1 surprise, 1 disappointment, 1 dark horse

he gone.

1 surprise - Adam Engel

He sticks in CF all year, and makes an argument that he has a place on the team.

1 disappointment - Reynaldo Lopez

I think he's in for a rough year. He'll stay in the rotation all year, but it's not going to be what fans want to see or are expecting. After this year, there will be talk on this board about moving him to the pen.

1 dark horse - Tim Anderson

He still isn't going to walk, but he's going to break out this year. Solid to plus defense at SS with at at least 20 HR's and 20 SB's.

I'm assuming this is just for the big league players? If so...

Surprise - Davidson/Anderson (Cease is going to absolutely turn heads all year, top 10 prospect in all of the minors, but that's an easy answer for me. Ima go with Ian Clarkin. I like the kid and believe he'll finally be healthy most of the year)

Disappointment - Fulmer... not a doubt in my mind unfortunately. God I hope he proves me wrong. (Robert in the minors only because I don't think he'll stay healthy even when he comes back)

Darkhorse - Davidson/Anderson (Cordell if we're talking about all minors. Basabe or Gonzalez if we're talking about actual prospects)

I put Anderson and Davidson for either because they both can technically be counted as a surprise or darkhorse IMO, depending on what you see in them.

Edited by SoxAce

Qualifier: I don't think at this point that Moncada and Giolito becoming an all-star and ace respectively would surprise anyone anymore, so I'll leave them out. :) I've been super high on both those guys since they were acquired.

Surprise: Avi continues raking and gets traded in July.

Disappointment: After a strong showing in Charlotte, Kopech gets lit up in the majors.

Dark Horse: Fulmer sticks in the rotation all year.

Surprise: yolmer solidifies third base with 20 hr pop and plus defense, taking ownership of 3b for next 4-5 yrs.

Dissapointment: Abreu does not age well in early 30s due to lower body injuries and general decline. (Think pujols) He misses out on competitive window from 2020 forward because not extending him at that point seems like an obvious no brainer.

Dark horse: sexy Zavala continues to hit at every level and makes its obvious to organization he is catcher of future.

Before I have a chance to see other's responses.

Surprise will be Sanchez

Disappointment will be Davidson

Dark horse will be Cordell

Not sure how much of a dark horse Cordell is but I just get the feeling he's waiting in the weeds for his chance and when it happens he's going to hit.

QUOTE (Replacement Level Poster @ Mar 28, 2018 -> 09:53 PM)
Surprise: yolmer solidifies third base with 20 hr pop and plus defense, taking ownership of 3b for next 4-5 yrs.

Dissapointment: Abreu does not age well in early 30s due to lower body injuries and general decline. (Think pujols) He misses out on competitive window from 2020 forward because not extending him at that point seems like an obvious no brainer.

Dark horse: sexy Zavala continues to hit at every level and makes its obvious to organization he is catcher of future.

Solid post, plausible.

yeah im not buying the Engel optimism. Love the guys defense obviously, but the board is putting way too much stock in his 47 spring training ABs. Did we forget how awful he was last year in 301 ABs? .166/.235/.282. Also .229/.306/.417 in his AAA career.

I'll actually list engel as my disappointment

Surprise i'll say Joakim Soria with a bounce back year

Darkhorse - I'll also go with Fulmer based on nothing but my appreciation of his collegiate triumphs

QUOTE (Tony @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 12:16 AM)
This is such an interesting thread because people have so many different answers. No one can really be wrong (at least as we sit here on Opening Night Eve) which tells you how many interesting storylines we will be watching in 2018. Almost every single position has intrigue (Abreu/Avi contract decisions, Figuring out which players take the next step forward, and who takes a step backwards.) James Shields and Miguel Gonzalez are the only two I can really say I don’t care about at all.

This is why a rebuild is interesting. I was so sick going into a season knowing everything had to go just right for the Sox to compete, and having to watch season after season of Alexei, Rios, Dunn, Konerko, etc. I loved some of those guys but their wasn’t any intrigue with any of it.

Haven’t been this excited in a long time for Sox baseball.

I've been real interested reading these too. From what I can tell people are generally cold on Reynaldo Lopez, a mixed bag on Engel (hot/cold), and a lot of support for Cordell.