2018 MLB catch all thread

southsider2k5

2 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Once again, after reading the article -- I'm not sure where the problem is here that this is a national story.

"Other Brewers at the game stood by Hader. As he was leaving the stadium, Brewers reliever Jeremy Jeffress told Yahoo Sports: “He made a mistake when he was younger. Sometimes you’ve got to live with your past. That’s not him. He’ll apologize. He’ll make it right. I wish and I hope people don’t take it out of context. It was a young, stupid mistake. I’ve made plenty of those. He’s a great guy. He’s humble. He doesn’t try to make it seem like he’s someone he’s not. It’s just a mistake he made.”"

I don't necessairly feel bad for Hader... but at the same time THIS is current culture. THIS is what is happening everywhere in white America (suburban more so then city I'd imagine) as kids are simply out of touch but growing up with Rap music + violence and other cultural norms.

I see no real problem and I would never label Hader as a racist based off these tweets.

Stupid 17 year kid garbage. As a now 24 year old young adult, I would hope he will make better decisions.

34 minutes ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Can someone clarify this Hader situation for me?

I just searched his tweets, and while they are ignorant and fucking stupid... these don't seem hate inspired, but rather young, ignorant to society, and punkish.

It seems like he tweeted things like lyrics, a random "kkk" tweet, some demeaning things towards ladies, but overall nothing that I'd determine was him trying to be racist (but rather him just joking around as a kid, albeit a SHIT joke).

Sure, we can play semantics and politics all day... but this was a spoiled rotten white kid with amazing talent that brought him some early money/fame and a love for rap music. Hell, when I was 13 I was saying shit like this (note: not tweeting it, thankfully -- and it was a joke). I was not racist or hating anyone, but just being young, ignorant, and exploring rap music. As I grew up, I soon learned the importance words have.

I guess, my point is -- this is big time news and now Hader is going to get destroyed by teammates and fans, however this is what most spoiled white youth in America are like. Are we that ignorant of this? Poor Hader, IMO.

Of course, I'm interested to hear different opinions from this line of thought.

He also tweeted "White power" with a fist emoji and "I hate gay people"

5 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Normally I'd agree with the whole "he was 17" angle but not in the context of racism and homophobia. People don't just magically become non-racist/homophobic overnight. He isn't sorry for what he said, he's sorry he got caught. 

No doubt. Hopefully, as he gets out and experiences the world more he will come to understand that people are people and not to hate them based on these. If not, hopefully he'll at least not to be dumb enough to put it on social media.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Normally I'd agree with the whole "he was 17" angle but not in the context of racism and homophobia. People don't just magically become non-racist/homophobic overnight. He isn't sorry for what he said, he's sorry he got caught. 

This line of thinking is poor in understanding the youth of America. It's pretty clear from this statement that you have a different upbringing.

What Hader's tweets represent are what a lot of suburban spoiled white youth talk like.

The other poster brought up "well, he said KKK and white power with a fist", but to kids who have no understanding of these things, they think its ok.

I was around plenty of people like this in my years 14-18 and this was common dialogue. Not once did these kids treat a person of race any differently, nor did I consider them racist.

Now granted, if this was a 24 year old professional typing these tweets, Yeah -- I'd start to raise my eyebrows and wonder what the hell happened in life for him to be this ignorant.

1 minute ago, iWiN4PreP said:

This line of thinking is poor in understanding the youth of America. It's pretty clear from this statement that you have a different upbringing.

What Hader's tweets represent are what a lot of suburban spoiled white youth talk like.

The other poster brought up "well, he said KKK and white power with a fist", but to kids who have no understanding of these things, they think its ok.

I was around plenty of people like this in my years 14-18 and this was common dialogue. Not once did these kids treat a person of race any differently, nor did I consider them racist.

Now granted, if this was a 24 year old professional typing these tweets, Yeah -- I'd start to raise my eyebrows and wonder what the hell happened in life for him to be this ignorant.

