2018 MLB catch all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 05:08 PM)
Because...of course.

We will see if a team with two superstars can somehow be denied a playoff spot.

Also sucks west coast. Baseball would be so much better with no divisions and a balanced schedule.

QUOTE (reiks12 @ Apr 8, 2018 -> 05:12 PM)
Anyone live in Japan? I wonder how people react there

I saw Dice K's (MLB) debut in KC and the media was nuts.

From what I read, Ohtani now has at least 200 traveling with him from various Japanese media. To perform the way he has, after the tepid spring training results, is pretty amazing. Has the pressure of an entire country on his shoulders, at such a young age. That's not even considering what will be increasing US sports coverage, and "general interest" stories in papers like the NY Times, Washington Post, etc.

I would imagine an immense number have to following his games back in Japan, despite the 9 hour time difference from California.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/la-sp...0408-story.html

It was not even 10 o'clock on Sunday morning. The Angels would play the Oakland Athletics, but not for another three hours.

At that hour, the players usually speed right on into the parking lot. Not on this day.

"There's a carnival going on out there," one of the players said as he walked into the clubhouse.

The player spoke not out of jealousy, but out of wonderment. The concept that traffic would be so clogged so many hours before a game in Anaheim is something new, something different, something amazing.

So is Shohei Ohtani.

The Angels sold out. They sold 44,742 tickets, more than for opening day, more than for any regular-season day game since they downsized their stadium 20 years ago.

"That's as good as game as you could ever see pitched," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia, a man who does not traffic in hyperbole.

Ohtani never pitched a no-hitter in Japan. If this was not his best game, then what was?

"Probably my best outing ever was when I was in elementary school," he said, smiling as the answer was translated into English.

Ohtani induced 25 swinging strikes, the most by any major league pitcher this season. Of the 20 splitters he threw, the A’s swung and missed at 15.

He was so dominant that Scioscia was asked whether he might have had to make a decision about whether to let the pursuit of a perfect game override the concern about Ohtani’s pitch count.

“Possibly,” Scioscia said.

Where might that have been?

“We’ll never know,” Scioscia said.

And he accomplished all these feats with a world watching, including a live broadcast on NHK that started at 5 a.m. in Japan.

The baseball world is watching, too. Ohtani has more home runs than either Kris Bryant or Aaron Judge, more strikeouts than either Chris Sale or Max Scherzer.

Miguel Rojas, the former Dodgers infielder now with the Miami Marlins, hit the Marlins' third home run of the season Sunday.

“At least,” Rojas jokingly said to reporters, “we have as many as Ohtani now.”

Edited by caulfield12

White Sox legend Moises Sierra still in the league thanks to another familiar face..

MLBRosterMoves

@Nationals reinstate catcher Matt Wieters from 10-day DL; select contract of OF Moisés Sierra; place OF Adam Eaton (left ankle bone bruise) on 10-day DL, retro to 4/9; designate catcher Miguel Montero for assignment.

Ohtani getting first start against a lefty. 1/1 (off Matt Moore), now at .400, 8 RBI's playing about half the games. Very nice opposite field approach. Has a little of Ichiro in his game with the feet movement and lean as the pitch is nearing the plate.

Autographed Topps rookie cards are already in the $6-7000 range. Crazy. Like Bitcoin, except they’re at least tangible goods.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 01:20 PM)
White Sox legend Moises Sierra still in the league thanks to another familiar face..

MLBRosterMoves

@Nationals reinstate catcher Matt Wieters from 10-day DL; select contract of OF Moisés Sierra; place OF Adam Eaton (left ankle bone bruise) on 10-day DL, retro to 4/9; designate catcher Miguel Montero for assignment.

Eaton? On the DL? GTFOH

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 11, 2018 -> 06:20 PM)
Ohtani getting first start against a lefty. 1/1 (off Matt Moore), now at .400, 8 RBI's playing about half the games. Very nice opposite field approach. Has a little of Ichiro in his game with the feet movement and lean as the pitch is nearing the plate.

Autographed Topps rookie cards are already in the $6-7000 range. Crazy. Like Bitcoin, except they’re at least tangible goods.

I really enjoy watching Ohtani play. Your right, he does have some Ichiro in him.. Not saying he is going to be a Hall of Famer at this time, but I love his approach at the plate. With the Angeles off to a great start, he will get even more exposure. He seems to have a great head on his shoulders, and so far the limelight of the Major Leagues hasn't seemed to faze him in the slightest.

QUOTE (dacoachisdrunk @ Apr 12, 2018 -> 11:10 AM)
I really enjoy watching Ohtani play. Your right, he does have some Ichiro in him.. Not saying he is going to be a Hall of Famer at this time, but I love his approach at the plate. With the Angeles off to a great start, he will get even more exposure. He seems to have a great head on his shoulders, and so far the limelight of the Major Leagues hasn't seemed to faze him in the slightest.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/...-the-ante-again

https://sports.yahoo.com/shohei-ohtanis-gif...-064350140.html

Passan’s second article in a week on Ohtani...he lives in KC, so not far to go to see him in person

Ohtani another double...now 10/27.

Edited by caulfield12

Ohtani will go on eight day?€s rest against the Red Sox on Tuesday.

First real test against a top hitting team.

The Kansas City Royals-Los Angeles Angels game at Kauffman Stadium on Sunday afternoon was postponed because of cold weather. Temperature at the stadium around 1 p.m. Sunday was 31 degrees with a wind chill of 20. Shohei Ohtani was scheduled to start for the Angels

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/#storylink=cpy

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...e208958234.html

Royals’ fans blast team/MLB for last minute decision to call the game

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 12:43 PM)
Cubs PPD. Tigers, Yankees PPD. I really wonder why so many teams have to make their only trip to northern cities before taxes are due.

We need sabermetric schedule makers.

The teams in the south would never allow you to selectively stick their games in times of year when school is in session/when it's harder for them to sell tickets.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 08:49 PM)
44 year old Bartolo Colon perfect through 7 innings... against the ASTROS at that....

And Verlander having a game that is shades of Freddy Garcia vs Johan Santana in the Hump Dome from August 2005. One hit, a HR.

Edit: Leadoff BB for Colon to start the 8th. Now ova.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Apr 15, 2018 -> 08:49 PM)
44 year old Bartolo Colon perfect through 7 innings... against the ASTROS at that....

The best part of near perfect games is glancing at the all time perfect game list. And seeing Philip f***ing Humber still on that list. Forever.