2018 NFL off-season thread

Yikes. Just saw the story. He just put something on his Twitter blantly denying the accusations which he should do, but this is gonna be quite the rodeo. If it true... I can't see how he doesn't get the Ray Rice treatment and maybe more with authorities. 

29 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

LeSean McCoy accused of beating his girlfriend, child abuse, and animal abuse.  And let me tell you, the image is not pretty.  Really hope it's not true.  

The Instagram picture is interesting because the friend posted the picture of McCoy's girlfriend beaten.  She mentions that they've covered up animal and child abuse, and drug use for him, but this is over the line.  He might of threatened her to not say anything, but wow.  Just no words.

Hopefully it's all fake or something, don't ever want to see anyone hurt like that.

McCoy completely denied allegations on IG.

“The woman who was with former Dolphins receiver Marcus Vick when he was arrested for DUI and other alleged crimes had apparently sued Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown earlier this year. Delicia Cordon is listed as the plaintiff in an action against Ronnie Brown in a Miami-Dade County civil/family/probate action filed on April 14, 2008. The reader who sent us the link to the case docket tells us that it’s the same Delicia Cordon who was with Vick and the same Ronnie Brown who plays for the Dolphins.“

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24061432/estranged-girlfriend-buffalo-bills-lesean-mccoy-says-was-beaten-robbed-jewelry

The estranged girlfriend had been living at a house owned by McCoy and was the victim of a "targeted" home invasion and beating.  This story makes it sound like he didn't commit any violence but he may have given the wink, wink.

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just seems kinda weird. Slots are so set in NFL now, doesn't seem like it's worth haggling over whatever it is.

It is very specific contract language that dictates if he gets cut and signs a deal with someone else the team gets paid back the money for whatever contract he signs next.

Example Smith gets cut for his 4th year due $5 million fully guaranteed. Then he goes and signs someone else for $4 million.  The $4 million goes to the Bears and the Bears pay him the $5 million.  Without the clause, Smith collects both the $4 million and the $5 million.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

It is very specific contract language that dictates if he gets cut and signs a deal with someone else the team gets paid back the money for whatever contract he signs next.

Example Smith gets cut for his 4th year due $5 million fully guaranteed. Then he goes and signs someone else for $4 million.  The $4 million goes to the Bears and the Bears pay him the $5 million.  Without the clause, Smith collects both the $4 million and the $5 million.

I'm not sympathetic to this. Don't draft 7th then. There are so many ways to weasel around money in the nfl, just get the guy in camp and deal with that problem 5 years from now

Just now, bmags said:

I'm not sympathetic to this. Don't draft 7th then. There are so many ways to weasel around money in the nfl, just get the guy in camp and deal with that problem 5 years from now

Yeah, I don't really care either, but that is what the fight is about.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah, I don't really care either, but that is what the fight is about.

The NFL players union is such trash compared to mlb's it's astonishing. MLB would never let them undercut players guarantees like that.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

The NFL players union is such trash compared to mlb's it's astonishing. MLB would never let them undercut players guarantees like that.

Pretty sure in MLB, if a player gets cut with money still on the table, the old team pays them all but the league minimum, and the new team pays just league minimum.  I don't think they get any more money on top of what they are owed.

1 hour ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I love when training camp opens, judging by Twitter, the Bears are going 16-0 and winning it all!

To be fair, their two top receivers last year were Josh Bellamy and Kendall Wright. They've added a ton of weapons, their rushing attack will be great and their coaching staff is exciting. It all, of course, lies on the shoulders of Trubisky, but if he's good, I think this year is a 8-10 win team and next year they're 10+ wins, assuming not a lot of significant injuries.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

It doesnt undercut the guarantee. The player is getting a windfall, they get paid by both teams.

This goes against pretty much all contract law. Not saying he isnt smart asking for it, but its not normal contract stuff. 

Common example is:

I have a lease for $1k a month. It has 10 months left. I breach the lease. My landlord then finds a new tenant immediately who pays them $900 per month. I am only liable for $100 per month, not the full $1k. 

18 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

It doesnt undercut the guarantee. The player is getting a windfall, they get paid by both teams.

This goes against pretty much all contract law. Not saying he isnt smart asking for it, but its not normal contract stuff. 

Common example is:

I have a lease for $1k a month. It has 10 months left. I breach the lease. My landlord then finds a new tenant immediately who pays them $900 per month. I am only liable for $100 per month, not the full $1k. 

Its actually pretty standard in the NBA. Guys who get waived on a guarantee and sign somewhere else get their full guarantee from the team that waived them plus whatever they sign for. 

Edited by Dick Allen

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Its actually pretty standard in the NBA. Guys who get waived on a guarantee and sign somewhere else get their full guarantee from the team that waived them plus whatever they sign for. 

Right, besides for sports it would be unheard of. 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Those sports have guaranteed contracts though. I think it’s crap that in the one contract that has guarantees they are forced into, the team gets to diversify their risk despite the fact that they have decided not to retain the services of the player.