2018 NFL off-season thread

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

I think it is directed more toward sponsored who want less controversy, no matter the topic. When people don't see the kneeling, the controversy will go away. This is their goal anyway.

It isn't going away anytime soon. Now you're going to have the other side upset. It benefits nobody to take a political stance on this issue. They were in a lose-lose situation. Damned if they do and Damned if they don't. At that point the status quo is the best option and just hope it goes away over time. 

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It isn't going away anytime soon. Now you're going to have the other side upset. It benefits nobody to take a political stance on this issue. They were in a lose-lose situation. Damned if they do and Damned if they don't. At that point the status quo is the best option and just hope it goes away over time. 

I think the sponsors wanted them to do something to get this off of the telecasts. This is probably the best way. It may not work but they needed to at least seem to do something.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I think the sponsors wanted them to do something to get this off of the telecasts. This is probably the best way. It may not work but they needed to at least seem to do something.

The sponsors aren't being realistic then. They have a far larger demographic to lose on the other end. I wish I knew who these sponsors are so I could not buy their products. If you're going to ask an organization to do that, then put your name behind it and deal with the consequences, To do it behind closed doors is cowardice. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The sponsors aren't being realistic then. They have a far larger demographic to lose on the other end. I wish I knew who these sponsors are so I could not buy their products. If you're going to ask an organization to do that, then put your name behind it and deal with the consequences, To do it behind closed doors is cowardice. 

All you need to do is look at which ones pulled their ads last year. I don't remember who they are but their were a couple of significant ones. It was publicized last year. It remains to be seen if the NFL can attract them back or gain new ones to take their place. It's all about generating the revenue. I would guess there isn't a large enough group that will boycott to make that big of a difference. By mid-season the controversy will be gone IMO.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

All you need to do is look at which ones pulled their ads last year. I don't remember who they are but their were a couple of significant ones. It was publicized last year. It remains to be seen if the NFL can attract them back or gain new ones to take their place. It's all about generating the revenue. I would guess there isn't a large enough group that will boycott to make that big of a difference. By mid-season the controversy will be gone IMO.

I believe Papa Johns is the only major company that said they were going to pull ads and that blew up in their faces and resulted in an association with Alt Right that they didnt like, and Papa John himself got sacked.  Budweiser made a little noise and did nothing.  the other companies that actually did were a NJ car dealer, and Check into Cash.

2 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Godwin's Law is undefeated

This isn't hyperbole.  I am providing a literal comparison of what happened back then and how it is being perpetrated today.  We're supposed to learn from history, not ignore it.

On 5/26/2018 at 11:20 AM, BigSqwert said:

This isn't hyperbole.  I am providing a literal comparison of what happened back then and how it is being perpetrated today.  We're supposed to learn from history, not ignore it.

"Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

I heard that somewhere. 

I think we're about to repeat the era from the 1890s-1940s. They call it the 80 year rule, because the overwhelming majority of those who lived during that time are no longer living or no longer able to warn the people of the signs of the negative consequences of the actions those in power took in their early lives. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

On 5/26/2018 at 11:20 AM, BigSqwert said:

You dont need to go back that far. In 1997 the NBA suspended a player for not standing or staying in the locker room during the national anthem then instituted a rule saying players had to stand. That player was out of the league when he was 29. 

Edited by ptatc

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am falling for the Nagy content hard.

I love that he showed up at the firefighter's funeral.  I'm sure he did it out of respect, but somebody definitely taught him how to cater to this fanbase.  

This is why it was foolish for the NFL to cave to a bully. No matter what they do, Trump is going to create problems. It is a personal vendetta that stems from his failure in the USFL.

By trying to appease Trump they are chasing a fan base they will never catch, while at the same time annoying the fan base they have. If they keep sticking their heads in the sand, they are going to lose more and more. At some point they have to call Trump on his lies.

11 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

This is why it was foolish for the NFL to cave to a bully. No matter what they do, Trump is going to create problems. It is a personal vendetta that stems from his failure in the USFL.

By trying to appease Trump they are chasing a fan base they will never catch, while at the same time annoying the fan base they have. If they keep sticking their heads in the sand, they are going to lose more and more. At some point they have to call Trump on his lies.

I disagree on the fan base they will never catch portion of your comment.  A lot of people are all about the anthem stuff now and love this decision.

21 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I disagree on the fan base they will never catch portion of your comment.  A lot of people are all about the anthem stuff now and love this decision.

I dont think those people were really fans anyways. There is no way to prove it, but for the most part the cities where NFL teams are located are generally liberal. 

Edited by Soxbadger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

LeSean McCoy accused of beating his girlfriend, child abuse, and animal abuse.  And let me tell you, the image is not pretty.  Really hope it's not true.  

The Instagram picture is interesting because the friend posted the picture of McCoy's girlfriend beaten.  She mentions that they've covered up animal and child abuse, and drug use for him, but this is over the line.  He might of threatened her to not say anything, but wow.  Just no words.