PC out of Control

greg775

I'm taking my two daughters to one of these, at my public elementary school, in a couple weeks or so. They call it a "Sweetheart Dance", for female students and whatever parent they want to bring. From last year, its 95% fathers, but there were a few mothers/women too. No one around here seems offended.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 02:46 PM)
I'm taking my two daughters to one of these, at my public elementary school, in a couple weeks or so. They call it a "Sweetheart Dance", for female students and whatever parent they want to bring. From last year, its 95% fathers, but there were a few mothers/women too. No one around here seems offended.

Just make sure not to kiss your 7 year old on the lips.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 05:31 PM)
Having school events and stopping half the students is a bad plan. Fathers and daughters can go on "dates" during their own time.

Damn I completely missed the whole Trump wants to date his daughter comedic angle. No wonder why all the Trumps are upset.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 03:00 PM)
Funny for a mod to say this. What is a political message board for? To discuss things. Greg's brain finds this topic appalling and interesting so he posts something. And it's bait? Thanks for indicating my contributions are worth nothing always.

Eh, Greg. You're waaaaay over inflating this. You might as well gripe about sock hops.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 11:31 PM)
Having school events and stopping half the students is a bad plan. Fathers and daughters can go on "dates" during their own time.

Disagree. You can have one outing for dads/daughters and one for moms/sons. Of course it'll be considered sexist now that many districts have mom/sons bowling night instead of a dance. "WHO SAYS GIRLS WANT TO DANCE??? THEY SHOULD BE ALLOWED TO BOWL AND THE BOYS DANCE THIS YEAR!!"

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 11:39 PM)
Anyone outraged by this needs to seek therapy.

Not really. PC is ruining the world in many respects. Here is a nice outing wrecked by PC. Again ... let's just protect our kids 24/7. They will stay in the house at all times playing on their cell phones and computers and not be allowed any outing because PC can be tied into just about EVERYTHING now. Little girls like to be with the dad one night a year in such a setting. My facebook family stuff is full of daddy/daughter dance stuff this time of year. And moms love it too.

QUOTE (Quin @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 12:07 AM)
Eh, Greg. You're waaaaay over inflating this. You might as well gripe about sock hops.

Not really. Daddy/daughter dances are still popular in Illinois/Kansas. Don't know about sock hops. I assume they've been dead and gone long ago.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 12:35 AM)
He's still mad about the PC folks who forced sock hops to admit interracial couples.

If I wrote this about somebody I think I'd be banned. You would say I'm implying a poster is racist which is very sad and wrong. I think you should apologize personally.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 03:10 AM)
Schools aren’t social matchmaking companies.

So you are against outings like Daddy/Daughter dance? Just keep it all business all the time? It's the point I'm trying to make. Get rid of everything out of the "ordinary" in our world. Just do it. We're all PC all the time and that's how it has to be. School is school by gosh. Work is work. When you get in the privacy of your own home is when you can let your collar down, no other time lest you offend somebody.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 03:05 AM)
Every post you make on this board validates my theory that you're 72 years old and learned how to use a computer 4 years ago. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

What bothers me the most on here is you guys act like I"m the only one expressing these opinions or seeing these news items and commenting on them. I'd venture to say 85 percent of people are talking about the things I'm talking about on here. You guys think nothing is a big deal living in your own world. Also even though I'm despised on here I can't believe some of the insults don't result in bans. I'm not out to get anybody banned but calling me a racist is pretty bad. (Not you). If it was a joke it woulda been in green.

Edited by greg775

Greg,

I saw the article on yahoo news. But outside of this thread, not a single person I work with, saw today or heard from mentioned it at all. Its really a nonstory that is being pandered to create fauxrage at the mythical "PC" culture.

I will agree that there is no need to insult etc. I hope that you realize I try and treat you with respect and provide legitimate discussion about the issues, even if we may disagree. I also hope that one day by being reasonable and respectful, Ill be able to open your eyes to thinking for yourself and asking if what you are "hearing" make sense.

Just think for yourself. Dont get outraged because some guy on the radio/tv who is paid to sensationalize false outrage told you to. There are so many things to be really outraged about, father daughter dances arent one of them. Especially when the premise of the outraged is based on false information.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 04:41 AM)
Greg,

I saw the article on yahoo news. But outside of this thread, not a single person I work with, saw today or heard from mentioned it at all. Its really a nonstory that is being pandered to create fauxrage at the mythical "PC" culture.

