White Sox Acquire Minor Leaguer for Intl Bonus Slot $

bmags

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 09:44 AM)
We have signed like 10 kids. I think the bigger problem for us was that we didn't know if we were getting Robert or in what period, so we didn't agree to any deals early. The Cubs had the benefit of knowing they were going to be in the penalty to find some guys they could lock up for under $300K.

Personally, I would like us to get a second DSL team and sign a ton of guys for small amounts. I believe that anyone signed under $10K doesn't even have their bonus count against the pool, so we could find anyone with an inkling of talent and try to sign them for that and see what we can have them do.

Agree with everything here. Bigger issue is sox didn't know, with Robert, if they could commit to guys.

This year will ideally be different. We already know a few they are tied to, but i'd guess quite a bit more are signed that we'll hear about throughout the year.

Totally agree with your second paragraph. I think Kiley had that in a chat recently. He added up price of running a DSL team, said they could load it up with a lot of the older prospects (18, etc) and just hope one hits and the math would probably show the investment was worth it.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 08:52 AM)
Agree with everything here. Bigger issue is sox didn't know, with Robert, if they could commit to guys.

This year will ideally be different. We already know a few they are tied to, but i'd guess quite a bit more are signed that we'll hear about throughout the year.

Totally agree with your second paragraph. I think Kiley had that in a chat recently. He added up price of running a DSL team, said they could load it up with a lot of the older prospects (18, etc) and just hope one hits and the math would probably show the investment was worth it.

I had been thinking about that idea even before he said it, but then I heard him on a podcast and what he said really sold me. He was saying how a lot of the older kids that break out are signed for very little money because they develop after they turn 16 (like many draft prospects) but because they were already passed over for their initial J2 period, no one pays attention. So it basically turns into whoever can see the kid first gets to sign him for a small amount and hide him from other teams.

It kind of makes you reconsider how much of a long shot all of these prospects really where when they comment how they only signed for a few thousand. What really might have been the case is that they developed later and the first team that saw that got them cheap.

I think that is an area we should really try to exploit because we are never going to have the top level of bonus money and we don't have the name recognition of other teams.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 03:45 PM)
We have also used that money to bring in about half a dozen upper level minor league players, so you can't just look at the total number.

No I wasn't arguing against what we did. It was very creative and I would look for it to continue to some degree. Everyone made great comments. I was really pushing point two of establishing a bigger presence by an academy. Teach the kids and get them ready for stateside. This coming year, we have known we are in the penalty phase long enough to plan for it. If we can't find quantity this year, I question what the scouts are doing. I still think we trade off some of the money to acquire some prospects further along. We will need to keep young talent in the pipeline. We will soon begin to get into tighter and tighter 40 man roster decisions so we have to balance acquisitions in that regard as well.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 01:21 PM)
No I wasn't arguing against what we did. It was very creative and I would look for it to continue to some degree. Everyone made great comments. I was really pushing point two of establishing a bigger presence by an academy. Teach the kids and get them ready for stateside. This coming year, we have known we are in the penalty phase long enough to plan for it. If we can't find quantity this year, I question what the scouts are doing. I still think we trade off some of the money to acquire some prospects further along. We will need to keep young talent in the pipeline. We will soon begin to get into tighter and tighter 40 man roster decisions so we have to balance acquisitions in that regard as well.

Yeah I agree I definitely want a full class.

I'm optimistic there, however. Last year was also strange because it was the first of the new CBA, but most people would have been committed prior to its effect. So this is their first full year, which I hope pays off. Sox have been mentioned on at least 2 guys for 2018 that I've seen.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 02:00 PM)
Interesting note, Hahn said they were going to try to have Pinto be a starter again. They're sending him down to WS so he can get stretched out again and then he will head to AAA.

Also the Sox outrighed Jose Ruiz to Winston-Salem, so the 40 man currently is at 39.

That's a surprise.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 02:00 PM)
Interesting note, Hahn said they were going to try to have Pinto be a starter again. They're sending him down to WS so he can get stretched out again and then he will head to AAA.

Also the Sox outrighed Jose Ruiz to Winston-Salem, so the 40 man currently is at 39.

The best way to work on mechanics and slot is through starting and getting as many reps as possible.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Mar 29, 2018 -> 03:00 PM)

2.97 ERA last time as a starter, I'm for this

Actually saw him in A ball, high ranked prospect

When trading for a guy like this, I'd think that they see an aspect of his game that they can change/improve/fix. Glad to see them switching something right off the bat.

And Lip, you're on double-secret probation for that one.

Edited by GreenSox

https://theathletic.com//297378/2018/04/02/...s/?redirected=1

Fegan on the trade

"Given that the reward was signing Robert, an elite talent that he had been tracking for five years, Hahn says Paddy was more than willing to accept these conditions.

“He was driving that train,” Hahn said. “He said some things about how many years he was willing to sacrifice to get Luis, and I made sure he kept that to himself, in case Jerry [Reinsdorf] wanted to take him up on that. That said, he also did a really nice job with some of the $300,000 guys they’ve lined up going forward. In some ways, when you’re in the penalty box internationally, you get back to purer, true scouting, where it’s not about money but finding the best hidden gems you can really afford, and Marco and his guys have embraced that. That said, when we call him up and say we’re about to lose another international slot for a prospect at the minor-league level, he gets excited about that as well, even though it does limit what he’s able to do.”"

I wish Paddy did more media.