Heyman proposes Kemp to the Sox

southsider2k5

I hope that they don't acquire Kemp, under any circumstances, unless they can get a valued prospect, or two.

He would take at bats away from guys, whom the Sox need to evaluate. Davidson should get any DH at bats vs. lefties.

Delmonico also needs at bats against all RHP, at the minimum.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 12:59 PM)
What do the Sox have to gain from signing Kemp if he's released? s***, I would rather give Davidson the at bats.

It would make more sense for us to trade for him along with multiple prospects, take on most of his contract, and release him (you're doing this for the prospect(s) anyway) to give other at bats than to sign him and take at bats away from someone else.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 01:01 PM)
It would make more sense for us to trade for him along with multiple prospects, take on most of his contract, and release him (you're doing this for the prospect(s) anyway) to give other at bats than to sign him and take at bats away from someone else.

That could work, depending on the prospects and how much of his contract they have to assume. Do you have any specific names, in mind?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 02:12 PM)
Heyman sure has tied the sox to a lot of players that they haven't acquired this offseason.

Yeah, to me, this is the offseason where the mainstream press, in general, lost a lot of credibility on rumors. They showed us that in the absence of actual information, they will treat speculation the same as they would treat news.

Back to the topic of this thread; I'll take Verdugo and Kemp and pay all of his remaining contract. Then, I'd try to find someone to either take him and most of the contract, or see if a team would give up another prospect, for him, if the Sox pay all of it.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 02:22 PM)
Back to the topic of this thread; I'll take Verdugo and Kemp and pay all of his remaining contract.

I would too but feel like if that were a possibility for a team, it would be done by now.

It would actually be funny if the Padres made a move like this since they took on his contract before when they went for it, only to dump it for another bad contract during their rebuild (which is still going on).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 02:32 PM)
I'd be for it if we got a good prospect back, but given how the Dodgers operate I doubt they'd be willing to give up someone of that caliber.

Them and the Yankees are in a very similar spot. Trying to stay far enough under the luxury tax to add someone mid-season potentially, want to reset their penalties so they can spend next year, have a bad contract they want to move that could help achieve these other other 2 goals.

I actually thought that Kemp has made sense for the White Sox for awhile now but only with a trade that would equate to us getting 36 million( what Kemp is owed) dollars worth of young players back. The White Sox could easily consume the 18 million dollars per season on their payroll for the next 2 seasons. I for one do not believe that we will be able to contend until 2020 when Kemp gets off the books anyway. Also, I am not optimistic on the chances of the White Sox getting Manny Machado or Bryce Harper next offseason.

What would the trade look like. I would take some combination of the three.

Yadier Alverez ( #6 in Dodgers Org)

Starling Heredia (#17 Dodgers Ord)

Jordan Sheffield (#18 Dodgers Org)

Will Smith (9# Dodgers Org)

Now as somebody mentioned the Dodgers really don't operate this way but it would be worth exploring especially since the White Sox would not need to grab their top guys rather add depth pieces.

Kemp would be interesting as a left fielder/DH with the White Sox.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 01:59 PM)
Yeah, to me, this is the offseason where the mainstream press, in general, lost a lot of credibility on rumors. They showed us that in the absence of actual information, they will treat speculation the same as they would treat news.

I'll listen to Rosenthal, the local Sox guys (Brian, Chuck Garfein, etc.), and... that's it.

Dodgers are running out of places to play their prospects but I still doubt we'd get Verdego out of a Kemp deal because that would mean they are losing 2 OF's from their depth chart. That would leave them with Puig and Pederson (both of them better off in RF) then a big drop off to Chris Taylor in CF. After that is a bunch of young guys headlined by Trayce Thompson... In other words, I think they are counting on Verdego being a part of their plans.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Mar 1, 2018 -> 04:52 PM)
Dodgers are running out of places to play their prospects but I still doubt we'd get Verdego out of a Kemp deal because that would mean they are losing 2 OF's from their depth chart. That would leave them with Puig and Pederson (both of them better off in RF) then a big drop off to Chris Taylor in CF. After that is a bunch of young guys headlined by Trayce Thompson... In other words, I think they are counting on Verdego being a part of their plans.

We wouldn't need Verdego when it comes to the OF and prospects 1-2 years away our farm is stacked already. They are deep with latin kids guys that could help fill the bottom half of the farm for a 2nd wave. We don't have any really players 20-30 who you'd sort of expect to rise through the minors and make it as a top prospect most of the guys at the bottom of our system are older guys.

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=la

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Mar 2, 2018 -> 12:40 AM)
The Dodgers are not going to give up a decent prospect for someone to take Kemp unless moving Kemp's money allows them to add another significant player via trade or free agency.

If that wasn't Darvish, I don't know who it's going to be.

Kemp just doesn't effect this year though it also sort of limits them at the deadline. I think they really want to move him the problem is sort of finding someone willing to take on his deal AND them be willing to pay the price in prospects.

Right now money is so tight even the top free agents are unable to find jobs. I honestly don't know if any club is willing to take on Kemps deal regardless of prospects. Just because we have a low payroll doesn't mean ownership is necessarily willing to absorb the sunk cost of a Kemp and who else is going to take on that salary? Most of the clubs rebuilding are small market clubs. They aint taking on the salary.

100% on board for this. Who knows, maybe Hahn has been sitting on a trade like this all winter and is just waiting for Friedman to finally sweeten the prospect to get it done, and maybe Friedman is waiting to see if any injuries occur this ST where he may want to keep Kemp to fill in. I guess we should all (those who want a trade for Kemp if it means we snag a prospect) hope the Dodgers OF remains healthy all ST and Kemp sucks this spring. Maybe a trade goes down in the next 3 weeks.

As for what the return would be? No flippin idea. The best we can get, I suppose. It's all gravy anyway.