I'm 18 years old. I'm not white and certainly have a different upbringing from Hader, but I still feel as though a 17 year old should understand what "white power" means. I can see why an unwise kid would think of it as a joke, but at 17, it's really hard for me to believe that he could be that dumb and not know what the phrase means. 

I know that kids his/my age joke around with these phrases, for sure, but tweeting it with no context is different, and worse

16 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

At the very least if I was a teammate of his, I'd expect that he's going to have to do better than saying "I was 17". I would believe he could be that dumb, but I sure as heck wouldn't take him for his word and just let that be it.

7 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

I'm 18 years old. I'm not white and certainly have a different upbringing from Hader, but I still feel as though a 17 year old should understand what "white power" means. I can see why an unwise kid would think of it as a joke, but at 17, it's really hard for me to believe that he could be that dumb and not know what the phrase means. 

I know that kids his/my age joke around with these phrases, for sure, but tweeting it with no context is different, and worse

I actually think that the no context of it makes it 'better.' Of course, it's not good -- but someone just saying "White power lol" is something I look at and roll my eyes thinking what a dumbass, why does he think that's funny?. With more context, it could definitely be taking as racism if perhaps something led to the tweet.

I can say that living in a City that is pretty close to evenly split between black and white, there are plenty of HS kids who use the word N***a as a term of endearment to friends with a meaning of "buddy" or "pal" and it is socially acceptable there at the high school level (both with white and black kids and across racial barriers).  Now that changes once you get out of there, and into the adult world, but I have heard it a million times in the high school proper. You also get into a weird zone when you are talking about rap lyrics, because in many places, the white kids listen to it just as much as the black kids do.  NWA, Too Short, Slick Rick, Ice-T and many others were on my playlists at that age, and again it wasn't strange.  It was normal.

Now that being said, I have no idea of Haders upbringing or background, but it does happen.  No idea what is in his head and his heart to know if he was just trying to be "cool", show off for people, or really is a bigot.  That really can't come from tweets.  I will say based on his teammates reaction, they seem to be buying his side of the story, which is probably the biggest hint we can get as to his personality coming from people who know him intimately.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

At the same time, we have a completely different understanding of social media now than in 2011.  17 year old Hader in 2018 may not have tweeted that, not because he was a nicer person, he just would be more aware of long term repercussions.

In the end, it sounds like his teammates are all defending him and supporting him, so hopefully he's a good guy and that was just a bout of young ignorance and not a sign of who he truly is or what he truly thinks.

I know he's not on the level of a Josh Allen in football, but the agents are doing a piss poor job here.  When they get hired a player, the first thing they should do is vet and scrub his entire social media platform.  Not that every player has stuff as bad this, but there's usually something that can look bad when a player gets put in the public eye, and you know people will find it eventually.

19 hours ago, Jose Abreu said:

As an older man who loves his rock and roll it sometimes seems odd to me that white kids immerse themselves in rap which can get very offensive towards women and can be offensive and hateful with regards to violence  drugs and gays and other things where the words are certainly reflective of an urban black upbringing.

When a white kid  starts spouting these lyrics it's so strange knowing its certainly not a world they understand and more just going with the flow of popular culture.

When I was a kid the music wasn't as segregated as it is now and certainly wasn't as offensive in general and then there's the whole twitter thing where your errors in judgment as an ignorant young man can bite you in the ass as an adult when you are much more educated and less ignorant and move on from the ignorant or even hateful cultures you may have been surrounded by as you grew up . I don't know if as a society we are becoming more tolerant or less tolerant but these are not simple times for the youth of America.

• Love 1

23 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

As an older man who loves his rock and roll it sometimes seems odd to me that white kids immerse themselves in rap which can get very offensive towards women and can be offensive and hateful with regards to violence  drugs and gays and other things where the words are certainly reflective of an urban black upbringing.

When a white kid  starts spouting these lyrics it's so strange knowing its certainly not a world they understand and more just going with the flow of popular culture.

