Fernando Tatis, Jr. Thread (read/post at your own peril)

caulfield12

In June 2016, James Shields was coming off nine seasons with 200 innings and more than 30 starts. Reliable arms don't grow on trees, and Shields played a major role in the Royals' rebirth and push for the 2014 American League pennant. Tatis had yet to play in a professional game.

"You're always taking a risk on a player that hasn't played a game yet," said Padres general manager A.J. Preller. "The further guys are away from the Major League level, the harder it is to project. You have so much less information. We were giving up a proven Major League pitcher for a guy who hadn't played a game."

On the day of the trade, the White Sox sat two games back of Kansas City in the Central. The division was wide open. They needed a starter.

Preller, meanwhile, had begun tearing things down after his own ill-advised push for contention in 2015. The Shields trade was one of seven that year in which the Padres netted prospects for a big league player.

While working with the Rangers, Preller got his first glimpse of Tatis as a 14-year-old at a tryout. He vowed to keep Tatis on his radar, and when trade talks developed in 2016, the Padres sent scout after scout to White Sox camp.

"All the information basically came back the same," Preller said. "We had a chance to get an extremely talented prospect, even though he hadn't played a game yet, and he should be the target."

On June 5, 2016, the deal was finalized: Shields and cash to the White Sox for Tatis and Erik Johnson. Nearly two years later, Johnson is largely forgotten. But at the time, the 26-year-old righty was believed by some to be the centerpiece of the return.

Outside scouting circles, Tatis was on nobody's radar. He was merely the son of the man who once hit two grand slams in an inning.

"Most people didn't believe in me," said Tatis. "But they hadn't seen me play. What can I say? Now I'm playing baseball, I'm showing what I've got, and here we are."

It didn't take long for Tatis to skyrocket through the prospect leaderboards. Last season, he batted .281/.390/.520 and launched a franchise-record 21 homers for Class A Fort Wayne. At 18, he made the jump to Double-A and held his own during San Antonio's playoff run.

"When we got him, it was very clear that our scouts had done their homework on the raw talent," said Padres farm director Sam Geaney. "By instructional league, it was clear we had a pretty special talent on our hands. Going into 2017, we had a good idea that this guy was probably our best position-player prospect."

He's now widely regarded as one of the best in the game. Tatis is ranked No. 8 overall by MLB Pipeline and No. 2 among shortstops. The Padres already have begun planning their future around him, shying away from multiyear shortstops this offseason (Galvis was signed to a one-year deal).

https://www.mlb.com/padres/news/padres-fern...ing/c-268604288

• 2 weeks later...

Up to a 595 OPS.

The inevitable two homer game...

http://www.milb.com/multimedia/vpp.jsp?content_id=1973348483&sid=milb

Pretty impressive opposite field power stroke.

Followed up by 4 strikeouts in 5 at-bats, 28 k’s and only 1 walk so far

Five walks in last three games but still mired in the 180’s.

Fernando Tatis Jr., SS, Padres (AA): Nobody is as aggressive with assignments as San Diego, and after what Tatis did last year, the Texas League seemed warranted, even for someone who will be 19 for the entire season. Development officials see Double-A as the true proving ground, and Tatis is showing he needs more seasoning. He has struck out 34 times in 96 at-bats and is slashing .177/.231/.333. Tatis is going to be a star. He’s just not Vlad Jr. (Jeff Passan, yahoo sports)

Potential breakout game, 2 doubles and a homer (#4), BA back up close to .200 again

LG LEVEL G AB R H TB 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS GO/AO
Minors 2018 TEX AA 25 101 19 20 40 6 1 4 12 7 0 35 0 0 .198 .261 .396 .657 1.60

Edited by caulfield12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Two errors this week, averaging 1 every 10 games.  That's really good for a AA shortstop.

12 doubles, 2 triples, 9 homers, .253/814 OPS, 62 strikeouts and 17 walks

he has a very good chance at being top prospect in baseball heading into next season, assuming Vlad and Eloy get to the majors this year 

The Padres also have another top prospect, Urias, a 2B....in AAA.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=188365

Putting up an 834 OPS in AAA at age 21.

It's going to come down to pitching with them...and how much money they have left after that mega-deal for Hosmer.  They're also needing to decide on Wil Myers' long-term future.

https://www.milb.com/gameday/missions-vs-drillers/2018/05/29/546981#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=546981

Batting average finally up to .271, 16 doubles, 845 OPS.