I will agree that there is no need to insult etc. I hope that you realize I try and treat you with respect and provide legitimate discussion about the issues, even if we may disagree. I also hope that one day by being reasonable and respectful, Ill be able to open your eyes to thinking for yourself and asking if what you are "hearing" make sense.

Just think for yourself. Dont get outraged because some guy on the radio/tv who is paid to sensationalize false outrage told you to. There are so many things to be really outraged about, father daughter dances arent one of them. Especially when the premise of the outraged is based on false information.

Thanks Badger, A lot of my relatives went to U of Wisconsin and live there. I agree with your second paragraph. I do respect your posts and legit discussion. I appreciate this post and appreciate those who treat me with this sort of demeanor/respect. I don't understand the guy who called me a racist. I've said I'm not perfect and don't always express myself correctly but no where in my posts does a racist behavior exist. I am kind and believe in the Golden Rule and try to treat people with respect at all times.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 04:46 PM)

Ah, a public school still doing it, nice. I think they've pretty much "sock hopped" all of those at ours.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 05:22 PM)
Just make sure not to kiss your 7 year old on the lips.

I... assume this is a joke about Trump or something? I think I missed the reference.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 07:38 AM)
Ah, a public school still doing it, nice. I think they've pretty much "sock hopped" all of those at ours.

This school, while overall very good, is still kinda living in this weird North Shore bubble (though we are technically too far west to be North Shore). They also have all their systems set up so that if both parents put in email addresses as contacts, by default they will only reach out to the "Mother" one for a lot of things. And they schedule things that are clearly still working on the assumption that the Moms stay at home while the Dads work, ignoring the fact that most families there now have two working parents. It can be frustrating, and I've made that clear to the Principal.

I think I've finally come to a realization about the policy Greg really does care about. It permeates almost every post he makes back here, every thread he makes back here. It sums up why he doesn't care about any policy that you think he should care about. What he really cares about is that he's better. His way is the right way and you must respect that in all things.

A while ago, I saw someone online who said that every time you see someone complaining about "PC", replace the phrase "PC" with "Treating people who aren't like you with respect" and you'll see their true motive. That's Greg's #1 issue, it is his overriding, driving force. People who are different from him do not deserve respect under any circumstances, but because he is a white, cis, hetero, male, he deserves it and he demands it.

Start with this thread. Here's some of his words. "Remember if you have them, somebody may be offended." - an entire thread about how he's totally offended that someone else might take offense. His offense is righteous, the way things were done for him is correct and it should never be considered that other people might need to be treated as human also. "Anybody who has been to a Father-Daughter dance realizes this is special and there's nothing wrong with it." - and the people who don't belong in that single category, they don't deserve to participate. They should have known better than to be the wrong gender. Or to not have 2 parents.

You can do this for hours. Take the people that Greg finds to like politically - Rush Limbaugh, Trump/Trump Jr, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Glenn Beck, Jesse Ventura. You've got people who broke the law and were drug addicts, you've got people with credible allegations of sexual assault, you've got racists, you've got people who are just plain jerks. But what do they have in common? They are white males who have treated people who aren't like that with the total lack of respect they deserve.

A thread comes up about a black woman who people are talking about running for office? "How well does she know policy!?" that same day, he assumes that Donald Trump understands policy while he's tweeting about something he saw on Fox News and in the process he undermines his own administration's policy, because he doesn't understand it.

Hillary Clinton? That woman is corrupt and needs put in her place. Women shouldn't be trusted. Scared that Donald Trump might accidentally get Honolulu vaporized? Sure but at least he's not a woman.

Hurricane response? Sure Puerto Rico isn't in good shape but the response to FLorida and Texas was fine so it deserves praise. The people who are going to schools without electricity don't really count.

OMG the blacks are rioting? STOP THEM! OMG the Eagles fans are rioting? I saw nothing.

Up and down the list that's his one, singular driving force. His life experiences are the right ones. It doesn't matter if a person is better educated, it doesn't matter the kind of case they'll make for why their life experiences should be treated as equal to his. His are superior, and to say that anyone else deserves that same respect is "PC" and should be shunned. He has to be superior at all times because of who he is. It's his birthright.

