SuperBowl LII

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 09:00 AM)
I was really glad Pederson coached that so aggressively and won. He needed every one of those extra points other coaches would have lost for the sake of "Staying in the game".

Against a team like the patriots you have to maximize your scoring drives and try to do whatever possible to get ahead of their last drive.

So much of the armchair coaching on important plays is result plays. Pass falls incomplete? "Shoulda run"! Run stopped short. "Shoulda passed!". But nothing more than "take the points!" and field position homers scream if a sound decision to go for it ends up not coming through.

Had he called that aggressively and lost each one, woulda been real bad for a while.

There's been multiple articles the past two weeks about how the Eagles use analytics and win expectancy in their 4th won decision and are far more aggressive than most teams who are too scared of the Monday Morning QB. Anytime they get to midfield, as early as 2nd down, someone will call up from the booth and say, 4th and 4 or less, go for it, 5-8 yards, your call, anything higher then punt. Besides the win expectancy, it helps your play calling so much. If you know you are going for it on 4th down, you can call so many different plays 3rd down and keep the defense on their feet.

Given how valuable wins are in the NFL, it's still crazy that so few teams do that and end up leaving potential wins on the field.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 09:37 AM)
There's been multiple articles the past two weeks about how the Eagles use analytics and win expectancy in their 4th won decision and are far more aggressive than most teams who are too scared of the Monday Morning QB. Anytime they get to midfield, as early as 2nd down, someone will call up from the booth and say, 4th and 4 or less, go for it, 5-8 yards, your call, anything higher then punt. Besides the win expectancy, it helps your play calling so much. If you know you are going for it on 4th down, you can call so many different plays 3rd down and keep the defense on their feet.

Given how valuable wins are in the NFL, it's still crazy that so few teams do that and end up leaving potential wins on the field.

And with how many other things a coach has to keep track of in a game.

This is an example of why I don't place an overemphasis on number of rings when evaluating all time great QB's. Brady played outstanding and still lost. Yes, he fumbled at a key moment in the game but he otherwise put up ridiculous numbers and moved the offense down the field at will. Yet, his defense failed him and that's why they lost. It's the same reason Rodgers only has one ring right now (well that and Bill B. >>> McCarthy).

I think Tom Brady throwing for 500 yards yesterday and losing should put to rest the idea that QB's should have "W-L" by their names. Sure having a really good QB means you will probably win more than not, but it's not the only factor.

I think If I gave people the stat line for Brad throwing 500 yards and 3 TD they probably assume Patriots won and by a decent margin.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 07:00 AM)
I was really glad Pederson coached that so aggressively and won. He needed every one of those extra points other coaches would have lost for the sake of "Staying in the game".

Against a team like the patriots you have to maximize your scoring drives and try to do whatever possible to get ahead of their last drive.

So much of the armchair coaching on important plays is result plays. Pass falls incomplete? "Shoulda run"! Run stopped short. "Shoulda passed!". But nothing more than "take the points!" and field position homers scream if a sound decision to go for it ends up not coming through.

Had he called that aggressively and lost each one, woulda been real bad for a while.

The only call I truly questioned was after they missed the first PAT they went for 2 on the 2nd touchdown.At the time the 2 would've gave them an 11 pt lead. An extra point make it 10 which I thought was a better choice. They went for the 2 missed and had a 9 pt lead. Just thought 10 pts could have prevented a 1 pt loss . It almost did cost them when the Pats came back for the 1 pt lead.No one on the telecast mentioned it when it happened or when the Pats took the lead.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 5, 2018 -> 09:24 AM)
JT has a good backlog, which made it seem okay, but the way they cut up those songs was terrible, so much pumped through each song you couldn't make out what the hell was happening.

That's what I thought. The people I was with thought it was good but I just assumed I was out of touch. Seemed like the songs were chaotically thrown together.

The game was great. Brady Is the GOAT.

After Seattle and Atlanta melting away against he Patriots , I liked that the Eagles won.

Has there been any explanation as to why Butler was benched?

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Feb 6, 2018 -> 12:24 PM)
That's what I thought. The people I was with thought it was good but I just assumed I was out of touch. Seemed like the songs were chaotically thrown together.

The game was great. Brady Is the GOAT.

After Seattle and Atlanta melting away against he Patriots , I liked that the Eagles won.

Has there been any explanation as to why Butler was benched?

a couple of things have come out. Rapaport saying he was sick, had a rough week of practice and had a minor team rule infraction which was believed to be curfew related. I believe Brandon Browner tweeted that he also went to a Rick Ross concert and got stoned and that caused the team infraction

Mike Reiss‏Verified account @MikeReiss 1h1 hour ago Mike Reiss Retweeted Malcolm CB Butler

Malcolm Butler: "During Super Bowl week, I never attended any concert, missed curfew, or participated any of the ridiculous activities being reported. They are not only false, but hurtful, to me and my family."

What a weird situation, even if he had done those things, who cares, it's the Super Bowl, not a college game where you need to teach a kid a lesson. The way Foles was throwing it may not have mattered, but they were putting special teamers out there instead of Butler, crazy. I bet he said something personal to Belichik who already doesn't seem to love him anyway.