Jake Burger out for season with ruptured Achillies Tendon

southsider2k5

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 03:44 PM)
Different circumstances, different injury, but all I can think about is Jared Mitchell.

Luckily for him, he doesn't rely on speed and athleticism like Mitchell did. He'll come back from this, but might need to move to 1B lpng term. We'll see.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 10:04 PM)
Luckily for him, he doesn't rely on speed and athleticism like Mitchell did. He'll come back from this, but might need to move to 1B lpng term. We'll see.

Yeah thinking future DH but in all honesty, that was most realistic anyways

Another reminder that while it’s fun to pencil in future 2020 lineups and such, injuries always have the potential to derail a prospect’s development. Thinking we have X position covered in 2020 because player X is a top prospect doesn’t always work out as planned. I hope this is nothing serious but early indications don’t look promising. Hoping for the best for Jake.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

QUOTE (Wanne @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 04:20 PM)
Good Lord does that suck...c'mon...2 down in a week. Also...I get the "hustle"...but I'd also let my big lumbering sluggers know....hey...you're not Usain Bolt. Hope the kid can bounce back...but this is pretty depressing.

In his defense, he actually has some sneaky speed. Not the stereotypical slow slugger

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 04:05 PM)
Yeah thinking future DH but in all honesty, that was most realistic anyways

He shouldnt have an issue coming back. As a 3B not relying on speed his demands are different. His body type is a concern but he should be fine in about 6-8 months. NFL players come back from it, he can as well. Its not going to be a fun rehab.

If it is a torn achilles tendon, it's hard to imagine that Burger could be ready to contribute at the Major League level, until 2021, or later. He is going to turn 22 in April and was not projected to be called up until 2020. This injury could very well set him back a couple of years. Signing someone to a 5 year free agent contract would now seem more plausible. This obviously makes our discussion regarding the acquisition of Moustakas, Machado, Arenado etc., more relevant.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 04:29 PM)
If it is a torn achilles tendon, it's hard to imagine that Burger could be ready to contribute at the Major League level, until 2021, or later. He is going to turn 22 in April and was not projected to be called up until 2020. This injury could very well set him back a couple of years. Signing someone to a 5 year free agent contract would now seem more plausible. This obviously makes our discussion regarding the acquisition of Moustakas, Machado, Arenado etc., more relevant.

Yeah, the best scenario has him playing somekind of Fall ball.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 05:04 PM)
I basically had that same reaction when I strained my achilles

Same with me. Went down like a rock and thought it was torn when it happened to me. Luckily it wasn't and I was back to full strength in about a month.

It's possible it's not torn, but it sure doesn't look good.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 04:28 PM)
He shouldnt have an issue coming back. As a 3B not relying on speed his demands are different. His body type is a concern but he should be fine in about 6-8 months. NFL players come back from it, he can as well. Its not going to be a fun rehab.

Ryan Howard said it sapped his power on his plant foot. Does that sound real? A lot of my concerns after reading the article was on weight distribution on the feet after the recovery.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 04:27 PM)
In his defense, he actually has some sneaky speed. Not the stereotypical slow slugger

I don't know about you...but I was cringing a little watching him leg out that triple against the Mariners. It was ugly...

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 04:33 PM)
Ryan Howard said it sapped his power on his plant foot. Does that sound real? A lot of my concerns after reading the article was on weight distribution on the feet after the recovery.

Its possible. The rehab can be tricky depending on scar tissue. Ive never heard that from any of my patients so i would say thats not likely to happen.

Yes, I was reading the list of baseball players, and none of them seemed the same, although most were a bit long in the tooth when the injury occurred. Kobe had it, and came back to the NBA, so I have no reason to believe Burger wouldn’t come back. What remains to be seen is how much the injury and missed development time affects his career.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 04:28 PM)

Thanks for the optimistic note. Coming from you, it means a lot. I'm a little more hopeful, even if it takes a while.

They are dropping like ****ing flies again. Third straight year. I ask again...bad luck or is something else going on in the off season conditioning plan / training staff. Sure "luck" plays a part in it...but three straight years?

The Bears decided to do something about it to try to change that "luck"...maybe the Sox need to consider the same.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 04:41 PM)
They are dropping like ****ing flies again. Third straight year. I ask again...bad luck or is something else going on in the off season conditioning plan / training staff. Sure "luck" plays a part in it...but three straight years?

The Bears decided to do something about it to try to change that "luck"...maybe the Sox need to consider the same.

If I am not mistaken, the Sox have had one of the healthiest teams for a while now, in terms of days on the DL.

Howard tore his left, not right. And he's a lefty. I think Caulfield is right about luckily it's Burger's left ankle and not his right.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 04:47 PM)
If I am not mistaken, the Sox have had one of the healthiest teams for a while now, in terms of days on the DL.

This is very true. There was an article done with a longer term study that included many season, and the Sox were like 3rd in overall DL days and 1st by a long shot in pitching DL days IIRC.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 04:56 PM)
This is very true. There was an article done with a longer term study that included many season, and the Sox were like 3rd in overall DL days and 1st by a long shot in pitching DL days IIRC.

Here we go.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/01/chicago-wh...abled-list-days

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 04:57 PM)
Howard was also 31.

Gotta hope for the best. At least Burger's value isn't as a speed guy like Mitchell.

The injury that mitchell suffered would be much worse than the achilles for burger due to his size.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 05:00 PM)
The injury that mitchell suffered would be much worse than the achilles for burger due to his size.

thanks for making me feel a tad better about the prognosis with Jake ptatc!....appreciate the info.