**2018-2019 NCAA Football Thread**

Brian

2 minutes ago, bigruss said:

Illinois dismisses Freshman All American Safety Bennett Williams, having a hard time keeping talented kids on the field lately.

Apparently kept breaking team rules. I'm guessing it's drug/alcohol related, but haven't seen any details leak.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/27/2018 at 8:48 PM, LittleHurt05 said:

Didn't watch today, but all the hope I had after the USF, Penn St and Rutgers game is completely gone.  I give Lovie a super long leash, but ouch.

Still relevant. 

And my in law adopted team has to fire their head coach after losing to a 2 win rival.  

Go Bears!

I think I’m ready to give Odom an extension.

He had the incredible fortune of inheriting a 5 star QB, but he has done a good job of seeking out innovative OCs, and winning 8 games in SEC with Missouri’s recruiting (which I have a hard time believing anyone could bump into top 20 consistently) is impressive. I mean, see Tennessee, with way more money and prestige, and how much they’ve struggled to have a coach get them there.

On 11/24/2018 at 9:18 AM, bmags said:

I think I’m ready to give Odom an extension.

He had the incredible fortune of inheriting a 5 star QB, but he has done a good job of seeking out innovative OCs, and winning 8 games in SEC with Missouri’s recruiting (which I have a hard time believing anyone could bump into top 20 consistently) is impressive. I mean, see Tennessee, with way more money and prestige, and how much they’ve struggled to have a coach get them there.

I still think he's kind of a bad coach, but he has shown improvement in each of his 3 seasons so that's something. The first year and a half felt like rock bottom. The SEC East is so bad that you can win 8 games without being a top 25 team (at least in the rankings, Mizzou is probably a top 25 team talent wise). The forgiving conference schedule has helped a lot. Florida and Tennessee being trash (in addition to playing Vandy and Kentucky already every year) and Arkansas being the permanent crossover gives plenty of opportunity for wins.

That said, this team should have won 10 games, no question. Losing Hall probably cost them that, but this was a mistake-prone, somewhat unorganized team for much of the season. Odom may get better, but he won with Pinkel's talent this year and probably should have won more. I am encouraged that there seems to be good talent in the underclassmen, but I definitely still have reservations about Odom. If someone wants to take him off our hands (I saw a Louisville rumor get reported), I wouldn't mind.

7 hours ago, danman31 said:

I still think he's kind of a bad coach, but he has shown improvement in each of his 3 seasons so that's something. The first year and a half felt like rock bottom. The SEC East is so bad that you can win 8 games without being a top 25 team (at least in the rankings, Mizzou is probably a top 25 team talent wise). The forgiving conference schedule has helped a lot. Florida and Tennessee being trash (in addition to playing Vandy and Kentucky already every year) and Arkansas being the permanent crossover gives plenty of opportunity for wins.

That said, this team should have won 10 games, no question. Losing Hall probably cost them that, but this was a mistake-prone, somewhat unorganized team for much of the season. Odom may get better, but he won with Pinkel's talent this year and probably should have won more. I am encouraged that there seems to be good talent in the underclassmen, but I definitely still have reservations about Odom. If someone wants to take him off our hands (I saw a Louisville rumor get reported), I wouldn't mind.

I just don’t think Missouri is a program that should move on from good enough coaches without knowing they can get someone better.

On 11/28/2018 at 8:32 AM, bmags said:

I just don’t think Missouri is a program that should move on from good enough coaches without knowing they can get someone better.

What about Barry Odom makes you think he is good enough? I still think he's kind of a bad coach. He might get better, but watching this team was painful in the first half of the season. Played below talent level and then appeared to fix it when they played bad teams (and a sort of bad Florida team).

9 hours ago, danman31 said:

What about Barry Odom makes you think he is good enough? I still think he's kind of a bad coach. He might get better, but watching this team was painful in the first half of the season. Played below talent level and then appeared to fix it when they played bad teams (and a sort of bad Florida team).

A win against Florida in the swamp when Fla is top 15 is impressive regardless if you think the rank is inflated.

But I say he’s good enough because I look around at Tennessee, at Arkansas, even South Carolina, at schools with better resources, better recruiting and have been much closer to underperforming than Odom, who this year basically ended up where his recruiting class would say he would.

Missouri can get to 8 wins in east, but that’s only because much richer, better recruited programs keep flailing. That could easily happen to Missouri but it didn’t. Odom doesn’t appear to be a great coach in recruiting or in game but he has found two good OCs and has appeared to progress on defense.

At least he didn’t call for App State to be there...lol...he had that ESPN conference championship call, better than Boise in the snow, I suppose.

If CFU can somehow manage to knock off LSU or Georgia in a bowl game without Milton, and a new coach in Josh Heupel, Benetti might have a point.

Pat Forde argues for a Bama/UGA rematch.  No thanks.

https://sports.yahoo.com/yes-alabama-georgia-belong-college-football-playoff-013638376.html

48 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

NCAA Football,  the one sport where half the teams have zero chance to win a championship,  even if they never lose a game.

I can't quite tell if you're in support of that, or mocking it, but that's absolutely how it should be. The most impressive wins for UCF were Cincinnati, Memphis and Pitt. My Nittany Lions were ultimately a second-tier team in the B1G but they'd have gone undefeated with that schedule, too.

Honestly, I don't think non-Power 5 teams (excusing ND) should really ever break #15 in the rankings, tops. Better yet, the non-Power 5 conferences should be severed from D1 and constitute their own division. No more of this annual thumping of nobodies by ranked teams in the first weeks of the season. Power 5 vs Power 5 only.