Moustakas linked to Sox again

Jose Abreu

I would prefer that they sign Moustakas to a 4, or 5 year deal, at approximately $12Million per year, than try, next year, to sign Machado to a 10 year deal, at $30 to 35 Million per year. Their future lineup is shaping up to not need a $350 Million, RH hitter.

Edited by Lillian

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 04:07 PM)
Makes zero sense to sign him unless it's at some ridiculous discount like three years 30 million.

Why do you say that?

The argument would be: There's no chance of us signing Machado for $$$$$$$$$$$$$, and Donaldson vs. Mike Mous is iffy due to age + Donaldson would command much more $$$.

QUOTE (Real @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 04:06 PM)
Nice, Todd Frazier 2.0

He doesn't draw as many walks as Frazier, but he doesn't strike out nearly as much, either. And, of course, he hits left handed, which is why he appeals to me.

Remember, his stats away from KC, were really impressive last year; 24 HR's, in 74 games.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 04:13 PM)
Why do you say that?

The argument would be: There's no chance of us signing Machado for $$$$$$$$$$$$$, and Donaldson vs. Mike Mous is iffy due to age + Donaldson would command much more $$$.

If the White Sox can't afford the type of free agents that will actually supplement this rebuild, they might as well just give up now and say they're not planning on competing in the foreseeable future.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 04:41 PM)
If the White Sox can't afford the type of free agents that will actually supplement this rebuild, they might as well just give up now and say they're not planning on competing in the foreseeable future.

I for one, am not asserting that the Sox "can't afford" to sign a free agent, who would complete the rebuild. However, if they are going to spend the kind of money required to sign Machado, I'd prefer B. Harper, who would provide that middle of the order, LH bat, along with a much better OBP.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 04:48 PM)
I for one, am not asserting that the Sox "can't afford" to sign a free agent, who would complete the rebuild. However, if they are going to spend the kind of money required to sign Machado, I'd prefer B. Harper, who would provide that middle of the order, LH bat, along with a much better OBP.

I'd like Harper, too, but he's going to cost Machado + Allen (+ Miller?) money, not just Machado money, and he plays a position the team is already very deep at, whereas Machado is a 3B, and the org has maybe 1 of those in A ball.

QUOTE (Jimmy3Putt @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 04:49 PM)
Let's be honest, there's 0% chance we get one of the big three.

I'd offer him the Melky contract, maybe even go an extra year.

We have the money and the long term need.

It is zero if you don’t try. And signing him probably takes you out of Machado, but if you were really in on Machado, everyone else except Harper is still on the table. And if everyone is worried about his OBP, Machados wasn’t higher in 2017,things can happen.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 04:13 PM)
Why do you say that?

We have almost zero financial commitments in the short-run. This team is going to spend significantly when the time is right and that will hopefully be next off-season. We should use on our money on potential impact players first and worry about plugging holes second. I can't understate how much financial flexibility we'll have next year. We need to shoot for the stars Albert Belle style and not just settle for B level free agents like we typically do.

I just don't see the allure of giving of the 45th pick & $2M in slot value for a guy who is basically a league average player when we're still at least a year out from competing. Even if we miss on Machado & Donaldson and Sanchez is not a viable option, we can always trade for a league average 3B next off-season. Sure, if a star was available on the cheap right now I'd be all for it, but Mike Moustakas is simply not that player IMO.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 04:56 PM)
It is zero if you don’t try. And signing him probably takes you out of Machado, but if you were really in on Machado, everyone else except Harper is still on the table.

If they sign Moustakas, they will be signaling to us that they're never going to do what it takes to have a legitimate, consistent contender, rather than lightning in a bottle and hope, which was their strategy for most of the 2010s. Getting one of Machado or Arenado is not just a boost to the team, it's a statement to the fans and the league that this franchise is ready to do what it takes to compete and hang with the Yankees, Dodgers, Astros, Red Sox, Cubs, et al. Signing Moustakas would be a slap in the face to everyone who supported the idea of a rebuild.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 06:00 PM)
I just don't see the allure of giving of the 45th pick & $2M in slot value for a guy who is basically a league average player when we're still at least a year out from competing.