So next time he does this, play this game. Replace the term "PC" with "Treating people who aren't like you with respect". You might have to edit the grammar a little bit to make the sentence fit, but it will work every time. This entire thread is about how he deserves the right to disrespect anyone who has a different family makeup than him or a different gender than him. His gender and family structure is the right one, it deserves respect, it is PC to treat any other human being with respect just because they're human, and that's the worst thing you can possibly do because his way being the right one is his birthright.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:20 AM)
I think I've finally come to a realization about the policy Greg really does care about. It permeates almost every post he makes back here, every thread he makes back here. It sums up why he doesn't care about any policy that you think he should care about. What he really cares about is that he's better. His way is the right way and you must respect that in all things.

A while ago, I saw someone online who said that every time you see someone complaining about "PC", replace the phrase "PC" with "Treating people who aren't like you with respect" and you'll see their true motive. That's Greg's #1 issue, it is his overriding, driving force. People who are different from him do not deserve respect under any circumstances, but because he is a white, cis, hetero, male, he deserves it and he demands it.

Start with this thread. Here's some of his words. "Remember if you have them, somebody may be offended." - an entire thread about how he's totally offended that someone else might take offense. His offense is righteous, the way things were done for him is correct and it should never be considered that other people might need to be treated as human also. "Anybody who has been to a Father-Daughter dance realizes this is special and there's nothing wrong with it." - and the people who don't belong in that single category, they don't deserve to participate. They should have known better than to be the wrong gender. Or to not have 2 parents.

You can do this for hours. Take the people that Greg finds to like politically - Rush Limbaugh, Trump/Trump Jr, Joe Biden, Bernie Sanders, Glenn Beck, Jesse Ventura. You've got people who broke the law and were drug addicts, you've got people with credible allegations of sexual assault, you've got racists, you've got people who are just plain jerks. But what do they have in common? They are white males who have treated people who aren't like that with the total lack of respect they deserve.

A thread comes up about a black woman who people are talking about running for office? "How well does she know policy!?" that same day, he assumes that Donald Trump understands policy while he's tweeting about something he saw on Fox News and in the process he undermines his own administration's policy, because he doesn't understand it.

Hillary Clinton? That woman is corrupt and needs put in her place. Women shouldn't be trusted. Scared that Donald Trump might accidentally get Honolulu vaporized? Sure but at least he's not a woman.

Hurricane response? Sure Puerto Rico isn't in good shape but the response to FLorida and Texas was fine so it deserves praise. The people who are going to schools without electricity don't really count.

OMG the blacks are rioting? STOP THEM! OMG the Eagles fans are rioting? I saw nothing.

Up and down the list that's his one, singular driving force. His life experiences are the right ones. It doesn't matter if a person is better educated, it doesn't matter the kind of case they'll make for why their life experiences should be treated as equal to his. His are superior, and to say that anyone else deserves that same respect is "PC" and should be shunned. He has to be superior at all times because of who he is. It's his birthright.

So next time he does this, play this game. Replace the term "PC" with "Treating people who aren't like you with respect". You might have to edit the grammar a little bit to make the sentence fit, but it will work every time. This entire thread is about how he deserves the right to disrespect anyone who has a different family makeup than him or a different gender than him. His gender and family structure is the right one, it deserves respect, it is PC to treat any other human being with respect just because they're human, and that's the worst thing you can possibly do because his way being the right one is his birthright.

from greg's 2012 thread about this exact same topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
"I really hate political correctness" generally translates to "I really wish there weren't such consequences for being an unapologetic asshole."

I think I'd respect people's complaints about it more if they just said that instead.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 7, 2018 -> 10:01 PM)
What bothers me the most on here is you guys act like I"m the only one expressing these opinions or seeing these news items and commenting on them. I'd venture to say 85 percent of people are talking about the things I'm talking about on here. You guys think nothing is a big deal living in your own world.

Had you not started this thread, I'd bet that 85% of the people on this board would've never even heard about this story. I haven't run across a single news article, Facebook post or interacted with another person IRL that has brought this story up.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 09:08 AM)
Had you not started this thread, I'd bet that 85% of the people on this board would've never even heard about this story. I haven't run across a single news article, Facebook post or interacted with another person IRL that has brought this story up.

Likewise

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 11:08 AM)

Not an issue in Texas. And I work in education.