June 9th, .280/860 ops

Edited by caulfield12

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Has 3 HR over his last 31 games. No HR since June 7th, and hasn't had a strikeout-less game since June 8th.

CLOSE THE THREAD ALREADY

An 835 ops for a teenager in the Texas League is pretty respectable...even more importantly, on pace for only 15 errors or so.  That’s the most remarkable number, actually.

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Has 3 HR over his last 31 games. No HR since June 7th, and hasn't had a strikeout-less game since June 8th.

CLOSE THE THREAD ALREADY

its all good, it is floating along the way of the Puig thread.   Best centerfielder that plays right field in the history of the game

It’s funny I never get credit for any of my calls that are correct, such as when the Sox promotions were coming.

Clearly I’m also wrong on Tatis as well, he is hugely over-ranked now as the #3 overall prospect by a number of industry experts above and beyond Law.  He should probably be behind Dylan Cease, right?

Also, I wasn’t wrong to be excited about Ohtani, any more than Hahn was “excited” to sign Wellington Castillo.  The Angels knew there was a high risk with his elbow, it’s not like they signed him for Moncada or Robert dollars.

And as far as Puig goes, the White Sox have routinely developed outfielders that put up 16 fWAR before age 28...happens pretty much every other year.  Every other decade?

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s funny I never get credit for any of my calls that are correct, such as when the Sox promotions were coming.

Clearly I’m also wrong on Tatis as well, he is hugely over-ranked now as the #3 overall prospect by a number of industry experts above and beyond Law.  He should probably be behind Dylan Cease, right?

Also, I wasn’t wrong to be excited about Ohtani, any more than Hahn was “excited” to sign Wellington Castillo.  The Angels knew there was a high risk with his elbow, it’s not like they signed him for Moncada or Robert dollars.

And as far as Puig goes, the White Sox have routinely developed outfielders that put up 16 fWAR before age 28...happens pretty much every other year.  Every other decade?

you predicted all of these promotions?   That Ohtani/Castillo thing makes no sense at all.  Also I don’t understand the comment about being right or wrong over Tatis.  There is literally nobody on this site who is like HAHA WE GOT SHIELDS SUCK IT PADRES.   What’s the purpose of this thread?  To just keep rubbing it in people’s faces like they don’t already know he shouldn’t have been traded for shields?

YOU PREDICTED PUIG WOULD BE THE GREATEST CENTERFIELDER IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME.   YOU CREATED A THREAD SO YOU COULD POST EVERY ARTICLE YOU COULD FIND.  

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

You throw so much shit at the wall that you're bound to be a right occasionally. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

you predicted all of these promotions?   That Ohtani/Castillo thing makes no sense at all.  Also I don’t understand the comment about being right or wrong over Tatis.  There is literally nobody on this site who is like HAHA WE GOT SHIELDS SUCK IT PADRES.   What’s the purpose of this thread?  To just keep rubbing it in people’s faces like they don’t already know he shouldn’t have been traded for shields?

YOU PREDICTED PUIG WOULD BE THE GREATEST CENTERFIELDER IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME.   YOU CREATED A THREAD SO YOU COULD POST EVERY ARTICLE YOU COULD FIND.  

Does Hahn deserve “blame” for not doing more due diligence on Wellington Castillo?

In the same line of thinking, IF someone’s going to argue I should have known (ahead of time) Ohtani was going to get injured (and signing him was a bad move), have at it.

At any rate, Dam and I were also right about Madrigal being the “right Sox pick” by the Hostetler Sorting Hat system from the very beginning.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-fernando-tatis-jr-texas-league-all-star-game-20180613-story,amp.html

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Does Hahn deserve “blame” for not doing more due diligence on Wellington Castillo?

In the same line of thinking, IF someone’s going to argue I should have known (ahead of time) Ohtani was going to get injured (and signing him was a bad move), have at it.

At any rate, Dam and I were also right about Madrigal being the “right Sox pick” by the Hostetler Sorting Hat system from the very beginning.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-fernando-tatis-jr-texas-league-all-star-game-20180613-story,amp.html

Wtf are you talking about, now and infinity.  

• Thanks 1