Esteban Loaiza arrested (Drug Kingpin?)

BurlyMan56

https://sports.yahoo.com/ex-mlb-star-pitche...-151448624.html

According to TMZ, authorities found what they allege is “sophisticated aftermarket compartment used to conceal contraband” in Loaiza’s car during a minor traffic stop. From there, they got a warrant to search Loaiza’s house and found the alleged cocaine. The San Diego Union-Tribune, meanwhile, is reporting that Loaiza was spotted by the border crime suppression team driving away from a house it believed was part of a smuggling operation.

QUOTE (soulfly @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 01:52 PM)
It wasn't very clear, but he was referring to Loaiza's ex wife, not Halladay's. There was no fake news there.

Oh that makes more sense. Just wanted to be clear because Halladay was by all accounts a family man and was only married once from 1998 till his death.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 02:29 PM)

Wow, good luck in witness protection dude. There's no way he has the fortitude to do the time. He's going to sing. Sounds like he was part of a pretty big operation and you know they want they guys he bought from.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 02:34 PM)
Wow, good luck in witness protection dude. There's no way he has the fortitude to do the time. He's going to sing. Sounds like he was part of a pretty big operation and you know they want they guys he bought from.

I don't know if I'd say "fortitude". He'd be killed in a matter of days I'd bet if he was in that deep with a cartel. Sometimes these guys don't have a lot of choice...it's not like they hit up a cartel member and say, "Hey...got any openings...I'd like to fill out an application...". Sometimes they're forced to. Threats against family members...loved ones...etc... Who knows how/why he got sucked in...

QUOTE (Wanne @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 01:38 PM)
I don't know if I'd say "fortitude". He'd be killed in a matter of days I'd bet if he was in that deep with a cartel. Sometimes these guys don't have a lot of choice...it's not like they hit up a cartel member and say, "Hey...got any openings...I'd like to fill out an application...". Sometimes they're forced to. Threats against family members...loved ones...etc... Who knows how/why he got sucked in...

Also could be his own drug habit being used against him... in theory.

Note that nobody has confirmed the amount of drugs or even which substance yet. The charge means *at least* 20 kilos, but it could plausibly be much more. We also don't know what substance is per the reports as the concern about Fentanyl exposure led cops to not test it themselves but instead wait on a lab.

His (ex-)wife's death is interesting in that the exact cause of the plane crash was never determined because the plane crashed at such a high speed there was basically no physical evidence. The plane was thought to be in tough shape, though, and the pilot was 78 years old. On the other hand, the company that owned the plane (and was the manager of the now-deceased wife) had multiple planes seized by the DEA for unspecified reasons around that same time.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Feb 12, 2018 -> 11:11 AM)
Baseball players have to be a great market to sell cocaine. Lots of money. Lots of long road trips and hours. Lots of alcohol and partying. Doesn't stay in your system long. Somebody has to get all these players their coke.

I had a buddy that used to do blow and, for a while, his hookup was a member of the Braves bullpen. I couldn't even tell you the name if you asked, he wasn't a well known player, but that always tripped me out that a guy playing in MLB would be stupid enough to not only do cocaine but also sell it. I'm with you...I think the stuff is probably pretty prevalent in the league among some of the younger, single guys.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 10:32 AM)
I had a buddy that used to do blow and, for a while, his hookup was a member of the Braves bullpen. I couldn't even tell you the name if you asked, he wasn't a well known player, but that always tripped me out that a guy playing in MLB would be stupid enough to not only do cocaine but also sell it. I'm with you...I think the stuff is probably pretty prevalent in the league among some of the younger, single guys.

What year? lol

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...