Jump to content
Brian

**2018-2019 NCAA Football Thread**

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

NCAA Football,  the one sport where half the teams have zero chance to win a championship,  even if they never lose a game.

I can't quite tell if you're in support of that, or mocking it, but that's absolutely how it should be. The most impressive wins for UCF were Cincinnati, Memphis and Pitt. My Nittany Lions were ultimately a second-tier team in the B1G but they'd have gone undefeated with that schedule, too.

Honestly, I don't think non-Power 5 teams (excusing ND) should really ever break #15 in the rankings, tops. Better yet, the non-Power 5 conferences should be severed from D1 and constitute their own division. No more of this annual thumping of nobodies by ranked teams in the first weeks of the season. Power 5 vs Power 5 only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say it every year but 8 teams would be great. 5 conference champs then 3 wild cards. UCF would be in and create interest.

1. Alabama vs 8. UCF

2. Clemson vs 7. Washington 

3. ND vs 6. Ohio State

4. Oklahoma v 5. Georgia

Just spitballing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Sir said:

I can't quite tell if you're in support of that, or mocking it, but that's absolutely how it should be. The most impressive wins for UCF were Cincinnati, Memphis and Pitt. My Nittany Lions were ultimately a second-tier team in the B1G but they'd have gone undefeated with that schedule, too.

Honestly, I don't think non-Power 5 teams (excusing ND) should really ever break #15 in the rankings, tops. Better yet, the non-Power 5 conferences should be severed from D1 and constitute their own division. No more of this annual thumping of nobodies by ranked teams in the first weeks of the season. Power 5 vs Power 5 only.

It was more of a general comment. I dont think UCF should be in the playoff, but it's just the one sport where a team can win every gNe for two years and not have any chance for a title. Even in basketball, while only a few blue bloods ever win, all 300+ teams have a path to the title if they win their conference tournament.

A D 2 style football tournament would be great, but the bowls would never let that happen and money talks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Brian said:

I say it every year but 8 teams would be great. 5 conference champs then 3 wild cards. UCF would be in and create interest.

1. Alabama vs 8. UCF

2. Clemson vs 7. Washington 

3. ND vs 6. Ohio State

4. Oklahoma v 5. Georgia

Just spitballing 

I like the overall idea, but Alabama would murder UCF. It wouldn't create interest- it'd just be a waste of a quarterfinal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I kinda agree with the sir, kinda not. I do think there is too much pressure by casual fans who always have an instinct to protect an underdog story.  Even when some bigger programs are bad, the away environments in some schools are so much tougher than in smaller conferences.

UCF though is probably a top fifteen team. It's just a matter of what the playoff is supposed to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to break this to ND fans, but ND should be blackballed from the CFP until they join a conference. This year would have been a perfect year to send a message, and they should have done it. 

ND played nobody good other than Michigan, and I think they played nearly a UCF level schedule this year. If you think that UCF shouldn't be in, then ND shouldn't be in either. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I hate to break this to ND fans, but ND should be blackballed from the CFP until they join a conference. This year would have been a perfect year to send a message, and they should have done it. 

ND played nobody good other than Michigan, and I think they played nearly a UCF level schedule this year. If you think that UCF shouldn't be in, then ND shouldn't be in either. 

Notre Dame had the 63rd hardest schedule. UCF had 83rd.

 

Clemson? 76.

#banclemson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bmags said:

Notre Dame had the 63rd hardest schedule. UCF had 83rd.

 

Clemson? 76.

#banclemson

They need to start punishing teams for scheduling cupcakes. Yeah, Clemson shouldn't be there either. the ACC sucks right now. OSU and UGA are far more deserving than either ND or Clemson.

You want a NC? Schedule better teams.  

OSU's destruction of Michigan was probably the single most impressive win in NCAAF this year. I despise OSU, btw. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They need to start punishing teams for scheduling cupcakes. Yeah, Clemson shouldn't be there either. the ACC sucks right now. OSU and UGA are far more deserving than either ND or Clemson.

You want a NC? Schedule better teams.  

OSU's destruction of Michigan was probably the single most impressive win in NCAAF this year. I despise OSU, btw. 

I'd argue that Purdue's destruction of Ohio State was more impressive.  It looked like college vs. high school when Purdue had the ball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I'd argue that Purdue's destruction of Ohio State was more impressive.  It looked like college vs. high school when Purdue had the ball.

I should have qualified it with amongst the top 10 teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They need to start punishing teams for scheduling cupcakes. Yeah, Clemson shouldn't be there either. the ACC sucks right now. OSU and UGA are far more deserving than either ND or Clemson.

