White Sox interested in adding a DH

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Balta's right -- you can't add effectively in trades/free agency unless you know what you actually have. Letting the kids play is good for their development, but it's just as important for the sake of separating the wheat from the chaff.

Going into next season and potentially bidding for Harper or Machado, wouldn't it be great to know if Delmonico or Sanchez is actually rosterable as a starter? One or the other busting or thriving could change everything. Now is not the time for marginal upgrades.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 09:15 AM)
Kind of ridiculous considering the market to say you are buying high on moustakas. Maybe this is the most depressed market of decade.

Before the offseason, he was projected at 5 years, $85 million.

What’s a war number under 1 worth in this market, roughly the same as Todd Frazier’s deal?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:22 AM)
Balta's right -- you can't add effectively in trades/free agency unless you know what you actually have. Letting the kids play is good for their development, but it's just as important for the sake of separating the wheat from the chaff.

Going into next season and potentially bidding for Harper or Machado, wouldn't it be great to know if Delmonico or Sanchez is actually rosterable as a starter? One or the other busting or thriving could change everything. Now is not the time for marginal upgrades.

Delmonico is probably going to play in left field. So a dh player isn't going to affect him. As for sanchez is a utility player. Even if you give him reps it's probably going to be third but that's only going to be this year especially if they can go and get machado maybe. The only one that would lose playing time would be Davidson and I think the sox would like to see less of him at times.

If the 2nd round pick turns out to be as good as Mike Moustakas, you would be pretty happy with it. I think Boras being his agent kills it all, but I think he would make a lot of sense at a Frazier like discount. The Sox need some LH punch, and if you signed him for a few years, eventually he could probably move to 1B if Abreu hits the road. He would be set up pretty well at GRP.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:27 AM)
Teams like the Yankees, Dodgers and Tigers not spending is killing it.

Exactly. I simply don't see why the players are so surprised that there hasn't been much activity on the FA market this winter. Honestly, I think agents should have seen this slow winter coming a few years back in their databases. All of the facts line up with prudent business rather than owner coercion like the players and agents have suggested. I'm sorry, I don't think choosing to hold my FA money back on a 3B like Moustakas for a historically loaded FA class next year that includes Donaldson, Arenado and Machado is anything but smart management of risk/funds. Let the super 7 (NYY, BOS, LA, CHC, HOU, WAS, CLE) fight over a 1-year deal with Moose (which he'll likely hold out for more years) and then them battle it out for the 2018 WS title--THEN go all in on a player(s) who can make a much larger impact next winter. Smart business. Surprise teams always have the trade deadline to make a move if elevated success puts them into the same conversation as MLB's elite teams for a playoff push. They simply don't need to sign anyone now.

Edited by FT35

QUOTE (FT35 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 02:03 PM)
Exactly. I simply don't see why the players are so surprised that there hasn't been much activity on the FA market this winter. Honestly, I think agents should have seen this slow winter coming a few years back in their databases. All of the facts line up with prudent business rather than owner coercion like the players and agents have suggested. I'm sorry, I don't think choosing to hold my FA money back on a 3B like Moustakas for a historically loaded FA class next year that includes Donaldson, Arenado and Machado is anything but smart management of risk/funds. Let the super 7 (NYY, BOS, LA, CHC, HOU, WAS, CLE) fight over a 1-year deal with Moose (which he'll likely hold out for more years) and then them battle it out for the 2018 WS title--THEN go all in on a player(s) who can make a much larger impact next winter. Smart business. Surprise teams always have the trade deadline to make a move if elevated success puts them into the same conversation as MLB's elite teams for a playoff push.

Boras also has a lot of the guys out there, and he always takes forever. It's on him as well. He makes up a price and pretends that is the market. The fish aren't biting. I don't think there is collusion or conspiracy. It just is the combination of teams wanting to get out of the tax, teams not trying to win, and some of these teams and others saving their cash for next year.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:22 PM)
Carlos Gonzalez, Eduardo Nunez, Jose Bautista (declining for last two years), Logan Morrison, Lucas Duda, Jarrod Dyson, Carlos Gomez and Cameron Maybin all still available at bargain prices.

Yeah I actually wouldn't be opposed to bringing one of them in. Mainly someone like Gonzalez or Duda. I don't think some of the depth we have at OF is going to hit enough to DH and that leaves Sanchez or Davidson which really haven't hit enough either.

Gonzalez would be intriguing because you could spell him in the OF and platoon him at DH with Davidson or Sanchez. He only hit .762 OPS overall last year but had an .832 OPS against RHP. His three year splits are even more pronounced with a .909 OPS against RHP .635 OPS against LHP/

This lineup doesn't really have a LHB of note either.

