2018 MLB catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 31, 2018 -> 10:17 PM)
I’m rooting for Gabe Kapler to fail in Philadelphia, and so far he’s pulled Nola after 68 pitches in a shutout and called to the bullpen with nobody warming up.

Same. This guy is bonkers. Also sat Herrera on opening day... Plays a ton with that line up. Gotta think the players aren't happy with inconsistency...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 08:21 AM)
Ohtani had that bad inning, but was pretty impressive the rest of the game.

Yeah, after the homer I thought he was doomed. My post was premature. His stuff was really good otherwise. Then again I know about 2 guys in the Oakland lineup. What a sorry franchise that is. Horrible stadium, below average farm system, no good vets to trade to boost their system.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:29 AM)
Yeah, after the homer I thought he was doomed. My post was premature. His stuff was really good otherwise. Then again I know about 2 guys in the Oakland lineup. What a sorry franchise that is. Horrible stadium, below average farm system, no good vets to trade to boost their system.

That is true, he wasn't exactly facing a jugernaut, but like you posted, his stuff looked a lot better than what many of the comments from spring training were suggesting.

Some time back, I had an idea that if MLB wanted to start the season earlier and reduce weather postponements, they just needed to start the season where the first week or so had all teams playing in warm weather cities and domed stadium cities.

It's nice to see them take my advice - for the most part - except Cincinnati, Kansas City, New York and Detroit.

They could have had the Giants, Astros, Brewers, and Cardinals have home games, but that's their fault.

Unless teams want to start the season with a two week road trip, there really isn't much they can do about weather problems...and that's not going to happen. The more important thing to do is schedule teams in the division as much as possible early in the season so there are more opportunities to make up the games. Now, there's always a minimum of three non-division series going on, so those should be in warm places or domes.

The Twins open Thursday with the Mariners...that's not an ideal opponent for scheduling purposes. But again, there's not a lot they can do. March 29/April 5th? They both can have decent weather or winter weather.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 11:36 AM)
Unless teams want to start the season with a two week road trip, there really isn't much they can do about weather problems...and that's not going to happen. The more important thing to do is schedule teams in the division as much as possible early in the season so there are more opportunities to make up the games. Now, there's always a minimum of three non-division series going on, so those should be in warm places or domes.

The Twins open Thursday with the Mariners...that's not an ideal opponent for scheduling purposes. But again, there's not a lot they can do. March 29/April 5th? They both can have decent weather or winter weather.

A nine or ten game road trip is pretty standard at different times of year.

If it starts the year, it doesn't change that they can have a nine or ten game homestand during the middle of the year to make up for it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 10:56 AM)
A nine or ten game road trip is pretty standard at different times of year.

If it starts the year, it doesn't change that they can have a nine or ten game homestand during the middle of the year to make up for it.

Ok, I'll extend it...March 29 or April 9th? Bad weather can happen either time. And teams generally wouldn't want a three city trip to start either. The Cubs are doing it this year, but there's a chance they requested it because of the park renovations.

The knee-jerk reaction to start the season in warm cities and domes isn't practical.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 10:23 AM)
Some time back, I had an idea that if MLB wanted to start the season earlier and reduce weather postponements, they just needed to start the season where the first week or so had all teams playing in warm weather cities and domed stadium cities.

It's nice to see them take my advice - for the most part - except Cincinnati, Kansas City, New York and Detroit.

They could have had the Giants, Astros, Brewers, and Cardinals have home games, but that's their fault.

I was watching a spring training game that featured the Mariners, and they had their GM in the both. They were so excited to be opening at home for only the second time in 10 or 15 years. The GM couldn't believe it. He said maybe they need to remind MLB they have a roof if needed. It is stupid not to take advantage of your warmer weather places and cities with a roof when you can.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 12:06 PM)
I was watching a spring training game that featured the Mariners, and they had their GM in the both. They were so excited to be opening at home for only the second time in 10 or 15 years. The GM couldn't believe it. He said maybe they need to remind MLB they have a roof if needed. It is stupid not to take advantage of your warmer weather places and cities with a roof when you can.

Why? Because it's a huge deal to play 15 games on Day 1? That was going to happen for the first time in decades, but two games had to be pushed back a day. They got the games in. Again, it's a knee-jerk reaction to say "Start in domes and warm weather", but bottom line, April weather sucks and they aren't going to start northern teams on the road for a month. So it's just a thing they have to deal with.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 12:15 PM)
Why? Because it's a huge deal to play 15 games on Day 1? That was going to happen for the first time in decades, but two games had to be pushed back a day. They got the games in. Again, it's a knee-jerk reaction to say "Start in domes and warm weather", but bottom line, April weather sucks and they aren't going to start northern teams on the road for a month. So it's just a thing they have to deal with.

April weather sucks, March is even worse. They now start at the end of March. The first week should be in all warmer weather places or domes. It's ridiculous to play baseball when it's 35 degrees.

Yankees snowed out today. Mets snowed out today. Great schedule. You want as many games as you can to be played. Its obviously not possible to create a schedule that guarantees they all will, but DHs take it's toll on teams the way the game is played today. It's time to be smarter with the schedule.

They can get the Cubs 3 series on the road before their home opener because they are working on the stadium even though they would all be sellouts anyways. A team like the White Sox could use the same thing to make a little more money at the gate and concession stands.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 12:18 PM)
April weather sucks, March is even worse. They now start at the end of March. The first week should be in all warmer weather places or domes. It's ridiculous to play baseball when it's 35 degrees.

Yankees snowed out today.

Again, March 29 and April 5...very little difference...and to what end? Just getting all of the Day 1 games in?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 12:18 PM)

Yankees snowed out today. Mets snowed out today. Great schedule. You want as many games as you can to be played. Its obviously not possible to create a schedule that guarantees they all will, but DHs take it's toll on teams the way the game is played today. It's time to be smarter with the schedule.

They can get the Cubs 3 series on the road before their home opener because they are working on the stadium even though they would all be sellouts anyways. A team like the White Sox could use the same thing to make a little more money at the gate and concession stands.

The players demanded more days off, so that's why it started even earlier this year. The ideal solution is to cut down the 162 game total, but the owners would never let that happen.

You also can't force warm weather teams or domes to play the first week or two, when they'd make more money later in the year too.

QUOTE (flavum @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 12:22 PM)
Again, March 29 and April 5...very little difference...and to what end? Just getting all of the Day 1 games in?

Not just day 1 but days 2-10. Starring down a couple DHs this early isn't good. This isn't an era teams are built on starting pitchers going 7 innings.

It might still be cold and horrible in the middle of April, but average temps are higher. Increase the odds. Some of those dome teams can save on air conditioning in the summer if they played an extra series at home now.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 09:29 AM)

Oakland's problem isn't their offense, it's their pitching. I think their offense will be pretty good this year. Also their farm system is not bad, it's a top 10 system.

Edited by OmarComing25