When I was a kid the music wasn't as segregated as it is now and certainly wasn't as offensive in general and then there's the whole twitter thing where your errors in judgment as an ignorant young man can bite you in the ass as an adult when you are much more educated and less ignorant and move on from the ignorant or even hateful cultures you may have been surrounded by as you grew up . I don't know if as a society we are becoming more tolerant or less tolerant but these are not simple times for the youth of America.

Classic rock wasn't as openly offensive but let's not act like it was "clean".  They may have been more subtle with their words, but they could be very offensive towards women, specifically those that were underage.

41 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Current rap music is extremely subpar but LittleHurt is right, it wasn't as openly offensive but to me, many rock and roll stars lives are just as offensive.  White people less guns but more hardcore drugs in the music industry.  My family (including myself) grew up on rock and roll but we also love hip hop, the music has smooth lyrics and great beats if you find the right stuff, it doesn't just need to be for black people.  Most of us also do not live a rock and roll life, same as hip hop/rap.

The Trib ranking the top 30 MLB neighborhoods.

I can't stop laughing at the fact they ranked Wrigley so high but yet they needed to point out a "Bro Free Alternative".  I would rank Target Field and Coors Field hoods over Wrigley.

Also easy to point out that they missed at least 11 bars closer to GRF than Maria's, bias (or stupid) much?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/ct-major-league-baseball-ballpark-neighborhoods-ranked-20180718-photogallery.html

On 7/19/2018 at 8:44 AM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's pretty fuckin racist

On 7/18/2018 at 12:04 PM, iWiN4PreP said:

Once again, after reading the article -- I'm not sure where the problem is here that this is a national story.

"Other Brewers at the game stood by Hader. As he was leaving the stadium, Brewers reliever Jeremy Jeffress told Yahoo Sports: “He made a mistake when he was younger. Sometimes you’ve got to live with your past. That’s not him. He’ll apologize. He’ll make it right. I wish and I hope people don’t take it out of context. It was a young, stupid mistake. I’ve made plenty of those. He’s a great guy. He’s humble. He doesn’t try to make it seem like he’s someone he’s not. It’s just a mistake he made.”"

I don't necessairly feel bad for Hader... but at the same time THIS is current culture. THIS is what is happening everywhere in white America (suburban more so then city I'd imagine) as kids are simply out of touch but growing up with Rap music + violence and other cultural norms.

I see no real problem and I would never label Hader as a racist based off these tweets.

Racist comments made when damn near 18 are harmless to you because you were once a young white well-off immature teen that made racist comments, as most young white racist well-off immature teens do, and the rest of the country should follow suit.  That's quite the logic you've got there.

4 hours ago, SleepyWhiteSox said:

Racist comments made when damn near 18 are harmless to you because you were once a young white well-off immature teen that made racist comments, as most young white racist well-off immature teens do, and the rest of the country should follow suit.  That's quite the logic you've got there. 

Wait -- these tweets by 18 year old Hader where Harmful to whom? Who exactly did these tweets harm? Because if they were harming someone, he would have been flagged much earlier in his life span and he would have learned his lesson earlier. So don't go preaching that shit here and don't go putting words into my 'mouth'. I'm not saying this is OK or that the rest of the country shouldn't acknowledge this as an issue -- I'm saying:

a) There's a very good chance that Hader has learned and is indeed NOT racist, at all.

b) That this is a societal problem that the 'rest of the country' should acknowledge and work to solve.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Gary Sanchez's lack of effort yesterday was pretty disgusting. First on a WP, jogging to the ball let a run score. Then jogged to first and was thrown out to end the game. The tying run would have scored if he gave some effort. 

Yeah that was bad. Directly effected the outcome of the game.

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Gary Sanchez's lack of effort yesterday was pretty disgusting. First on a WP, jogging to the ball let a run score. Then jogged to first and was thrown out to end the game. The tying run would have scored if he gave some effort. 

Who cares about manager rules that put you in the habit of always running out plays at first. It never effects the outcome of a game.