CarGo to Sox?

Jack Parkman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think we have a better chance of bringing in a Moustakas than another OF based on Hahns comments a few days ago. He basically said he doesn't want to block the guys in AAA from getting a look.

Moustakas doesn't block anybody except Sanchez and is a fall back option if/when we don't sign Machado and pass on Donaldson.

Shall see though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:02 AM)
The guy has pretty much been average to bad for 4 years, and is streaky as hell. What, realistically would you get on a flip for him if everything goes right?

Honestly--IF--he proves he can hit anything remotely close to what he has in the past (and stay healthy of course), I think we could get an organizational top 10 plus a wild card if we were able to sign him below market value. That and some jersey sales. So is that worth what we would pay him between now and then? Lot of things would have to go right.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:13 AM)
Honestly--IF--he proves he can hit anything remotely close to what he has in the past (and stay healthy of course), I think we could get an organizational top 10 plus a wild card if we were able to sign him below market value. That and some jersey sales. So is that worth what we would pay him between now and then? Lot of things would have to go right.

I think it's a waste, but it's a better idea than Derek Holland for $6 million last year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:02 AM)
The guy has pretty much been average to bad for 4 years, and is streaky as hell. What, realistically would you get on a flip for him if everything goes right?

Probably something along the lines of what Beltran went for with the Rangers depends on how well he is hitting at the time of deal. Of course such a return is wholly dependent on if/how he rebounds and what he signs here for (1 year deal, 2 year deal)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/08/indi...-as-likely.html

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:23 AM)
Probably something along the lines of what Beltran went for with the Rangers depends on how well he is hitting at the time of deal. Of course such a return is wholly dependent on if/how he rebounds and what he signs here for (1 year deal, 2 year deal)

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/08/indi...-as-likely.html

So if everything goes right, a previously pretty highly rated prospect who was struggling at the time of the trade.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:15 AM)
On a 1 year deal with the hopes that he bounces back well enough to flip at the deadline, that would be fine.

This is a bad idea. Flipping him at the deadline for a low tier prospect is not worth getting more at bats from the contingent of prospects we have at the DH/OF spot. It makes me wonder if an agent is pushing Heyman to write articles in order to drum up compensation for said agent's client.

QUOTE (SoxFaninSpringfield @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:33 AM)
This is a bad idea. Flipping him at the deadline for a low tier prospect is not worth getting more at bats from the contingent of prospects we have at the DH/OF spot. It makes me wonder if an agent is pushing Heyman to write articles in order to drum up compensation for said agent's client.

young DH development is something i'm gonna sacrifice.

Nicky is the only one you want securing at-bats, and he has a little positional versatility...so that's going to work out ok.

Davidson is far from needing to be any kind of every day player for me. We know what he is.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:41 AM)

Nicky is the only one you want securing at-bats, and he has a little positional versatility...so that's going to work out ok.

Davidson is far from needing to be any kind of every day player for me. We know what he is.

The fact he is compensation free is a big selling point over Moose. Who knows if another Erik Hanson is on the board at #45.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:41 AM)

Yeah and he and CarGo can share the DH spot in a straight platoon. Make Davidson earn every day at bats.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:47 AM)
If we sign Gonzalez and he turns into a Casey Gillaspie or Ryan Cordell, I'd call that a win.

Ironically, acquiring him could be at the playing time expense of these players. Although Gillaspie can use more time in Charlotte. That's pretty clear. But Cordell needs major league ABs or he will be another guy we all forgot existed in a year or two.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:46 AM)
What about Cordell? He'll be 26 years old. It's time for him to s*** or get off the pot?

We have CF for him, possible trade/release of CarGo depending on if he is good or bad, possible trade of Garcia, possible struggles of young guys getting early at bats and being sent to minors (Tilson, Engel, Delmonico, etc.).

Edited by soxfan2014