White Sox interested in adding a DH

Y2Jimmy0

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 07:37 PM)
? Of course they’re both cutting payroll, they’re both at the front-end of rebuilds. What exactly are you suggesting?

I think JR may be getting to the point where he will look to sell both in the next couple of years and retire.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 04:30 PM)
Duda on a one year wouldn't be so bad. Of course for the right prospects Kemp works as well. I was actually just about to post this (my own thoughts not heyman) but didn't know where to post speculation. Davidson has more value at 3B. DH will hit better then Sanchez seems like an easy way to upgrade the offense and create some depth with Sanchez coming off the bench

I'm not sure if Duda's output these days is superior to Delmonico's.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 09:25 AM)
I think JR may be getting to the point where he will look to sell both in the next couple of years and retire.

Pretty sure the Bulls go to his son, and I would imagine he would pass down his controlling share(s) of the Sox as well.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 06:28 PM)
I don't think it is a coincidence that the White Sox and Bulls have both slashed payroll significantly. So I don't see any significant bumps in payroll until the Sox are ready to compete................or JR sells.

He was just appointed to the MLB commissioner's exectutive committee. I don't think he plans on selling anytime soon.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 05:32 PM)
Well first of all no one cares about veteran leadership from Matt Kemp or really any other player. If we need more veteran leadership than Jose Abreu then frankly we need better coaches. On top of that, yeah Kemp isn't a guy with that good of a leadership rep.

More than that, you don't need to apologize for the "add a solid prospect to our system" part. Including me, everyone above you has basically said "doing this in free agency isn't a good idea at all, we wouldn't want to just take on Kemp, but if the Dodgers made it worth it to us - by doing as you say and giving us something we'd want, we'd go for it". So we basically agree with you except on the veteran leadership part.

I obviously didn't do any research on Kemp's clubhouse presence, but it was more of an hypothetical "if all you get is an old guy telling jokes on the bench..." rather than a commentary on Kemp in particular.

We are on the same page, though. A rebuilding team with low payroll like the Sox should pursue every angle to add to the farm. I see no issue with helping teams free up salary if it benefits the Sox long term.

In other news, no matter what happens between now and March 29, I am excited to see how these players develop this season.

QUOTE (Charlie Haeger's Knuckles @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 08:56 AM)
Pretty sure the Bulls go to his son, and I would imagine he would pass down his controlling share(s) of the Sox as well.

I think his kids are only keeping one, and in the past I believe he has they would sell the Sox, but I remember reading something a few months ago (that I can't seem to find now so I may have just imagined it) that he had changed his mind and that he would rather they sell the Bulls and keep the Sox.

Either way, I doubt he sells either while he is still alive. Someone brought up how he has the ownership shares in a trust or something similar so that the tax burden would be very minimal if his children decided to sell, but it would be more if he sells while he is still alive. So being the tax guy that he is, he will keep the team just to lower the taxes when they do sell.

I also think the idea of selling off all assets to lower expenses in order to facilitate a trade is flawed. The value of these teams is in the future revenue they could generate. If lowering the expenses drives fans away, it significantly hurts future value and would probably lower the value of the club.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 01:09 PM)
https://www.fanragsports.com/inside-basebal...-affect-others/

The White Sox are in the market for a DH, though at this time there is no evidence that they have any interest in trading for eminently-available Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp. There was a time many, many years ago that the Sox showed some interest in Kemp, but that was many moons ago.

This doesn't make much sense to me.

They need to find playing time for Delmonico, Davidson, Leury, W Garcia, Tilson, Cordell; DH is a position they can pick up at bats.

No need to stop the flow with the dreaded "proven veteran"

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 03:34 PM)
This doesn't make much sense to me.

They need to find playing time for Delmonico, Davidson, Leury, W Garcia, Tilson, Cordell; DH is a position they can pick up at bats.

No need to stop the flow with the dreaded "proven veteran"

Give Abreu a break too.

His 1B defense can leave something to be desired.

Would love to see a 2 year deal for Morrison (depending on money). If his breakout is for real (his dramatically increased FB% suggests it was) he’s got a ton of trade value, and would provide lefty pop that’s sorely missed. Market is so saturated that I don’t see how the money could be particularly high.

Melky Cabrera? I have read some reports that suggest Matt Davidson was a flop in the second half of the season and thus losing some points with the Sox management? Plus supposedly Mike Moustakas is still being linked to the Pale Hose. But, the option of using young Sox talent at DH

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (Username @ Feb 2, 2018 -> 10:19 PM)
Would love to see a 2 year deal for Morrison (depending on money). If his breakout is for real (his dramatically increased FB% suggests it was) he’s got a ton of trade value, and would provide lefty pop that’s sorely missed. Market is so saturated that I don’t see how the money could be particularly high.

Just a hunch but I'm thinking Royals sign him.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 4, 2018 -> 09:36 PM)
Just a hunch but I'm thinking Royals sign him.

Ton of trade value for Morrison might be overselling him a little. He was about as disappointing as Avi Garcia entering last season.

Guess it depends on how the White Sox are on Delmonico, Davidson, Cordell, etc.

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 06:24 AM)
What about adding Moustakas? He's in his prime can play 3rd, then rotate Abreu, Davidson, Delmonico, and him at DH spot as well.

On a one year deal?

You’re buying high and he’s bound to decline in his 30’s. I suppose if you know Davidson and SANCHEZ aren’t part of the future...but it’s far from automatic he’ll be able to repeat last years’ numbers and fetch a good prospect at mid-season.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/.../mike-moustakas

Plus he’s averaging just a 1.4-1.5 war over the last five years.

http://amp.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...e198865874.html

Twins, Cardinals (Gyorko had a good year, though), Yankees the only logical suitors for Moustakas

Edited by caulfield12