Tony

Sox sign Hector Santiago

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 01:25 PM)
Yessssss. Best news of the offseason

Was hoping this thread was just going to be everyone taking fun little jabs at you but you had to ruin it by being the first post.

Edited by Rowand44

I am not trying to pick fights or anything, just urious. When the Sox got Soria, peripherals were mentioned as something that showed he was well worth acquiring. Santiago's peripherals are and for the most part, always have been poor. Why , other than it's a free look is there optimism with this signing? I have no problem with it, and wish the Sox signed a few more, but isn't it being realistic to think this signing more than likely won't turn out a bargain?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 04:48 PM)
I am not trying to pick fights or anything, just urious. When the Sox got Soria, peripherals were mentioned as something that showed he was well worth acquiring. Santiago's peripherals are and for the most part, always have been poor. Why , other than it's a free look is there optimism with this signing? I have no problem with it, and wish the Sox signed a few more, but isn't it being realistic to think this signing more than likely won't turn out a bargain?

Yes it is perfectly reasonbable. I don't think anyone predicts he will be good. Who knows. Hes a flyer who could surprise. Throw enough crap at the wall something is bound to stick right?

I expect a lot of starts early this year that are done by the 5th inning. He's a good option to eat the rest of those games up, if they're blowouts

I reread the thread and no one is doing cartwheels over the signing. Everyone is just kind of on the it’s worth a flyer bandwagon.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 05:38 PM)
I reread the thread and no one is doing cartwheels over the signing. Everyone is just kind of on the it’s worth a flyer bandwagon.

I am not saying cartwheels, but there definitely is more optimism than the Jake Elmore signing, and realistically, they probably turn out the same in terms of how they ultimately benefit the team.

I am thinking this signing is more of a favor than RH or KW being optimistic he can contribute. He is a bad fit for the Sox ballpark, just like Holland. But unlike Holland, he doesn't cost $6 million, so I see where it makes sense.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 06:07 PM)
I am not saying cartwheels, but there definitely is more optimism than the Jake Elmore signing, and realistically, they probably turn out the same in terms of how they ultimately benefit the team.

I am thinking this signing is more of a favor than RH or KW being optimistic he can contribute. He is a bad fit for the Sox ballpark, just like Holland. But unlike Holland, he doesn't cost $6 million, so I see where it makes sense.

Because the bullpen is wide open for innings whereas plate appearances aren't? At least Santiago has some sort of track record. Granted mostly as a starter but those days of him being a reliable starter are probably over. Might as well see if there is something there in the pen.I'm

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 06:19 PM)
Because the bullpen is wide open for innings whereas plate appearances aren't?

Thatis the other thing, people said Santiago was misused when he was in the bullpen. I get he is a recognizable name and they do get more play than career minorleaguers, but more than likely we will all forget the Sox ever signed him a year from now. I just think anyone with an expectation he makes the team is probably a bit over optimistic. Hopefully he shows he's healthy and can do something, but bad peripherals, declining stuff, injury concerns, and Coop was a bit frustrated with him the first time around spells something different. Again, I have no problem with the signing. It isn't like Derek Holland when they just wasted $6 million on something with extremely small odds of working out. As long as they have a mound to put him on and a catcher to throw to, bring the minor league contract guys in by the truck full.

I think we're looking at the Sox long reliever and swing man. Solid signing. Wonder if the Sox carry 3 lefties to start the year in Avilan, Santiago, and Cedeno?

QUOTE (Quin @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 01:52 PM)
Immediately thought of you bud 😂

Same. Big fan of his as well, but more off the field. One of the nicest people I've ever met. Awesome guy.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 11:33 PM)
I expect a lot of starts early this year that are done by the 5th inning. He's a good option to eat the rest of those games up, if they're blowouts

That is a good point. If he's healthy he figures to get a lot of work in the scenarios you described. No offense but when Shields and Gonzalez are your top two pitchers ... time to duck and get Hector ready in the 4th.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 03:14 PM)
There is zero risk, but he pretty much sucks. He hasn't had a 1 WAR season since he left the White Sox. He seemed to do pretty well vs. the White Sox, though.

I think he was an all-star in 2015 with a 1.8 WAR season--mostly due to a great 1st half before the correction came in August.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 08:44 AM)
The pitch that changed his career may have ruined his arm. He's probably a pen guy now.

I honestly haven't even looked at him as anything else.

Totally :lolhitting

QUOTE (greg775 @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 10:41 PM)
That is a good point. If he's healthy he figures to get a lot of work in the scenarios you described. No offense but when Shields and Gonzalez are your top two pitchers ... time to duck and get Hector ready in the 4th.

You are such a f***ing lame troll. Atleast be funny or interesting.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 08:50 AM)

It’s almost like he hasn’t figured out we’re rebuilding :huh

QUOTE (Dunt @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 03:50 PM)

At least I never call people names and am open for discussion. Just because I am not a "front office lover" doesn't mean I'm not a fan. Yes I'm disgusted by our top two starters this season. I feel like our division is pretty pathetic and we could actually do some things to go .500 or so while rebuilding at the same time. It might cost a few dollars which the Sox won't provide. They'll gladly charge big bucks to the fans, though. Your post was not a good one. First sentence cusses me out. Second one tells me what to do. Nice.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 17, 2018 -> 04:48 AM)
It’s almost like he hasn’t figured out we’re rebuilding :huh

Sorry if the idea of James Shields pitching as our frontline No. 1 starter disgusts me at this time. Miguel is somewhat likeable but not very good either.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 07:07 PM)

Did Hahn really give up $6 Large for Holland?