Dave Duncan joins White Sox pitching staff

bmags

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 8, 2018 -> 10:36 PM)
Now we just need a couple of high upside arms this year so they can work their magic. No point of wasting them on Shields. If I'm Tillman I'm calling the Whitesox and begging to sign a pillow deal

NOW, make Duncan the PC, and show Coop the door. Coops been getting mulligans since 2005.

This Kevin Towers quote from 2013 can probably be cut-and-pasted in to Hahn's statement on his role here as well...

On November 13, 2013, the Arizona Diamondbacks announced they had hired Duncan to be a special assistant to general manager Kevin Towers as a pitching consultant. "With Dave, he's going to set his own schedule and it will depend on what he wants to do and what he's capable of doing", Towers commented of his role. "During spring training, be available to work with pitchers, catchers and pitching coaches as they're preparing for a game. Breaking down video of pitchers we might be considering for the draft. Plus, targeting guys in our system and getting his input – who he likes, who is close."

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 08:28 AM)
This Kevin Towers quote from 2013 can probably be cut-and-pasted in to Hahn's statement on his role here as well...

On November 13, 2013, the Arizona Diamondbacks announced they had hired Duncan to be a special assistant to general manager Kevin Towers as a pitching consultant. "With Dave, he's going to set his own schedule and it will depend on what he wants to do and what he's capable of doing", Towers commented of his role. "During spring training, be available to work with pitchers, catchers and pitching coaches as they're preparing for a game. Breaking down video of pitchers we might be considering for the draft. Plus, targeting guys in our system and getting his input – who he likes, who is close."

This sounds about right. Hopefully not only does he help the immediate future but his impact (along with Cooper) by working with pitching coaches may last a long time.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 09:16 AM)
Or the current playoff format where they would have made the playoffs.

That team was 8 games under .500 after the ASB and looking at the same odds as the 2008 team faced in TB after Quentin went down.

What starting pitcher was going to win a wild card game at that point?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 09:37 AM)
That team was 8 games under .500 after the ASB and looking at the same odds as the 2008 team faced in TB after Quentin went down.

That team was never more than 3 games under and that was at 1-4. :huh

I know they didn't have great years, but I certainly wouldn't count out Buehrle, Contreras or Garcia coming up big in a one game shot.

I always thought that team had enough offense to just carry Anderson's lack of production in CF to have his glove in the lineup. I seem to remember thinking Makowiak cost the team 3-4 games in CF (not his fault, he shouldn't have been in that position).

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 12:13 PM)
I know they didn't have great years, but I certainly wouldn't count out Buehrle, Contreras or Garcia coming up big in a one game shot.

I always thought that team had enough offense to just carry Anderson's lack of production in CF to have his glove in the lineup. I seem to remember thinking Makowiak cost the team 3-4 games in CF (not his fault, he shouldn't have been in that position).

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/5373/year/2006

Contreras wasn’t the same pitcher after the injury in late May that year. 5.40 ERA after the Break.

Buehrle 6.44 after the ASB. Freddy Garcia at 4.12 would have been the best choice, probably. But his k-rate was already dipping precipitously.

Jerks went through his own issues in the second half...so our lockdown bullpen disappeared as well (Politte/Cotts, etc.)

Edited by caulfield12

Buerhle, Contreras.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 01:38 PM)
http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/5373/year/2006

Contreras wasn’t the same pitcher after the injury in late May that year. 5.40 ERA after the Break.

Buehrle 6.44 after the ASB. Freddy Garcia at 4.12 would have been the best choice, probably. But his k-rate was already dipping precipitously.

Jerks went through his own issues in the second half...so our lockdown bullpen disappeared as well (Politte/Cotts, etc.)

That doesn't mean they couldn't have dominated in a 1 game wild card matchup. Granted, they were likely too worn out to be effective through out the entire playoffs, but Contreras had 2 starts in September where he went 8 IP, gave up 1 run and K's 8 in one and 9 in the other. Those starts probably win you a wild card game.

Garcia threw 2 8 IP 1 hitters in September 2006, without allowing a run in either. He had another start of 7.1 and one of 6.1 IP allowing just a run in each. Those all seem like pretty good starts to me. In September he had an ERA of 2.49 with a BAA of .190, and OPS against .533 and a WHIP below 1. This seems like a guy you want on the mound in a Wild Card game to me.

Buehrle didn't have a dominating start in Sept, but I wouldn't bet against him in a big spot.

Garland had 2 starts of 6 IP with 1 run allowed. And another of 8.1 IP with 2 ER (3 R).

Even Javy Vazquez had 4 starts of 10+ Ks in September (so maybe judging a guy primarily by K rate is a terrible idea), going at least 7 IP in all of them. But in 6 starts he allowed 1,2,3,4,5 and 6 runs. That is a little weird.

I stand by my initial thought without even looking at anything. Any of Buehrle, Contreras or Garcia would have given the Sox a chance to win a WC game (and even if you couldn't line it up, neither Garland nor even Vazquez would automatically eliminate you -- though I really wouldn't have trusted Javy in a situation like that). But who knows. They were each capable of throwing a clunker also.

Edited by turnin' two

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 9, 2018 -> 03:29 PM)
The pitching faded, they were gassed from the previous season

I agree. With that offense, they would have won 110 games if they got the same pitching as the year beforehand.

They were still a playoff team if they had put their better CF in CF. I will go to my grave believing that. One of the reasons the pitching staff was gassed was that every single game they had to throw an extra 10 or 15 pressure pitches with runners on base for a ball or two hit to CF that wasn't caught and should have been. The stats don't agree with me, but this is a hill I'll die on. CF defense absolutely killed that team.