Minor League Assignments

Chicago White Sox

So apparently there was a conference call yesterday with Chris Getz and FutureSox tweeted out some of the news:

AAA: Kopech will obviously be in this rotation. No other big prospects in this rotation to start the season (see AA comments).

AA: Stephens, Adams, Guerrero, Puckett, & Clarkin will start the season in the rotation. Hansen will join the staff once he finishes his throwing program (timing TBD). Jimenez, Collins, & Zavala will be there on the positional side.

A+: Dunning will start 2018 in this rotation. The OF to start the season will be Rutherford, Basabe, Call, & Booker. Robert will start start his season here when healthy and be the primary CF.

Extended: Curbelo will start 2018 here to get regular at-bats.

Didn’t want to include my comments in the recap section, but I’m surprised by a few things.

First, I would have thought two of Stephens/Adams/Guerrero would have been bumped to AAA. Really not sure who is going to be in that Knights rotation now. We know Kopech but after that we’re talking about guys like Danish, Covey, & Volstad. Just don’t see why we’re being so conservative with these guys, although I think one of them (probably Stephens) moves up as soon as Hansen is back.

Second, I was really hoping to see Curbelo finally hit full season ball this year. That could still happen at some point, but man do I wish it was to begin 2018. Last year he quite good for GF in a SSS and we heard things like “best player on the field”, so I was optimistic they’d actually challenge him despite coming off an injury. Still only 20 years but I’d hate for him not to reach full season ball until he turns 21 even if that is still age appropriate. Also, I think this means Laz Rivera will be the starting SS for Kannapolis.

On a less surprising note, the Dash OF shaked out exactly as I expected given the Robert & Adolfo injuries. Will be interesting to see who gets moved up to once Robert is back. Also, I think this pretty much cements where the rest of the key OF prospects are starting. Looks like AA will be Fisher, Polo, Jimenez. Gonzalez starts in low A alongside Dedelow. Not sure who else rounds out that OF but there are quite a few guys coming off productive seasons in rookie ball. I’m personally hoping Destino grabs that last spot.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 08:30 AM)
So apparently there was a conference call yesterday with Chris Getz and FutureSox tweeted out some of the news:

AAA: Kopech will obviously be in this rotation. No other big prospects in this rotation to start the season (see AA comments).

AA: Stephens, Adams, Guerrero, Puckett, & Clarkin will start the season in the rotation. Hansen will join the staff once he finishes his throwing program (timing TBD). Jimenez, Collins, & Zavala will be there on the positional side.

A+: Dunning will start 2018 in this rotation. The OF to start the season will be Rutherford, Basabe, Call, & Booker. Robert will start start his season here when healthy and be the primary CF.

I am surprised they have Collins and Zavala both at AA. Also A+ will have quite the defensive OF. Isnt that 5 guys who could play CF if needed?

Absolutely hate some of these assignments. Rutherford did not do a single thing last season to deserve being promoted. Adams, Stephens, and Guerrero should be in the Charlotte rotation, Stephens and Guerrero are too old for AA. What does Dunning have left to prove in A+?

I am not sure who posted this on the temp board, but this is good stuff so I am copy/pasting it over here:

There was a conference call yesterday with Chris Getz and FutureSox tweeted out some of the news:

QUOTE (Dunt @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 04:04 PM)
Absolutely hate some of these assignments. Rutherford did not do a single thing last season to deserve being promoted. Adams, Stephens, and Guerrero should be in the Charlotte rotation, Stephens and Guerrero are too old for AA. What does Dunning have left to prove in A+?

Rutherford couldn't have looked worse in the games I saw him this spring

I'm not that surprised by Charlotte. I think they want to avoid being forced to press up a future prospect, so they want filler guys like Volstad available for spot starts.

Am surprised that they put Clarkin at AA and not Dunning. That said I bet it shakes out fairly quickly. They may have told him to get more under control while he pitches and purposely disappointed him to see how he handles.

Where is adolfo? DH in W-S?

I'm not against challenging Rutherford. I think he was too complacent about his failure last year and they want to show him that everything is advancing around him.

Disappointed about curbelo but i bet it shakes out fairly quickly.

I also think they want our catchers to be familiar with these more likely future pitchers in AA. ANd set up a AA team that can have some on field success.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 10:29 AM)
I'm not that surprised by Charlotte. I think they want to avoid being forced to press up a future prospect, so they want filler guys like Volstad available for spot starts.

Am surprised that they put Clarkin at AA and not Dunning. That said I bet it shakes out fairly quickly. They may have told him to get more under control while he pitches and purposely disappointed him to see how he handles.

Where is adolfo? DH in W-S?

I'm not against challenging Rutherford. I think he was too complacent about his failure last year and they want to show him that everything is advancing around him.

Disappointed about curbelo but i bet it shakes out fairly quickly.

I also think they want our catchers to be familiar with these more likely future pitchers in AA. ANd set up a AA team that can have some on field success.

They also seem to have adopted the philosophy of keeping kids together where ever they can.

i don't think there's a lot of value in taking it slow with guys like Guerrero or Stephens. I would have advocated taking it slower with guys like Kopech or Cease. But our 2nd tier guys should be pushed and if it's clear they can't cut it as a big league arm allow them to learn how to prepare to pitch out of the pen. Danish & Covey will likely never make another big league start, but there's a slim chance they might have a future career out of the pen. At this point it doesn't do them any service sending them out every 5 days to get hammered.

I also don't understand how you can promote Clarkin or Puckett and leave Dunning in high-A ball.