Love the rebuild, despise this attitude

balfanman

“This year, knowing that I’m going to be at second base every day, I’m going to feel more comfortable.”

There may be another element to this. Boston changed him from 2nd to 3rd and the results were bad both offensively and defensively. When he came over in the trade, Hahn said they would move him back to 2nd. He may have been still uneasy last spring but after a year in the organization, he goes into this spring w a permanent position.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 08:01 AM)
One of the reasons I like SoxTalk over the other White Sox sites is because fans can be very open expressing their opinions. White Sox Interactive has banned a number of people I know for making comments that their administrators considered offensive. I was banned their recently for a week because they they didn't like my comments about Hahn and the White Sox organization. Even tho they lifted my ban I don't think I will post there anymore.

This. Also it's great to see that there's been plenty of activity on this site all winter long and you can hear the crickets as all they do are their stupid polls at White Sox Interactive.

Edited by FloydBannister1983

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 08:31 PM)
Thank you Greg. I'm simply asking an honest question. I do not know Moncada personally and I hope that this is just a poor translation. But if there is an attitude issue it could easily grow into a situation leading to a clubhouse problem. We all have seen athletic prima donas. That particular quote just hit me wrong, but as I said in the beginning, it could well be a misquote.

There's no attitude problem.

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 08:26 AM)
He hit .230 last season. He may have a bright future but it's a long stretch to say he proved himself.

In his age 22 season he put up a wRC+ of 104. If he had played an entire season he would have put up almost 3 fWAR.

Yea he needs to cut his K rate a bit and get his average up but he more than proved he belongs in the bigs.

This thread is dumb and thread starter should feel dumb for starting it.

I'm trying to think of a scenario where Moncada could play poorly enough in Spring Training to deserve losing the job and I can't. Maybe if he never swung the bat? Didn't make contact once? Struck out every PA? And even if he did do that there's no one to replace him at the moment. Yolmer is slotted at 3rd.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 01:51 PM)
The job at 2B is Moncada's. At present I would say Yolmer ends up at 3B at best or as the super sub player. Of course things have away of happening in spring training that we don't anticipate

Ideally Yolmer really is a 3 WAR 3B and Jake Burger has some work to do in order to supplant him on the next good Sox team.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 02:03 PM)
Ideally Yolmer really is a 3 WAR 3B and Jake Burger has some work to do in order to supplant him on the next good Sox team.

His frame more lends itself to 1B or DH. Hope he sticks as a stocky 3B but it will be hard. First step is proving he can hit he had a decent rookie year in A ball. Needs to show more power but hopefully that comes with time.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 18, 2018 -> 09:31 PM)
Thank you Greg. I'm simply asking an honest question. I do not know Moncada personally and I hope that this is just a poor translation. But if there is an attitude issue it could easily grow into a situation leading to a clubhouse problem. We all have seen athletic prima donas. That particular quote just hit me wrong, but as I said in the beginning, it could well be a misquote.

Reading that quote a couple times, this doesn't strike me as cocky or presumptuous at all. I mean, it's very possible that they literally TOLD him that it's his job at this point. Giving a guy a sense of security is a pretty common management tactic for some who you feel is pressing due to high expectations. I've seen no indication anywhere that he's loafing or not taking his job seriously.

I don't know what it is about the quotation, but I think you're misinterpreting it. Don't let it make you hate the guy, there's much more evidence he has a good attitude than a bad one -- and lots of weird things get said during ST interviews when guys are constantly pressured to say something even when they don't have anything to say.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 02:50 PM)
Reading that quote a couple times, this doesn't strike me as cocky or presumptuous at all. I mean, it's very possible that they literally TOLD him that it's his job at this point. Giving a guy a sense of security is a pretty common management tactic for some who you feel is pressing due to high expectations. I've seen no indication anywhere that he's loafing or not taking his job seriously.

I don't know what it is about the quotation, but I think you're misinterpreting it. Don't let it make you hate the guy, there's much more evidence he has a good attitude than a bad one -- and lots of weird things get said during ST interviews when guys are constantly pressured to say something even when they don't have anything to say.

The way he speaks so respectfully of Abreu and how he’s asserted himself in a mentor role for Robert seems to me to speak volumes about the guy’s character, and in a very good way.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 12:33 PM)

If the thread is dumb why comment on it? Why make multiple comments on such a dumb thread? Why make it all the way to the second and third page if it's so dumb? Couldn't you just read the first comment, consider it dumb and move along?

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 12:33 PM)

I'm so sorry that I offended you and others here. I've enjoyed coming here for years to learn about and ask questions of knowledgeable fellow White Sox fans. But apparently I'm much to stupid to hang with you folks so I guess I'll leave so as not to make the site any dumber.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 09:16 PM)
I'm so sorry that I offended you and others here. I've enjoyed coming here for years to learn about and ask questions of knowledgeable fellow White Sox fans. But apparently I'm much to stupid to hang with you folks so I guess I'll leave so as not to make the site any dumber.

Don't leave. People get mad when people start new threads especially if it's a non majority opinion. You have your right to express concern about a player or two. A lot of people on this board have roasted players in the past. I've stood up for many and gotten killed. Jenks, Dye, Wise, Ozzie, Davidson, etc. However I've also been allowed to rip some like Rios and have been hard on them.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 03:16 PM)

Let that be a lesson to you. Having any doubts about Moncada is tantamount to blasphemy. And he's no longer even the crown jewel. Wait till the first time you post "Jimenez's 0-4, 3 strikeout night was less than ideal" or "I'm no expert but I don't think 8 walks from Kopech is to be desired". Whoa Nelly the reaction to that will dwarf the outrage at just mildly expressing your thoughts about Moncada.

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 07:33 AM)
Let that be a lesson to you. Having any doubts about Moncada is tantamount to blasphemy. And he's no longer even the crown jewel. Wait till the first time you post "Jimenez's 0-4, 3 strikeout night was less than ideal" or "I'm no expert but I don't think 8 walks from Kopech is to be desired". Whoa Nelly the reaction to that will dwarf the outrage at just mildly expressing your thoughts about Moncada.

It’s not having doubts about Moncada, it’s suggesting there is an attitude problem that doesn’t exist and that Yoan should potentially lose his job with a poor spring. I think the reactions here are fair because those are both pretty hot takes IMO, but obviously there are ways to communicate that without the nastiness some posters used. Balfaman has been around for a while and deserves to be treated with respect.

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 07:33 AM)

If you think those statements will elicit outrage here then you must have never visited a game thread.

QUOTE (FloydBannister1983 @ Feb 19, 2018 -> 03:03 PM)
If the thread is dumb why comment on it? Why make multiple comments on such a dumb thread? Why make it all the way to the second and third page if it's so dumb? Couldn't you just read the first comment, consider it dumb and move along?

You could be asked the same thing... but I am sure it is different right?