Not sure he'd be willing to settle for that kind of role though but with the way this offseason has went who knows.

Edited by wrathofhahn

The problem with the FA market, besides the end of the steroid era, is that a third of the league has no interest in adding good veterans long term and more teams than that aren't seriously trying to improve their teams for next year. A player has to be very lucky to have multiple teams really competing for them.

I'm really leaning more and more that IF the Sox go after someone it be Logan Morrison. LHB and if you listen to White Sox Talk with Chuck Garfien, they do a really good job of selling him as the best option available. Could be cheap, and doesn't cost a pick if they pick him up. Could also have some value at the deadline. Still... a part of me really wants to see them us the DH as a revolving door for everyone though and go into the season with what they have.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 12:32 AM)
I'd be more than fine with the Sox bringing in both CarGos. Huge upside on both at the Rate, and you could either flip them at the deadline or surprise contend with both of them on the roster.

I mean I'd love for them to bring a bunch of guys on pillow deals guys like Cargo, Morrison, and Tillman.

Some people are focused on tanking and sure whatever but you can get better prospects via trade. Plus it's more interesting to watch real MLB players. It's one thing to not sign a veteran stop gap because you are worried about blocking them but are we really worried about blocking Davidson at DH? Moving shields to the bullpen?

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 12:27 AM)
I mean I'd love for them to bring a bunch of guys on pillow deals guys like Cargo, Morrison, and Tillman.

Some people are focused on tanking and sure whatever but you can get better prospects via trade. Plus it's more interesting to watch real MLB players. It's one thing to not sign a veteran stop gap because you are worried about blocking them but are we really worried about blocking Davidson at DH? Moving shields to the bullpen?

Delmonico is the guy you worry about taking ABs from. Once Eloy comes up, he'll have to shift at least some of his ABs to DH unless they can finally get a good return for Avi.

Some people still haven't had enough of the veteran stop gap thing. Sheesh. Some things never change. And before you flame me, take a look at the bullpen before you say we are going to make a miraculous run this year. It's a transition year. Since the Shields trade blunder they have been making all the right decisions on acting on trades and not acting on other rumored trades/signings that would've been detrimental to the rebuild. Let's hope it stays that way.

Edited by soxforlife05

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 04:40 AM)
Some people still haven't had enough of the veteran stop gap thing. Sheesh. Some things never change. And before you flame me, take a look at the bullpen before you say we are going to make a miraculous run this year. It's a transition year. Since the Shields trade blunder they have been making all the right decisions on acting on trades and not acting on other rumored trades/signings that would've been detrimental to the rebuild. Let's hope it stays that way.

With the possible exception of selling low on Robertson/Kahnle/Frazier...

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 08:41 AM)
With the possible exception of selling low on Robertson/Kahnle/Frazier...

Possibly. I think the biggest issue with that trade was that the Sox could have gotten a better return for Kahnle. But with Frazier and Robertson attached, it didn't really add anything. If Rutherford improves and is close to being the player it was once thought he would be, it'll look like a good trade.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 10:10 AM)
Possibly. I think the biggest issue with that trade was that the Sox could have gotten a better return for Kahnle. But with Frazier and Robertson attached, it didn't really add anything. If Rutherford improves and is close to being the player it was once thought he would be, it'll look like a good trade.

You're being too kind to Sox brass on that trade. Sox should have gotten a lot more from Yanks.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 01:58 PM)
If the 2nd round pick turns out to be as good as Mike Moustakas, you would be pretty happy with it. I think Boras being his agent kills it all, but I think he would make a lot of sense at a Frazier like discount. The Sox need some LH punch, and if you signed him for a few years, eventually he could probably move to 1B if Abreu hits the road. He would be set up pretty well at GRP.

You could have just brought back Todd Frazier who has been the better baseball player. He's not left-handed but that Frazier deal was a steal.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 12:27 AM)

The Sox don't really care what you or I think is more interesting though. That doesn't matter. They need to find players that could be on their next playoff team that we aren't expecting. Guys like Chris Taylor and Marwin Gonzalez weren't expected. The Sox should be playing Leury, Tilson, Cordell, Palka etc to see if someone is decent and worth keeping around.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 10:05 AM)
You're being too kind to Sox brass on that trade. Sox should have gotten a lot more from Yanks.

I disagree. Like I said, the real value of that trade was Kahnle. Robertson was good but was still owed a lot of money, and Frazier was...well, Todd Frazier. Time will tell with Rutherford and even Tito Polo. Maybe the Sox could have gotten a little more, but definitely not a lot more.