2018 NFL off-season thread

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 11:51 AM)
I have always been an advocate of trading down pretty much regardless of draft selection, but if Nelson is there at 8, I think he is worth the pick. I have never seen a player with such unanimous praise.

Aaron Curry, Chance Warmack, Robert Gallery and Andrew Luck were all “future HOF’ers”

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 12:34 PM)
Aaron Curry, Chance Warmack, Robert Gallery and Andrew Luck were all “future HOF’ers”

Not sure why you have Andrew Luck in that category.

The only reason he won't end up in the HOF is if his shoulder stops him.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 07:02 PM)
Not enough upside in a guard to take one top 10. He could be Steve Hutchinson, and make 12 pro bowls and still not be worth a top 10 pick. Once you get to around 18-20 it is ok, but not until then.

I disagree with that. I get it's not the most important position on the field, but it's not punter we are talking about. If you can lock in an All-Pro guard for 10+ years, I'm all for that, even at the #8 pick. If you go after a CB or LB because they are more important, there's no guarantee that player amounts to anything even though he's rated so high.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Apr 14, 2018 -> 05:02 PM)
Not enough upside in a guard to take one top 10. He could be Steve Hutchinson, and make 12 pro bowls and still not be worth a top 10 pick. Once you get to around 18-20 it is ok, but not until then.

Everyone seems to be guaranteeing Nelson is Hutchinson. No one knows whether that will be true or not and there is a lot more risk projecting olinemen than there was 10 years ago. College blocking schemes differ so much now from the pro game that there is a lot more guesswork in the projection to the NFL. That said, if Nelson ended up being Hutchinson, I'd take that out of the #8 pick all day and every day.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 10:19 AM)
Everyone seems to be guaranteeing Nelson is Hutchinson. No one knows whether that will be true or not and there is a lot more risk projecting olinemen than there was 10 years ago. College blocking schemes differ so much now from the pro game that there is a lot more guesswork in the projection to the NFL. That said, if Nelson ended up being Hutchinson, I'd take that out of the #8 pick all day and every day.

Well, it helps that we have his former O-line coach for that.

Man is there anything worse than NFL Draft Twitter? It's embarrassing constantly seeing overly sensitive fans writing incredibly offensive tweets at the scouting guys because they didn't make a mock draft that they liked, and of course are idiots because some of they gave a good grade on a player that was bad previously.

It doesn't seem like the other sports (can't speak for hockey) bring the same kind of terrible fan as the NFL.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 09:15 AM)
Man is there anything worse than NFL Draft Twitter? It's embarrassing constantly seeing overly sensitive fans writing incredibly offensive tweets at the scouting guys because they didn't make a mock draft that they liked, and of course are idiots because some of they gave a good grade on a player that was bad previously.

It doesn't seem like the other sports (can't speak for hockey) bring the same kind of terrible fan as the NFL.

Especially given the unpredictable nature of the nfl draff

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 09:15 AM)
I think Bears take Nelson if he is there, and trade back(Buffalo, Arizona) if he is taken before their selection. I wont be disappointed either way

I don't think it's likely, but trading down and getting Davenport, Ward or Jackson, and then trading down again in the second, and finally getting a stockpile to move forward with for depth would be really nice.

I just don't see the moves that make our pick valuable unless Allen falls or someone like Chubb gets there (take him).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 16, 2018 -> 10:19 AM)

That's exactly it for me. I keep hearing how Nelson is a sure thing, but tons of guys were sure things before they ended up busting. All of these guys are a risk. I'm taking my chance on a risk at a more important position.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 09:12 AM)
Well, it helps that we have his former O-line coach for that.

But if Hiestand is as good as they say he is, they don't need a guy like Nelson.

Edited by soxfan49

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 02:55 PM)
Would Edmunds be able to play edge in the 3-4 scheme?

I'd love to have him and Vander esch both.

Supposedly LVE's neck is f***ed. Rumors swirled yesterday that he's off of most teams' boards.

I think Edmunds can play EDGE although he never has. I guess the assumption is his athleticism and Fangio's coaching will eventually get him to be successful there. IMO, he's best inside and roaming all over, similar to Anthony Barr.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 04:08 PM)
Supposedly LVE's neck is f***ed. Rumors swirled yesterday that he's off of most teams' boards.

I think Edmunds can play EDGE although he never has. I guess the assumption is his athleticism and Fangio's coaching will eventually get him to be successful there. IMO, he's best inside and roaming all over, similar to Anthony Barr.

Edmunds is so huge though (6'5" 250), he seems like a natural to be OLB/Edge in a 3-4.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 17, 2018 -> 04:05 PM)
I’d take Roquan Smith if he?€s there. No need to make this so difficult. You may be able to even trade down a few spots and get him.

It’s difficult because he’s pretty small. Sideline to sideline, he’s great, but he was a mess in college when the OL got to the second level.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 3:18 PM, Elgin Slim said:

Don't sleep on Davenport, even at 8. He seems like a Pace guy to me. Pace seems to draft traits in the 1st round more than other GMs.

I'd agree. His measurables were almost all better than Aldon Smith, and if it weren't for guns and booze, he'd probably be a 100 career sack guy.