Moustakas linked to Sox again

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 10:10 PM)
Forgot about Thome, although he was injured, on the wrong side of 30 and getting pushed out by Ryan Howard.

Freddy Garcia is about the only other example from the last 30 years, but definitely not a superstar. All-Star, competitive for a few Cy Youngs, sure.

Carlton Fisk who had a few good years but he also was heading downhill

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 08:58 PM)
In all fairness to Greg, alot of posters didn't know that at first. Hell, some still don't (other than the obsessive-ness of lefty hitters..).

I'm sorry, but I don't get the joke. What is the association between being obsessed with left handed hitters and being a female? I'm not offended, just confused.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 04:50 AM)
I'm sorry, but I don't get the joke. What is the association between being obsessed with left handed hitters and being a female? I'm not offended, just confused.

There is no association. Two different clicks. People here know you as the poster who loves lefties (regardless of gender).

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 09:24 PM)
Carlton Fisk who had a few good years but he also was heading downhill

But he was also brought in for the sake of having an established veteran catcher to wean an INCREDIBLY talented and YOUNG pitchers. Hoyt, Burns, Dotson, Bannister. Many people don't realize how valuable that he was in the development and success of those guys. Granted....his physical skills weren't at his PEAK UPSIDE, BUT his knowledge and experience WAS. So in THAT case, for what he meant to that pitching staff, we did get him at his prime.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 08:02 AM)
Any chance this guy holds out until after the draft? There seems to be almost no interest on him and being a Boras client, it seems like it could be a possibility.

I can't see him holding out two months into the year. If there is an earlier date at which the QO penalties expire I could see him holding out until then.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 08:08 AM)
I can't see him holding out two months into the year. If there is an earlier date at which the QO penalties expire I could see him holding out until then.

I believe that is still the draft date unless it changed in the new CBA. I'm sure he'd still see some live pitching (players he knows around the league that aren't with a team, former teammates that may not be playing, etc) and working on defense during that time.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 08:12 AM)
I believe that is still the draft date unless it changed in the new CBA. I'm sure he'd still see some live pitching (players he knows around the league that aren't with a team, former teammates that may not be playing, etc) and working on defense during that time.

If there was no draft pick compensation attached, I would be interested in a 1-2 year deal on Moustakas. As things are currently, I am not interested in giving up the #45 pick in the draft and bonus pool.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 08:33 AM)
If there was no draft pick compensation attached, I would be interested in a 1-2 year deal on Moustakas. As things are currently, I am not interested in giving up the #45 pick in the draft and bonus pool.

If Moose wanted a 1 or 2 year deal I'm sure he could take it right now. I don't think any team is that tied to a second round pick if they think Moose is going to make the team that much better. My two cents.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 09:54 AM)
If Moose wanted a 1 or 2 year deal I'm sure he could take it right now. I don't think any team is that tied to a second round pick if they think Moose is going to make the team that much better. My two cents.

Right. Plus, if he re-declared free agency a year later, there is a new draft pick.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 02:04 PM)
If you can get Moose for something crazy like 4/$48M or 5/$60M then sure I’d consider it. However, I seriously doubt Boras would agree to such a contract without an opt-out, which is 100% a deal-breaker for me.

Therefore, stay the course / keep the draft pick, give Sanchez the 3B ABs in 2018 to see what he can be, pursue the mega 3B free agents the next two offseasons, and find short-term solutions on the cheap if needed.

I think those numbers are still too high. He may end up signing for something like that but it wouldn't be with the Sox. Maybe Boras has something up his sleeve but if he get's anything beyond 3 years at this point I'd be surprised and if he gets more than $35M I'd also be surprised. There's just no long term market for him and a short term deal isnt worth it unless its ridiculously low considering the draft pick compensation ( for the signing team ) and the fact he'll be up against Machado and Donaldson, then the year after Arenado and Rendon. They are in a really tough spot and anyone considering signing him has a huge advantage.

• 4 weeks later...