Jake Burger out for season with ruptured Achillies Tendon

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 08:34 AM)
But we shouldn't listen to a medical professional?

You’d think ptac wasn’t the only medical professional on this board based on some of these posts.

I actually feel pretty good about Burger’s outlook after reading ptac’s comments. And I personally don’t see Burger as the long-term 3B for the Sox, as I figured they’d fill the spot before he ever made the show, so this setback is less of an issue to me. I think he’s ultimately a trade chip and this injury shouldn’t impact his value too much assuming a full recovery.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 08:44 AM)
You’d think ptac wasn’t the only medical professional on this board based on some of these posts.

I actually feel pretty good about Burger’s outlook after reading ptac’s comments. And I personally don’t see Burger as the long-term 3B for the Sox, as I figured they’d fill the spot before he ever made the show, so this setback is less of an issue to me. I think he’s ultimately a trade chip and this injury shouldn’t impact his value too much assuming a full recovery.

I agree, I think the Sox are either gonna go big with 3B (Machado) or let Yolmer handle it and shop Burger when the time comes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 09:17 AM)
What could possibly go wrong with a career 652 ops guy at 3B?

Why are you using career stats for a player who has played less than two full seasons of major league ball? Yolmer's OPS last year was .732. It's reasonable that a 25 year old is still getting better. By no means am I saying his 2017 offensive production is acceptable, but it's much better than the misleading number you used.

Also, I'm not sure why you're discounting defense. Yolmer's fWAR was 0.1 less than golden boy Moustakas last year because he's a far better player with the glove. There's plenty of logic in giving Yolmer a chance during a lost season to see if his offseason work pays off with the bat and if he can become above average every-day player. If not, no harm loss. Either way, the Sox will be going after the big free agent 3B the next two offseasons. Yolmer is simply a place-holder or a potential trade chip.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 09:39 AM)
Why are you using career stats for a player who has played less than two full seasons of major league ball? Yolmer's OPS last year was .732. It's reasonable that a 25 year old is still getting better. By no means am I saying his 2017 offensive production is acceptable, but it's much better than the misleading number you used.

Also, I'm not sure why you're discounting defense. Yolmer's fWAR was 0.1 less than golden boy Moustakas last year because he's a far better player with the glove. There's plenty of logic in giving Yolmer a chance during a lost season to see if his offseason work pays off with the bat and if he can become above average every-day player. If not, no harm loss. Either way, the Sox will be going after the big free agent 3B the next two offseasons. Yolmer is simply a place-holder or a potential trade chip.

Because everyone did the same thing with Moustakas’ career stats...you just made the point for me, when we should have been looking at the 2015-2017 “full picture,” including the injury prognosis.

Somehow a 4.4 WAR and a high 3’s/low 4’s pace at age 26 and 27 became a future mired at 2ish at best at the grizzled old age of 29.

Can we also ignore Avi Garcia, Logan Morrison, Yonder Alonso and Chris Taylor pre 2017?

Edited by caulfield12

You'd think ptac wasn't the only medical professional on this board based on some of these posts.

I actually feel pretty good about Burger's outlook after reading ptac's comments. And I personally don't see Burger as the long-term 3B for the Sox, as I figured they'd fill the spot before he ever made the show, so this setback is less of an issue to me. I think he's ultimately a trade chip and this injury shouldn't impact his value too much assuming a full recovery.

For real. TBH, no one else's comments really matter on this outside of the actual professional that we have here, and what the team has to say about it. Everything else is just internet speculation.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 09:44 AM)
Because everyone did the same thing with Moustakas’ career stats...you just made the point for me, when we should have been looking at the 2015-2017 “full picture,” including the injury prognosis.

Somehow a 4.4 WAR and a high 3’s/low 4’s pace at age 26 and 27 became a future mired at 2ish at best at the grizzled old age of 29.

Moose's outlook really depends on his defense. You've got to convince me last year was a one-year aberration. If not, what he did in 2015 & 2016 doesn't really matter IMO.

QUOTE (Tony @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 08:34 AM)
But we shouldn't listen to a medical professional?

Team physicians, sure. I like ptac, but Burger isn't his patient. My partner is a physician, but doesn't provide a great deal of insight for a subject that isn't a patient. I think many of us draw comparisons to Schwarber for obvious reasons.

Trust ptac. he's a good guy. We're just talking baseball here given what we have seen in the past.

Odds are ptac is not that only medical professional on this board.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 09:46 AM)
For real. TBH, no one else's comments really matter on this outside of the actual professional that we have here, and what the team has to say about it. Everything else is just internet speculation.

