PECOTA projects Sox at 73 wins

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 01:14 PM)

Interesting I think the bullpen will be better then that. Also no way the OF looks like that. If Delmonico hits he's our everyday LF.

Moncada should hit better then .233 with a .740 ish OPS. Hard to see Anderson hit .265 with a .289 OBP. He may hit .240 with a .289 OBP lol.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 12:27 PM)
Interesting I think the bullpen will be better then that. Also no way the OF looks like that. If Delmonico hits he's our everyday LF.

Moncada should hit better then .233 with a .740 ish OPS. Hard to see Anderson hit .265 with a .289 OBP. He may hit .240 with a .289 OBP lol.

Is that really predicting 16 HRs from Delmonico in 254 PAs? I may be his biggest fan here, but those numbers are beyond nuts.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 12:47 PM)
Is that really predicting 16 HRs from Delmonico in 254 PAs? I may be his biggest fan here, but those numbers are beyond nuts.

Was going to say, the PA number looks low. Majority of the league is righty so you would assume to pencil him in for at least 400 about. And he likely won't be in a straight platoon so likely more. Especially with those numbers.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 02:57 PM)
73 wins is right around what I was thinking as well. 72-73.

Me too! I even took some crap on here for posting that I thought it was possible for us to win 72-75 games. I think one of these sites (ZiPS?) projected just over 60 wins and I think that's considerably lower than where they will be. There are too many horrific teams in our division to only win 60 games.

Edited by FT35

QUOTE (FT35 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 02:34 PM)
Me too! I even took some crap on here for posting that I thought it was possible for us to win 72-75 games. I think one of these sites (ZiPS?) projected just over 60 wins and I think that's considerably lower than where they will be. There are too many horrific teams in our division to only win 60 games.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see us be a bottom 3 team next year, I'm just banking on most of our young core take incremental steps forward this year, as well as solid debuts from Kopech and Eloy.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 04:41 PM)
I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see us be a bottom 3 team next year, I'm just banking on most of our young core take incremental steps forward this year, as well as solid debuts from Kopech and Eloy.

Absolutely possible and likely! I think we will be a very bad team—one of the worst records in MLB, but we play 60 games against bad teams who we beat at a .500 clip last year when we were awful and they were not rebuilding. Comparing last year’s apples to this year’s oranges, maybe! But logically, it’s conceivable to win 30+ games vs. KC, Det & Min. Of the remaining 100, I think it’s possible to win 40 (7 games vs Pit and Cin). If I remember correctly when I crunched those numbers a while back, 72 wins would’ve put us around the 8th worst record by last year’s standings. Lots more teams going the rebuild route this year too. Who knows...it’s fun to speculate!

I definitely think 73 wins is pretty spot on. They are going to surprise some people with how competitive they are this season, but there's going to be a lot of "just missed" type losses. The bullpen is filled with complete question marks and could be a revolving door of dumpster fires all season. Plus with how young the rotation is, I would think we're going to see the likes of Volstad and co. again to finish out September. But that's fine, this year is all about development and hopefully graduating the likes of Kopech and Jimenez from the minors.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 01:54 PM)
Another year "Mired In Mediocrity". Wait Til Next Year!!!!

Actually another year building "closer to being very competitive for the foreseeable future..."

Which sure as hell beats the "mired in mediocrity" we've seen for the last decade.

Yet again (for the 1,234,323 rd time with you) ownership is NOT changing, the front office is NOT changing this was the best that could be done under those circumstances.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 12:35 PM)
Actually another year building "closer to being very competitive for the foreseeable future..."

Which sure as hell beats the "mired in mediocrity" we've seen for the last decade.

Yet again (for the 1,234,323 rd time with you) ownership is NOT changing, the front office is NOT changing this was the best that could be done under those circumstances.

We may not actually win the 2020 world series, but the fact that I can be cocky and say that we are going to win it, and have it be totally believable - that's a helluva lot more fun than the "and if Matt Latos, Jimmy Rollins, Austin Jackson, and John Danks are all way better than anyone thinks they will be then we have a shot at being .500" we saw a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Hosmer was a 4+ WAR player with KC last year. Hunter Dozier is next 1B up on the depth chart. You have to think that his value at this point in his career isn't that much over replacement value. You also have to think that at least 1 of Hosmer's wins was against us!! So -4 Wins for KC and +1 for us...that's a 5 win impact on our year. Cool.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:45 AM)
Hosmer was a 4+ WAR player with KC last year. Hunter Dozier is next 1B up on the depth chart. You have to think that his value at this point in his career isn't that much over replacement value. You also have to think that at least 1 of Hosmer's wins was against us!! So -4 Wins for KC and +1 for us...that's a 5 win impact on our year. Cool.

I would actually expect KC to sign Morrison (from the area) now.

I bought mlb.com so we better go .500. I like the projection in this thread.

FYI: My radio listening tonight was JT The Brick. Oddly I gladly heard somebody supporting my controversial position AGAINST tanking. He was furious and said pretty much what gets me in trouble on here. He said owners like Cuban should give money back to the fans if they admit tanking or it is obvious. He said sports are in great danger if teams disrespect the sport by tanking. He ripped the Sixers and he ripped the Astros saying their organization should not deserve credit for building a winner. He said they built a winner by tanking and getting tons of draft picks. What pleased ME the most is he backed my contant whining about owners gladly charging the fan for beer and parking and burgers big buck$$$$ when the team is trying to lose.

Finally he said he realized fans embraced tanking and it is very dangerous to the integrity of sports to build teams that way. He said as a kid if the Yankees stunk they stunk. They didn't tank. He's a Yankee fan. There are other ways to win besides losing on purpose for 4-5 seasons, folks. And apparently I am not the only one who feels this way. If u think I'm lying listen to JT the Brick podcast when it's put up of tonight's show.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 09:57 PM)
I bought mlb.com so we better go .500. I like the projection in this thread.

FYI: My radio listening tonight was JT The Brick. Oddly I gladly heard somebody supporting my controversial position AGAINST tanking. He was furious and said pretty much what gets me in trouble on here. He said owners like Cuban should give money back to the fans if they admit tanking or it is obvious. He said sports are in great danger if teams disrespect the sport by tanking. He ripped the Sixers and he ripped the Astros saying their organization should not deserve credit for building a winner. He said they built a winner by tanking and getting tons of draft picks.

Finally he said he realized fans embraced tanking and it is very dangerous to the integrity of sports to build teams that way. He said as a kid if the Yankees stunk they stunk. They didn't tank. He's a Yankee fan.

Not sure who he is but he sounds like an idiot