White Sox interested in adding a DH

Y2Jimmy0

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (FT35 @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 01:27 AM)
Well Greg, there’s a bit of a difference between general comments based on observation and general comments based on opinion. You can look up the stats on your own if you’d like, or you can call Josh Donaldson and have him fill you in on some Robertson “metrics.” Or ask around...I bet I’m not the only one around here who watches Sox games. Don’t mean to sound demeaning...we still love ya...not sure the board would be the same without your posts!

Good post. Thanks.

Thanks for the nice comment at the end as well. I love all posters here as well except one person scares me a bit thinking I'm the devil reincarnated.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 07:58 PM)
What will be your opinion come Opening Day 2019 and the White Sox payroll is next to nothing?

Personally I can give a tinker's cuss (ya like that phrase?) what the team payroll is in 2019. Honestly I could care less.

My personal opinion is they still won't be ready to really compete anyway in 2019. They'll be better, maybe a game or three over .500, but still not ready.

THAT takes place in 2020.

So again to answer your question, I DON'T CARE... talk to me in 2020 and if they have turned the corner and are starting to "win" I don't care what the payroll is, how big or little the profit margin is or even who owns the damn team. I only care about one thing and one thing only....WINNING GAMES!

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 04:54 PM)
I'm not completely discounting those seasons. It does make sense. Normal progression is a possibility. However by the definition of outlier there are 6 seasons of data and 4 are very similar, two are not. I'm taking it literally there. Which is why this season is huge. He was in the bigs, you can't just throw out his first 2 seasons because he was young for the bigs. This is all of the data we have to go on.

Maybe I'm just not willing to gamble that much on him being better in the future. It probably won't matter anyway because the jankees will give him a blank check.

Why does everyone think this when the Yankees have a potential logjam on the left side of their infield with Gregorius, Torres, and Andujar? Why would they make that worse by signing Machado?

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 11:18 PM)
Why does everyone think this when the Yankees have a potential logjam on the left side of their infield with Gregorius, Torres, and Andujar? Why would they make that worse by signing Machado?

Can any of those guys hit or is all their value tied into the position. We'll have to see but if Torres for example ends up being a .750-780 ish OPS hitter why would you ever move him off 2B/SS? Didi projects to be a .760-.770 ish hitter next year. I'm not the biggest fan of Machado mainly because of his inconsistent bat but the fact remains in a down year he'll still bat around .800 and in one of his good years in the .850-.900 range.

If Machado can play SS .850-900 OPS would upgrade over Didi. Plus in 2020 Didi is a FA anyways. So he'd only have an extra year of control at that point anyways.

I think it would be a major upgrade. However, it's more likely the Yankees invest in SP.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 01:36 AM)
This is total and complete nonsense. That's the polite way of putting it.

JR WILL NOT SELL, he's said that repeatedly, publicly. He is keeping this team until he is dead then his family will put it up for sale, period. End of discussion.

Tax purposes basically prohibit him from selling the club while he is alive. JR is a tax expert, he knows the rules and the loopholes.

Why is that so hard for you to understand, honest question...not trying to be snarky.

I don't care much for JR myself, but he's bought in on the rebuild and the money WILL BE THERE starting next year. No guarantees they get anybody to sign with them but the offers will be out on the table and they will be aggressive.

I think you are correct sir! However, I kind of like the old man

Too many wasted words on obvious trolling. Two things, 1) the development of the players is the most important thing and 2) having a small payroll will come in handy when it's time to fill in the gaps.

Whining about the 2019 opening day payroll on 2/14/18 is just absurd.

Torres is making the switch to 2B and it's possible they could try to improve over Andujar/use him as a trade chip. I could think of other teams that will likely have interest in Machado like the Cardinals (made a huge offer to Pujols and offered more money to Heyward than the Cubs did) and Phillies (low payroll) to throw two names out there. Then of course Yankees and Dodgers could likely be involved (if Dodgers miss out on Harper, they could get creative and shift Seager to 2B, really not that crazy of an idea as he wouldn't be the first player to shift for the good of the team). I would bet on many teams we wouldn't normally expect to be interested and make offers.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 11:16 PM)
Personally I can give a tinker's cuss (ya like that phrase?) what the team payroll is in 2019. Honestly I could care less.

