

Basabe

Gonzalez

And that may be poor thinking with Gonzalez.

Birmingham is the easiest one to figure out. I do think Jimenez / Polo / Fisher is right, but polo is one player they could push up. I just don't think they have a CFer ready to push him.

W/S I think will be Basabe / Rutherford / Adolfo / 4th Booker. I'm actually like 90% here. The problem I have is this really sets up Basabe to be pushed aggressively or demoted? If he's having a really rough first 2 months and Robert is ready, you could theoretically move him down to jumpstart him. But what if he's at like a .250/.310/.410 slash line...do you move him up? Birminham will destroy that power.

Kanny the hard part is the college bats from later rounds. Call needs to show he's back, imo. Robert / Gonzalez / Call and Dedelow at DH. Destino you start at extended.

This seems to be okay to me. But it has problems I don't like.

Kanny has 3 players that in a normal situation are likely for promotions after the draft, while W-S has 3 age appropriate players that realistically could stay there all year.

This is a lot of pressure on the group. But maybe that makes for good results. We haven't really had this before.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 08:04 AM)

I wouldn't assume either Tilson or Engel are making the team...at this point.

Then you've got Willy Garcia (most likely 4th) and May in there as well.

Pretty sure they give Robert at least 4-6 weeks at KANNY unless he absolutely dominates Spring Training and gives them no choice. Always better to build his confidence and give him a head of steam into a more difficult assignment where he'll see a lot more breaking stuff compared to Low A.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 09:04 AM)

I think Cordell has as good a chance as Tilson and Engel of making the team.

Does Willy Garcia have options left? I honestly always forget about him and never pencil him into any roster whenever I take the time to think about it. The guy's best chance of making the team are probably injuries. Another option would be for the team to think Cordell and Tilson needing time in the minors since they missed a chunk/all of last season. But even in that scenario where if one of those guys is hurt or in the minors, you probably still have 4 guys ahead of Willy Garcia for a spot (Avi and Leury Garcia, Delmonico, Engel).

Edited by soxfan2014