You want a NC? Schedule better teams.  

OSU's destruction of Michigan was probably the single most impressive win in NCAAF this year. I despise OSU, btw. 

OSU played one great game all year.  They got absolutely destroyed by a mediocre Purdue team and Maryland had them beat if their backup QB could hit a wide open receiver on a game winning 2 pt conversion attempt.  How is OSU more deserving than ND (and I despise ND).  ND beat Michigan and NW and didn't lose a game this year (let alone a 30 point loss to a 6-6 team).  Clemson scheduled Texas A&M and South Carolina out of conference.  Not world beaters but certainly better than the trash teams OSU played this year in the non-conference (they can't help that TCU sucked but still). 

This is just like last year when OSU fans were upset they didn't get in over Alabama when they were dominated by Oklahoma and got absolutely destroyed by Iowa.  Don't lose by 30 points to 6-6 teams.  End of story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

It was more of a general comment. I dont think UCF should be in the playoff, but it's just the one sport where a team can win every gNe for two years and not have any chance for a title. Even in basketball, while only a few blue bloods ever win, all 300+ teams have a path to the title if they win their conference tournament.

A D 2 style football tournament would be great, but the bowls would never let that happen and money talks.

Use the bowl games as prelims, pick a final 4 after the new years bowl games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Use the bowl games as prelims, pick a final 4 after the new years bowl games. 

Exactly.  I don't know why people keep acting like the bowls won't let a playoff  happen.  They would become part of it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Exactly.  I don't know why people keep acting like the bowls won't let a playoff  happen.  They would become part of it

Before we had #1 vs #2 mandated, it was pretty rare right? Let the first round be the traditional bowls, with traditional matchups - Big 12/SEC, Big 10/Pac 10, a couple wild cards for the Central Floridas/Boise States that break through. Just set the rule that the #1, #2, #3, and #4 teams coming out of the conference championships don't match up in the bowl round. Now you've got intriguing games for all the big bowls,  you've got the top 10 teams all in action on New Years day, you get the classical historic matchups, and you get one last test before the final 4. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they they are worried about increasing the amount of games. That would be adding 2 more games for the final 4 teams, and those games are going to be during NFL playoffs (unless you do them Friday/Monday.)

And there is no way that anyone is going to give up 1 or 2 pushovers to start the season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

Brian is very sad that Meyer is retiring 

He knew this was the last year he was going to get us. 😐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

I think they they are worried about increasing the amount of games. That would be adding 2 more games for the final 4 teams, and those games are going to be during NFL playoffs (unless you do them Friday/Monday.)

And there is no way that anyone is going to give up 1 or 2 pushovers to start the season. 

It's not just adding games, but it's also travel.  Part of the fun of bowl games is the fanbase gets to travel.  While places like Boise and New York in the winter are hit and miss, it's still just one bowl game.  Whereas, if it's an 8 team playoff, it's hard for a fanbase to travel to up to three different games not even knowing where they will be.  

For instance, let's say Miami is in the playoff, they are assigned a week one in San Diego at the Holiday Bowl, they win and go back to the Orange Bowl and win that and go to the Championship game in Phoenix or LA?  That's hard for the University, but harder for the fan base.  


I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, just that ticket sales might be difficult.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CanOfCorn said:

It's not just adding games, but it's also travel.  Part of the fun of bowl games is the fanbase gets to travel.  While places like Boise and New York in the winter are hit and miss, it's still just one bowl game.  Whereas, if it's an 8 team playoff, it's hard for a fanbase to travel to up to three different games not even knowing where they will be.  

For instance, let's say Miami is in the playoff, they are assigned a week one in San Diego at the Holiday Bowl, they win and go back to the Orange Bowl and win that and go to the Championship game in Phoenix or LA?  That's hard for the University, but harder for the fan base.  


I'm not saying it shouldn't happen, just that ticket sales might be difficult.

I really don't think this is an issue, money or travel.   They figure all this travel out for the NCAA tournament, fan bases travel, and the most important thing the ratings come through.  These schools would make money at each stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

I really don't think this is an issue, money or travel.   They figure all this travel out for the NCAA tournament, fan bases travel, and the most important thing the ratings come through.  These schools would make money at each stage.

They would absolutely make money, but if the fan base doesn't travel and the bowls are essentially downgraded, ticket sales will suffer.  Bowl games are still businesses. I'm really not talking about the semi-finals up.  But that first round is going to be tough for the teams, the bowls and the fan bases. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×