My personal opinion is they still won't be ready to really compete anyway in 2019. They'll be better, maybe a game or three over .500, but still not ready.

THAT takes place in 2020.

So again to answer your question, I DON'T CARE... talk to me in 2020 and if they have turned the corner and are starting to "win" I don't care what the payroll is, how big or little the profit margin is or even who owns the damn team. I only care about one thing and one thing only....WINNING GAMES!

...could NOT care less.

Mark, I say this only because you are a linguist.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 03:31 AM)
Torres is making the switch to 2B and it's possible they could try to improve over Andujar/use him as a trade chip. I could think of other teams that will likely have interest in Machado like the Cardinals (made a huge offer to Pujols and offered more money to Heyward than the Cubs did) and Phillies (low payroll) to throw two names out there. Then of course Yankees and Dodgers could likely be involved (if Dodgers miss out on Harper, they could get creative and shift Seager to 2B, really not that crazy of an idea as he wouldn't be the first player to shift for the good of the team). I would bet on many teams we wouldn't normally expect to be interested and make offers.

The Cardinals and Phillies actually make sense as competitors for his services, I just get sick of seeing people say things like the White Sox won't sign Machado because the Yankees will hand him a blank check. There's many reasons the Yankees probably wouldn't do that, and it seems like overgeneralizing to say the Yankees are going to do that because they're the Yankees. I actually expect their top priorities next offseason to be Harper and Kershaw, and I'd actually be surprised if they don't end up with Harper.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 02:23 PM)
The Cardinals and Phillies actually make sense as competitors for his services, I just get sick of seeing people say things like the White Sox won't sign Machado because the Yankees will hand him a blank check. There's many reasons the Yankees probably wouldn't do that, and it seems like overgeneralizing to say the Yankees are going to do that because they're the Yankees. I actually expect their top priorities next offseason to be Harper and Kershaw, and I'd actually be surprised if they don't end up with Harper.

It just seems like their OF is more certain than their IF, especially if they viewed Harper as a corner OF where they already have Judge and Stanton. I think the Dodgers end up coughing up the extra few mill a year (dude's already making $35 mill a year for the next 3 years. How much more could he possibly get?) plus the extra years along with going hard after Harper. They're getting under that luxury tax this year for a reason.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 02:34 PM)
It just seems like their OF is more certain than their IF, especially if they viewed Harper as a corner OF where they already have Judge and Stanton. I think the Dodgers end up coughing up the extra few mill a year (dude's already making $35 mill a year for the next 3 years. How much more could he possibly get?) plus the extra years along with going hard after Harper. They're getting under that luxury tax this year for a reason.

I see Friedman as more of a "retain his own" kind of guy, but the possibility of the Dodgers getting Harper and the Yankees getting Kershaw is one that I see as plausible. I just don't see Harper and Kershaw on the same team next year, and I think one will be a Yankee, the other will be a Dodger, and both will be the reasons those two teams don't pursue Machado heavily.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 13, 2018 -> 10:18 PM)

They went out and brought in Arod when they had a Hall of Famer at SS. If they think he will improve them that much, they will bring him in.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 02:51 PM)
They went out and brought in Arod when they had a Hall of Famer at SS. If they think he will improve them that much, they will bring him in.

They planned to move him to 3B, though. If Torres and Andujar are as good as most think, they won't have room for Machado, especially if they also get Harper.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 02:57 PM)
They planned to move him to 3B, though. If Torres and Andujar are as good as most think, they won't have room for Machado, especially if they also get Harper.

Eh, I think you underestimate the Yankees ability and willingness to spend for incremental upgrades.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 02:03 PM)
All I know is I really want the Dodgers to sign Harper lol no thanks to Yankees and f*** no to Cubs.

Yeah people keep saying Harper to the Yanks but he has said in the past he hates New York city and he doesn't like their clean shaven and no long hair rules. I think he either stays in Washington dc or LA or the cubs.