Is ptac a team doctor? I'm actually serious.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 10:03 AM)
Team physicians, sure. I like ptac, but Burger isn't his patient. My partner is a physician, but doesn't provide a great deal of insight for a subject that isn't a patient. I think many of us draw comparisons to Schwarber for obvious reasons.

Trust ptac. he's a good guy. We're just talking baseball here given what we have seen in the past.

I would bet money that he is the only professional trainer who has worked in professional sports specifically.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 09:44 AM)

Can we also ignore Avi Garcia, Logan Morrison, Yonder Alonso and Chris Taylor pre 2017?

Come on Caulfield, you have to see the obvious flaws in this argument.

It's not a death knell but it's a bad sign that a guy that young ruptured his achilles running to 1st base.

ptac knows his s*** but as a trainer he can't help but almost always envision the best case rehab. I'm more of a cynic I've seen too many rehabs, even modern ones, go wrongly and players never fully recovery for whatever reason.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 01:05 PM)
?

let me put it more clearly: would you become a surgeon if you didn't believe in the efficacy your techniques?

of course he believes Burger can come back 100% athletically -- he's in the business of making sure that happens.

Edited by chitownsportsfan

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 12:27 PM)
let me put it more clearly: would you become a surgeon if you didn't believe in the efficacy your techniques?

of course he believes Burger can come back 100% athletically -- he's in the business of making sure that happens.

But so is the White Sox's medical staff? ptac is simply stating the likely outcome for Burger based on his experience.

Sure, but if you were consistently wrong, you wouldn't be doing the job for very long at all.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 10:03 AM)

Is ptac a team doctor? I'm actually serious.

Im not a team doctor. Im a physical therapist and athletic trainer who has worked extensively in pro sports as wel as olympic and amature sports. My opinion is purely basd on experience and results I have seen. Your partner can discuss or not discuss injuries based on experience as well.

Im just trying to inform and give the most common and likely result based on experience in sports medicine and and with that injury.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 02:04 PM)
Sure, but if you were consistently wrong, you wouldn't be doing the job for very long at all.

The best trainers in the world couldn't prevent Jabari Parker from tearing his ACL a second time and so on and on and on. I can't stress enough how awesome modern medicine and rehab (that ptac is on the cutting edge of) is. That said, (and this will probably be my last post here I think I'm arguing the same point over and over) it's a big data point against Burger that in his 1st big league camp he makes it two weeks before blowing out his achilles. Given all the talk about how he has a "bad body" and just doesn't appear to be a smooth athlete he (imo) didn't have much room for error as far as sticking at 3B and contributing in areas of the game other than hitting.

Now there's going to be a ton of pressure on him to hit, hit with power. The injury is at absolute best robbing him of critical development time. Even if he comes back physically 100% there's a big setback to his career here.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 11:45 AM)
It's not a death knell but it's a bad sign that a guy that young ruptured his achilles running to 1st base.

ptac knows his s*** but as a trainer he can't help but almost always envision the best case rehab. I'm more of a cynic I've seen too many rehabs, even modern ones, go wrongly and players never fully recovery for whatever reason.

I dont look at the best case. I try to point out the most likely. In cases like this Ive seen many more surgeries and rehabs go well than have poor results. Is it possible his career is over? Sure especially with his body type. However, its still more likely that he will be fine.

There is a reason they say the "practice" of medicine not the "science"of medicine. Its a great deal of clinical decision making and educated guessing.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 01:10 PM)
The best trainers in the world couldn't prevent Jabari Parker from tearing his ACL a second time and so on and on and on. I can't stress enough how awesome modern medicine and rehab (that ptac is on the cutting edge of) is. That said, (and this will probably be my last post here I think I'm arguing the same point over and over) it's a big data point against Burger that in his 1st big league camp he makes it two weeks before blowing out his achilles. Given all the talk about how he has a "bad body" and just doesn't appear to be a smooth athlete he (imo) didn't have much room for error as far as sticking at 3B and contributing in areas of the game other than hitting.

Now there's going to be a ton of pressure on him to hit, hit with power. The injury is at absolute best robbing him of critical development time. Even if he comes back physically 100% there's a big setback to his career here.

Stuff happens, I get that. But if a team doctor is out there saying "Oh you will be back in six months" for each TJS surgery, he isn't going to have a job to do for every long.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 28, 2018 -> 01:10 PM)

Actually the latest research shows we can prevent most of these second injuries. How many have you heard about recently?

You can always be cynical and sayit may happen. Its true. However, the most likely outcome is that it wont. Sometimes it has to do with follow through with the patient as well.