2018 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

And now Murphy hits a game-winning HR in the 8th.

It's amazing that NO ONE wanted these two guys, and now they are saving the Cubs asses. How lucky can you be.

EDIT: My jinx worked! Saurez ties it in the 9th. But I'm sure Murphy will it a walkoff in the 10th or 11th.

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

18 minutes ago, flavum said:

Also would like to point out the trade deadline needs to get its shit together. Waiver deals need to be eliminated. 

One trade deadline- always a Wednesday night with 7.5 weeks left in the season. After that, you’re on your own. 

EVERY team passed on Cole Hamels before the Cubs. All 13 other NL teams passed on Murphy before the Cubs had a chance to claim him. This took a collection of all the other teams having their thumbs up their asses to get these guys to the Cubs. The Cubs had no advantages here, just unbelievable luck.

EDIT: Nevermind on Hamels. I wasn't sure if he was a waiver pick up, and when I googled it, the "Cubs claim Hamels off waivers" headline was from 2014. 

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

EVERY team passed on Cole Hamels before the Cubs. All 13 other NL teams passed on Murphy before the Cubs had a chance to claim him. This took a collection of all the other teams having their thumbs up their asses to get these guys to the Cubs. The Cubs had no advantages here, just unbelievable luck.

It’s not just an anti-Cubs thing. Because of money, there are too many players that get through. I just think being able to add from outside your organization with about 30 games left is pushing it. Make the deadline with 45-50 games left, and after that it’s done. 

• Like 1

I guess the Rockies still have Desmond for 1B as well?  One would think Murphy would be a better option than him or McMahon, though.

Maybe as a "progressive state," they (ownership group) were hesitant because of his "anti-gay" views?

Cole Hamels, 5 starts, 4-0, 0.79 ERA.   Would "only" cost $14 million next year since the Rangers are already kicking in $6 million for the buyout. (Oops, according to the Jeff Passan article on the state of the game, the Cubs would actually be on the hook for all $20 million, would only collect the $6 million for buying out the option, which is what 98% of MLB assumed was going to end up happening when he was acquired.  Might end up being the 1984 Rick Sutcliffe move all over again.)

Edited by caulfield12

On 8/27/2018 at 1:59 AM, caulfield12 said:

I guess the Rockies still have Desmond for 1B as well?  One would think Murphy would be a better option than him or McMahon, though.

Maybe as a "progressive state," they (ownership group) were hesitant because of his "anti-gay" views?

Cole Hamels, 5 starts, 4-0, 0.79 ERA.   Would "only" cost $14 million next year since the Rangers are already kicking in $6 million for the buyout. (Oops, according to the Jeff Passan article on the state of the game, the Cubs would actually be on the hook for all $20 million, would only collect the $6 million for buying out the option, which is what 98% of MLB assumed was going to end up happening when he was acquired.  Might end up being the 1984 Rick Sutcliffe move all over again.)

They could always buy out his option and then re-sign him at the $14 mill as a work around. That way Hamels still gets his $20m. He's been pitching well enough and still just 34 so I think he can land 2-3 year deal with some NL team. Maybe the Phillies look into bringing him back.

4 hours ago, LittleHurt05 said:

One-run must-win game in September, Josh Hader strikes out all six batters he faced on 24 pitches. 

And Joe Maddon brought in a gimpy hitter who couldn't hit anyway just to force Hader in the game.  WS winning manger there.

Joe Maddon does no wrong. When Lester was struggling and Rizzo was struggling, they had a talk with Maddon, and struggled no more. It does make you wonder why they didn't speak to him sooner. 

• Haha 1

On 9/11/2018 at 7:57 AM, LittleHurt05 said:

One-run must-win game in September, Josh Hader strikes out all six batters he faced on 24 pitches. 

And Joe Maddon brought in a gimpy hitter who couldn't hit anyway just to force Hader in the game.  WS winning manger there.

You don't think Hader wouldn't have come in the game anyway? He absolutely would have been on the mound.

22 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

You don't think Hader wouldn't have come in the game anyway? He absolutely would have been on the mound.

He didn't start the inning, but sure.  The point was that Maddon cared so much about the R/L that he was hoping for Josh freaking Hader to come in and replace Corbin Burnes or whoever, as if Hader is some bum LOOGY that can only get lefties out.

I think the Cubs are crying way too much about going to Washington. It's not a good thing but they can deal with it. The Angels arrived five in the morning the day they had to play the Sox in the first game of the ALCS. The Angels won that game. Sounds like the Cubs are already making excuses and the media is playing right along with it.

4 minutes ago, NWINFan said:

I think the Cubs are crying way too much about going to Washington. It's not a good thing but they can deal with it. The Angels arrived five in the morning the day they had to play the Sox in the first game of the ALCS. The Angels won that game. Sounds like the Cubs are already making excuses and the media is playing right along with it.

The cubs have one day off over a stretch of 30 days, i think this goes a lot further than "got in early in the morning and had to play"

If the Sox were in the Cubs position, and the division race was getting tighter, i would absolutely want this game delayed/postponed/shit canned.  Doesnt hurt to cry about it and hope you get a favor.