Jake Burger out for season with ruptured Achillies Tendon

southsider2k5

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 12:53 AM)
I'm just wondering if Burger is bigger than last year or if he came into spring training out of shape or carrying extra weight . With Avi and Abreu slimming down the last 2 years seems like that is the way to go for larger athletes in baseball.

He worked his butt off at the Sox facility all offseason

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 12:01 AM)
I'm the DIII version of burger, have the exact type build and looked the same damn way on the field. "tight muscles" is a good way to describe it. I think he trained the wrong way this offseason. Easy to say in retrospect but he would have been better served not bulking up and just getting lean. I'm sure his legs where tight here in the 2nd week of workouts. Hopefully the Sox can monitor these guys' workloads, especially the under 23 set, and try and prevent these type of injuries in the future.

There's nothing wrong with working out that way as long as you add the flexibility exercises to this. I'm sure the sox strength coaches made sure he knew this. If he followed it, thats on him. It may just be that he had issues in the past and it finally caught up to him.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 03:21 AM)
Guy needs to lose weight. Get him swimming laps in the pool I doubt he’ll be running anytime soon.

Laps in the pool can be really hard on the shoulders for baseball players, position players less than pitchers obviously. They'll get him going on the zero G or underwater treadmills ASAP after surgery, if he needs surgery.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 07:25 AM)
I would think the training staff is working on flexibility with these kids because thats something that generally contributes to the repeated injury of something like this.

I have no doubt that they are. Flexibility is the key in most baseball activities.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 07:31 AM)
I have no doubt that they are. Flexibility is the key in most baseball activities.

Even so, isn't it a bit odd someone his age did this? I'm sure the vast majority of 22 year olds who are not professional athletes lack the proper prep when exercising, yet they are in gyms, running on trails, playing hoops every day, and it doesn't blow.

It seems to me an injury that normally occurs a little later.

I hope this isn't a sign Burger has an old body.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Sleepy Harold @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 10:11 AM)
Daryl Van Schouwen @CST_soxvan

now

Jake Burger: Ruptured left Achilles. Surgery this week, out for season.

Horrible. Stick to your rehab, Jake. Hopefully, he can do some fall work, and maybe winter league. From what I've read, it's a long slow rehab from this. But it is important he doesn't try to speed up the process.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 10:59 AM)
If Jake Burger makes his debut the same age as Todd Frazier did, he’ll debut in July, 2021.

Just saying, Frazier has had a decent career debuting at age 25, and Burger still has a chance to be up way before that if his rehab goes well.

The prognosis for athletes is not great coming back from an Achilles tear. I wish him the best, but sadly I do not feel like we can realistically consider him a core part of our future plans anymore. Anything he provides the mlb club moving forward would purely be a bonus.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 08:04 AM)
Even so, isn't it a bit odd someone his age did this? I'm sure the vast majority of 22 year olds who are not professional athletes lack the proper prep when exercising, yet they are in gyms, running on trails, playing hoops every day, and it doesn't blow.

It seems to me an injury that normally occurs a little later.

I hope this isn't a sign Burger has an old body.

Very odd but his body type is the most susceptible at any age.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 11:05 AM)
The prognosis for athletes is not great coming back from an Achilles tear. I wish him the best, but sadly I do not feel like we can realistically consider him a core part of our future plans anymore. Anything he provides the mlb club moving forward would purely be a bonus.

At his age, I have full confidence he'll return. There's never a guarantee but I would bet one of Greg's houses on it.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 12:16 PM)
Are there any MLB position players who came back from this and were productive?

I mean one of the sort of blessings for this type of injury in Burger case he wasn't guy who was overly reliant on his speed tool to begin with. One thing you sort of hope is he uses the time off to get himself in better shape.

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 11:40 AM)
I mean one of the sort of blessings for this type of injury in Burger case he wasn't guy who was overly reliant on his speed tool to begin with. One thing you sort of hope is he uses the time off to get himself in better shape.

He’s already talked about focusing on his nutrition. Hopefully this all turns out fine. Maybe winter ball, and then 130 games at Birmingham next year. This may not be the end of the world for him or the Sox at all.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 11:46 AM)
He’s already talked about focusing on his nutrition. Hopefully this all turns out fine. Maybe winter ball, and then 130 games at Birmingham next year. This may not be the end of the world for him or the Sox at all.

He's going to really have to rake in winter ball to have him skip high A. I really hope that's the case, but any prospect losing a year of development is never good (not the end of the world of course, but it's better when your younger).

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 06:30 PM)
At his age, I have full confidence he'll return. There's never a guarantee but I would bet one of Greg's houses on it.

Hi ptatc. You seem like a good guy. Love your medical posts.

As far as the injury no way am I gonna go there and make a comment.