Jake Burger out for season with ruptured Achillies Tendon

southsider2k5

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 11:16 AM)
Are there any MLB position players who came back from this and were productive?

3 #1 picks in 2 years. 2 season ending injuries and a complete bust of a catcher. what a rebuild.

It had to be said.

QUOTE (zisk @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 01:09 PM)
3 #1 picks in 2 years. 2 season ending injuries and a complete bust of a catcher. what a rebuild.

It had to be said.

Dang, should we tell Hahn not to draft guys that will get injured do you think or is there a better way?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 02:00 PM)
Dang, should we tell Hahn not to draft guys that will get injured do you think or is there a better way?

I would imagine there were less fat players to be picked. I don't blame the Sox for picking who they thought was best

but risk comes in all shapes and sizes. All things must be considered when taking a player as a #1. I actually like RH but every one

has to be judged on performance, and so far things aren't going our way. Some people are born lucky and the Cubs hired a guy with

a horse shoe shoved up his ass. The only thing that gives me solace is that when the WS are faced with extinction, something good

usually happens. Dick Allen, SS Hit Men, Frank Thomas, Jenks,Pods,& 2005 starters.

Edited by zisk

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 07:29 PM)
What will this injury do that will cause him to not play 3B?

Same reason Schwarber will never be a catcher (even part time) after his ACL.

The margin for error athleticism wise was razor thin. He's going to come back less agile, and he'll have missed a critical 9-15 months of reps.

Modern medicine and rehab is a miracle but a ruptured achilles is still a ruptured achilles. He may never regain the athletic timing needed to play 3B. Or hit for that matter.

I'm pretty cynical here I'll admit.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 06:10 PM)

The margin for error athleticism wise was razor thin. He's going to come back less agile, and he'll have missed a critical 9-15 months of reps.

Modern medicine and rehab is a miracle but a ruptured achilles is still a ruptured achilles. He may never regain the athletic timing needed to play 3B. Or hit for that matter.

Yeah, you're being cynical for cynical sake. All of these things are possible if there is a great deal of scarring. The odds of any of them happening are pretty low.

QUOTE (zisk @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 02:32 PM)
I would imagine there were less fat players to be picked. I don't blame the Sox for picking who they thought was best

but risk comes in all shapes and sizes. All things must be considered when taking a player as a #1. I actually like RH but every one

has to be judged on performance, and so far things aren't going our way. Some people are born lucky and the Cubs hired a guy with

a horse shoe shoved up his ass. The only thing that gives me solace is that when the WS are faced with extinction, something good

usually happens. Dick Allen, SS Hit Men, Frank Thomas, Jenks,Pods,& 2005 starters.

why are we double spacing on a message board?!? this isn't Typing 101

That being said..."less fat players"?!?! geezus...ummm ok. Burger was a good pick...and he was raking the ball to all fields before he got hurt. I'm encouraged from what ptac said about a more than likely full recovery. I don't think he's done at 3B at all. I understand the frustration...but c'mon man.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 06:49 PM)
Does anybody here have a list of pro jocks who recovered from ruptured Achillies?

Adam Wainright, Jose Contreras, Kobe Bryant, Chauncey Billups, Dominique Wilkins, Elton Brand. All returned to playing.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 27, 2018 -> 06:10 PM)

Everyone was aware Schwarber was never a catcher. Even before his injury, he was a terrible catcher.

Burger had DH written all over him. I'm happy with the rebuild so far, but I wouldn't have drafted him.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 08:32 AM)
Can you explain to me how the catcher is a complete bust?

Many fans have little patience for development. Whether it is minor league prospects, college freshmen, 1st round draft picks etc, fans assume they should produce immediately and when some don't they are ready to throw in the towel. But there are also the fans who think every prospect is a sure-fire future ML starter after they have a good year in Rookie ball. Years ago, the only prospects fans cared about were those that made it to AAA. Now they are targeting when a 17 year old will make his ML debut.