Jake Burger out for season with ruptured Achillies Tendon

southsider2k5

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 03:47 PM)
If I am not mistaken, the Sox have had one of the healthiest teams for a while now, in terms of days on the DL.

Probably especially with their starting pitchers. But I've heard the same stuff (no disrespect towards you) the past few years. My answer is the same...it doesn't matter how healthy the Yankees are or the Brewers or the Blue Jays. That doesn't directly impact the White Sox.

They have lost a ton of players the past two years, especially relief guys.

Compared to their track record that is not normal for them.

Something is going on in my opinion beyond the "luck" factor.

Other teams have had the ability to replace guys because of a good farm system, other teams have had the ability to replace guys because they have the money and the farm system to do it. Neither of those conditions have applied to the Sox.

For this rebuild to work, guys must stay healthy, especially the high draft picks and the guys the organization is counting on to produce.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 06:11 PM)
Probably especially with their starting pitchers. But I've heard the same stuff (no disrespect towards you) the past few years. My answer is the same...it doesn't matter how healthy the Yankees are or the Brewers or the Blue Jays. That doesn't directly impact the White Sox.

So you expect the White Sox to magically be the most injury-free team in baseball every single year? That seems unrealistic. If we're consistently one of the healthiest teams each year, I see nothing to complain about.

The most significant injuries have been Jenks, Crede, Danks, Floyd/Crain...now Rodon. We've been pretty fortunate. Herm Schneider. I can't remember his name, Allen Thomas or something like that, strength and condition people have always had strong reps in the industry.

We've seemingly lost lots of guys like Tilson and Leury and Davidson and Kevan Smith and numerous relievers (not counting Covey, mercy DL) over the last 2-3 years.

But not really a franchise-altering situation, like the Jared Mitchell one (had he actually been the player the Sox projected).

Adolfo has always been injury prone. With Burger, you just kind of expected it at that size...just not this quickly (see Kyle Schwarber).

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 06:16 PM)
So you expect the White Sox to magically be the most injury-free team in baseball every single year? That seems unrealistic. If we're consistently one of the healthiest teams each year, I see nothing to complain about.

A guy has a pinhole UCL injury, and Burger hurt his Achilles running to first. Clearly that is in the training staff. Baseball players should never get hurt if your staff is competent.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 05:56 PM)
Well that's good to hear. I was under the assumption they were similar if not the same (I couldn't remember).

Mitchells was a rupture of the posterior tibialis tendon. Much more difficult to repair and responsible for the structure of the foot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 06:21 PM)
A guy has a pinhole UCL injury, and Burger hurt his Achilles running to first. Clearly that is in the training staff. Baseball players should never get hurt if your staff is competent.

I know your being sarcastic but there really should have been something to find with Burger. Ruptures of the achilles tendon in 22 year olds dont happen from one instance. He had to have previous issues.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 06:37 PM)
I know your being sarcastic but there really should have been something to find with Burger. Ruptures of the achilles tendon in 22 year olds dont happen from one instance. He had to have previous issues.

How thorough is a welcome to spring training physical, in general? I would imagine someone coming off an injury or older who have had issues, might be checked a lot more closely than a 22 year old with no injury history. Do they really check all of their Achilles?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 06:44 PM)
How thorough is a welcome to spring training physical, in general? I would imagine someone coming off an injury or older who have had issues, might be checked a lot more closely than a 22 year old with no injury history. Do they really check all of their Achilles?

They go through a complete physical. They wouldnt specifically checked the achilles, in general. They only would if he reported an issue. He may not have reported an irritation in his achilles but its difficult to think that could have ruptured it without a previous issue.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 06:37 PM)

Could it be something as stupid as a young, eager baseball player over-doing it and overexerting himself to make a good impression on the organization? That triple yesterday looked brutal, could he have hurt himself rounding the bases and then his effort today pushed him over the edge? We've seen injuries happen before when players hit the bag the wrong way, can the same be said for the Achille's?

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 08:08 PM)
Could it be something as stupid as a young, eager baseball player over-doing it and overexerting himself to make a good impression on the organization? That triple yesterday looked brutal, could he have hurt himself rounding the bases and then his effort today pushed him over the edge? We've seen injuries happen before when players hit the bag the wrong way, can the same be said for the Achille's?

I've had a soft tissue/heel issue at least two times in my life (once from overdoing it jumping and landing from playing badminton in China...once from hitting the 1B bag awkwardly in mid 20's softball game, hitting with all the weight on the back) and never once had an Achilles' problem. When you hurt your heel, there's absolutely nothing you can do but rest and keep weight off it, no way to put a cast on, it's almost worse than a strained oblique.

That said, Achilles' tears tend to happen to bigger athletes, although obviously Kobe probably had one due to cumulative wear and tear over a lifetime.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 08:08 PM)

Its a pretty good bet thats what it was. An achilles rupture rarely happens from a single injury, especially in a 22 year old. The tendon is just too strong and thick. The injury happens from cumulative trauma.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 08:16 PM)
Could he have irritated it when he came to a hard stop rounding 2nd on the double?

Typically its months of microtrauma not just a few days. That probably caused a iiritation but wouldnt be the single cause of it. Im sure the medical staff wouldnt have expected an injury like this in a kid his age.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 04:31 AM)
Sounds like we’re not getting an update until tomorrow. I’m not optimistic at the moment.

You would think a ruptured Achilles would be pretty easy to diagnose though.

Agreed and the tone of the tweets from his teammates and family leaves little doubt it's torn

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 04:54 PM)
Recovery from this type of injury is good. Six months and he will be back on the field

That's late August. Could potentially catch the end of a minor league season and play fall/winter ball and not even lose much development time.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 09:31 PM)
Sounds like we’re not getting an update until tomorrow. I’m not optimistic at the moment.

You would think a ruptured Achilles would be pretty easy to diagnose though.

Could be a partial tear. From everyones description is sounds worse though.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 09:30 PM)
Yoga would typically help. With his body type im sure he has typically tight muscles and that contributed to it.

I'm the DIII version of burger, have the exact type build and looked the same damn way on the field. "tight muscles" is a good way to describe it. I think he trained the wrong way this offseason. Easy to say in retrospect but he would have been better served not bulking up and just getting lean. I'm sure his legs where tight here in the 2nd week of workouts. Hopefully the Sox can monitor these guys' workloads, especially the under 23 set, and try and prevent these type of injuries in the future.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 26, 2018 -> 10:01 PM)
I'm the DIII version of burger, have the exact type build and looked the same damn way on the field. "tight muscles" is a good way to describe it. I think he trained the wrong way this offseason. Easy to say in retrospect but he would have been better served not bulking up and just getting lean. I'm sure his legs where tight here in the 2nd week of workouts. Hopefully the Sox can monitor these guys' workloads, especially the under 23 set, and try and prevent these type of injuries in the future.

I'm just wondering if Burger is bigger than last year or if he came into spring training out of shape or carrying extra weight . With Avi and Abreu slimming down the last 2 years seems like that is the way to go for larger athletes in baseball.