Yep. And likely more than a season out from competing. 2 million in draft flexibility when picking this early is nothing to sneeze at either.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 03:04 PM)
.314 OBP to .521 SLG. League-wide walk rates have been quietly trending upward along with the explosion in homers, making his OBP well below average and the SLG not really all that far above average. He's exactly the player type that makes OPS deceiving.

.521 in KC is very impressive IMO. Although 2017 was his best year to date, Moose will probably be a solid player

for the next 2-3 seasons. I must admit to wanting Yolmer to play every day next year, and that wouldn't happen if MM

is on the team.

If the top of the 2019 order is Moncada, Avi, Abreu and Eloy, and they perform up to expectations, I don't see the need to spend big, on another right handed bat.

They may even get significant contributions from Anderson and Castillo, two more RH hitters. My argument is that they need a productive LH bat, more than they need a super star, right handed hitter. Maybe Collins, Gillaspie and, or Delmonico, will provide that LH presence, but I have my doubts as to whether any of them will become a clean up, or #5 hitter, in the order, on a contending Sox team. That is why I continue to argue for guys like Moustakas or Morrison.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 05:25 PM)
I love Yolmer. He's one of my favorite players. However, he does not fill the void, upon which I'm focusing.

I love the kid too.

It's a bit disappointing that Moncada didn't try to play center field or third because Yolmer is good enough to be a long term second baseman.

I understand not messing with the future face of the franchise's head.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 06:25 PM)
I love Yolmer. He's one of my favorite players. However, he does not fill the void, upon which I'm focusing.

Neither does Moustakas. He's a lefty, yes, but if he's in the middle of our lineup in 2020, that means it probably isn't a playoff-caliber lineup.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (zisk @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 06:17 PM)
.521 in KC is very impressive IMO. Although 2017 was his best year to date, Moose will probably be a solid player

for the next 2-3 seasons. I must admit to wanting Yolmer to play every day next year, and that wouldn't happen if MM

is on the team.

It was barely in the top 50 last year (min. 50 PA). That's still solid, but it doesn't make up for the deficiency in getting on base and his move from a slightly above average defender to a slightly below average one.

Once you league, park, and era adjust, it's just not that special. More homers were hit last year than ever before. It takes us fans a little longer to adjust our mental benchmarks.

I think we're on the same page, though. The planets are aligning for us to aim much higher for the 3B spot, so we should take that chance. Moustakas is not a bad player by any means, but he's not a guy you change your plans for.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 05:35 PM)
Neither does Moustakas. He's a lefty, yes, but if he's in the middle of our lineup in 2020, that means it isn't a playoff-caliber lineup.

Well, that's an interesting perspective. So, you don't think that a line, like his last year, would be adequate, sandwiched in between say Abreu and Jimenez, who would follow Moncada and Avi?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 06:43 PM)
Well, that's an interesting perspective. So, you don't think that a line, like his last year, would be adequate, sandwiched in between say Abreu and Jimenez, who would follow Moncada and Avi?

Last year's line adds up to a 114 wRC+, which was good for 107th best in the MLB (min. 50 PA). IMO, we need to aim higher than "outside the top 100" for our competitive-window cleanup hitter. And that's assuming he wouldn't decline any, which is possible, but can't be considered likely.

Again, I think it's easy to like the homer total, but we ignore the lack of everything else that he brings to the offensive table. He's just not as good as his reputation suggests.

Your point is good, Moustakas just isn't that guy.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Jimmy3Putt @ Feb 20, 2018 -> 06:30 PM)
I love the kid too.

It's a bit disappointing that Moncada didn't try to play center field or third because Yolmer is good enough to be a long term second baseman.

I understand not messing with the future face of the franchise's head.

From what he showed, Yolmer might just be as good at 3B as he is as 2B. He appears to have tremendous defensive instincts in the infield and more than enough arm and quickness for 3B. I think he's a +5 run 3B, maybe +10, and I think he might hit enough to make it work. If nothing else you give him 100 or so games to figure it out this year. If he's not the long term 3B he's the long term utility guy. If he is a starting quality 3B well awesome, one less piece to fill.

Edited by chitownsportsfan