CarGo to Sox?

Jack Parkman

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:51 AM)
We have CF for him, possible trade/release of CarGo depending on if he is good or bad, possible trade of Garcia, possible struggles of young guys getting early at bats and being sent to minors (Tilson, Engel, Delmonico, etc.).

And you have Leury Garcia. The Sox have 11 OF on their 40 man. GarGo can DH, but it's also a spot to rotate some guys in for major league ABs. There is more downside than CarGo just sucking or being average, and the Sox being out a few million. It does take away some opportunity. Maybe they all would be awful anyway, but at least you would have an answer.

The closer Jimenez and Robert and the rest get to the big leagues, the more the opportunity to give modestly rated players a chance closes.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:33 AM)
So if everything goes right, a previously pretty highly rated prospect who was struggling at the time of the trade.

Yep pretty much.

There is no reason to not sign him. He'd basically be replacing Davidson at DH he won't be blocking anyone next year.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:53 AM)
And you have Leury Garcia. The Sox have 11 OF on their 40 man. GarGo can DH, but it's also a spot to rotate some guys in for major league ABs. There is more downside than CarGo just sucking or being average.

I mean at some point we are going to have to make moves. Playing CF's at DH is not a solution for a OF roster crunch. Ideally we move both Garcias by the deadline and sort of see what we have with the other guys.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:56 AM)
Yep pretty much.

There is no reason to not sign him. He'd basically be replacing Davidson at DH he won't be blocking anyone next year.

Well other than the fact that he’s no longer good at baseball and trending even worse in the wrong direction.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:06 AM)
using eminors round down the WAR system, CarGo hasn't been above average since 2013.

He sucks now. His home/away splits were dreadful last year and average to below average every season since 2013. And we think this will improve with him being another year older and removing him from Coors/NL? Why bother? Complete waste of a roster spot in 2018.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:10 AM)
He sucks now. His home/away splits were dreadful last year and average to below average every season since 2013. And we think this will improve with him being another year older and removing him from Coors/NL? Why bother? Complete waste of a roster spot in 2018.

Agree with you and DA. I can see where people are coming from in wanting to sign Moustakas since he plays 3B but CarGo? Nah, the Sox have plenty of outfielders and DH's.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 10:48 AM)
Ironically, acquiring him could be at the playing time expense of these players. Although Gillaspie can use more time in Charlotte. That's pretty clear. But Cordell needs major league ABs or he will be another guy we all forgot existed in a year or two.

We don't even know that these guys will be ready for the big leagues out of camp.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:16 AM)
Agree with you and DA. I can see where people are coming from in wanting to sign Moustakas since he plays 3B but CarGo? Nah, the Sox have plenty of outfielders and DH's.

It wouldn't piss me off like Holland did last year. But for it to really work out, some odds would have to be beaten, and if they aren't, you wasted a opportunity looking at others, and they may not get that opportunity again.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:20 AM)
We don't even know that these guys will be ready for the big leagues out of camp.

Cordell will be 26, if he needs more minor leagues, he isn't much of a prospect. Gillaspie is 25, he probably isn't ready his .210 average and .300 OBP in Charlotte is pretty good evidence. You also have Daniel Palka, Willy Garcia...if you would rather pay a few million to a washed up ex star because if he happens to be good you may acquire another guy you will pass over, I don't see the point.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:21 AM)
It wouldn't piss me off like Holland did last year. But for it to really work out, some odds would have to be beaten, and if they aren't, you wasted a opportunity looking at others, and they may not get that opportunity again.

Same here. It wouldn't piss me off, just wouldn't understand it. The outfield is full and would rather utilize the DH as a revolving door for the outfielders to get them more at bats.

Plus, I feel if Gillaspie makes the team out of ST he has a solid chance of becoming the new header for Soxtalk.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:26 AM)
Cordell will be 26, if he needs more minor leagues, he isn't much of a prospect. Gillaspie is 25, he probably isn't ready his .210 average and .300 OBP in Charlotte is pretty good evidence. You also have Daniel Palka, Willy Garcia...if you would rather pay a few million to a washed up ex star because if he happens to be good you may acquire another guy you will pass over, I don't see the point.

He also spent somewhere around 6 months down from a back injury, and may well need time to get back into shape both physically and mentally.

Do you really think we have enough talent in the system as of today?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:38 AM)
He also spent somewhere around 6 months down from a back injury, and may well need time to get back into shape both physically and mentally.

Do you really think we have enough talent in the system as of today?

No. But CarGo doesn't exactly move the needle. I would rather see what the Sox do have right now. 11 OF on the 40 needs to be paired down. Let's see who can play.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 12:10 PM)

Most players will hit better at home for a variety of reasons unrelated to ballpark and even after accounting for the park factor as OPS+ does he's been a well above average hitter.

I can understand the sort reluctance if this was 2014 and he was demanding a 100 plus million dollar deal. Hell I remember when the Holliday signing happened his splits weren't great either and he was traded to Oakland and just hit OK.

So everyone said see it was the ball park. He did just fine. Some of the same concerns were made about Fowler less of them then in Holliday case but still I understood the reluctance. Here though we are talking about a one year pillow deal. He's only 32. Prior to his down season last year his previous two seasons he averaged an OPS of 114 and has a career ops+ of 116. Which just looking at the OPS+ last year for the Sox thats probably in the .810 to .820 range.

Moustaskas who everyone wants to sign for five years has a career ops+ of 96. His best three years combined for OPS+ of 117

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:41 AM)
No. But CarGo doesn't exactly move the needle. I would rather see what the Sox do have right now. 11 OF on the 40 needs to be paired down. Let's see who can play.

It will pare itself down. We still need to be trying to bring talent into the organization.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 11:52 AM)
It also doesn't make much sense to hit SS or CF at DH just because you don't have roster space

You have way more faith in these guys than I do. Most of the guys which are bandied about are going to fail. We don't have nearly as many starters as you think.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 12:26 PM)
Yeah, I’d rather go with a guy like Morrison. More upside and a non-zero chance he can be a cheap, interim solution at DH while we wait for Sheets/Burger or see what we have in Nicky.

Per MLBTR;

At least as of a few days back, says Heyman, first baseman Logan Morrison was not sitting on any open offers. While LoMo’s representatives surely have an idea of what might be available, it’s rather notable that no organizations seem to be making a concerted effort to draw him.

Sounds like he may be very cheap (relatively speaking) AND no loss of a draft pick to boot. Much more upside with Morrison than a washed-up CarGo.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 12:30 PM)
Per MLBTR;

Sounds like he may be very cheap (relatively speaking) AND no loss of a draft pick to boot. Much more upside with Morrison than a washed-up CarGo.

The Kenny always gets his guy crowd would be satisfied as well. He is what the Sox initially wanted as compensation for Ozzie Guillen.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 23, 2018 -> 01:26 PM)
Yeah, I’d rather go with a guy like Morrison. More upside and a non-zero chance he can be a cheap, interim solution at DH while we wait for Sheets/Burger or see what we have in Nicky.

I don't know if I necessarily agree with this. Morrison has a career ops of .741 and OPS+ of 104 prior to last year thats 7 years of prior data. Prior to last year Cargo has a career ops of .868 and OPS+ of 119.

Do you make the bet that Morrison figured it out or do you go with the previous 7 years data. Is Cargo washed up at 32 or do you bet 9 years of overall solid hitting prior to last year.

It's an interesting discussion point.