2018 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

16 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Joe the Clown back for another season.....I wonder what Cub fans will think when they win 86 games and miss the playoffs. I will be LMFAO. 

I would do whatever it took if Joe Maddon was shown the door on the north side to get him to be skipper on 35th and Shields.

You should probably feel that way as well.  Dude has had an insane run with Chicago and Tampa Bay.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, AustinIllini said:

I would do whatever it took if Joe Maddon was shown the door on the north side to get him to be skipper on 35th and Shields.

You should probably feel that way as well.  Dude has had an insane run with Chicago and Tampa Bay.

I don't want him anywhere near the South Side. Renteria is horrible, and he'd be a clear upgrade, but I want them to go in a different direction. 

Being the best manager in baseball is like winning a tallest midget contest. The best ones are the guys who don't make as many boneheaded, idiotic decisions as the next guy. A manager can definitely lose games for you, but they don't win them. Don't get me wrong, I think Maddon is probably top 5 in baseball, but I think he's a smug, pompous asshat, and I don't want him and his attitude near this team. 

Maddon fits right in with the fanbase and FO on the North Side. Smug, pompous, arrogant, and they all think they're the smartest guy in the room. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

Joe the Clown back for another season.....I wonder what Cub fans will think when they win 86 games and miss the playoffs. I will be LMFAO. 

Why do people bag on Joe? He's won everywhere he's gone. When was the last time the White Sox won 95 games?  Come on man.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I don't want him anywhere near the South Side. Renteria is horrible, and he'd be a clear upgrade, but I want them to go in a different direction. 

Being the best manager in baseball is like winning a tallest midget contest. The best ones are the guys who don't make as many boneheaded, idiotic decisions as the next guy. A manager can definitely lose games for you, but they don't win them. Don't get me wrong, I think Maddon is probably top 5 in baseball, but I think he's a smug, pompous asshat, and I don't want him and his attitude near this team. 

Maddon fits right in with the fanbase and FO on the North Side. Smug, pompous, arrogant, and they all think they're the smartest guy in the room. 

Jason, read the above why I can't stand Maddon. 

• Thanks 1

Maddon has won but before we call this cub run anything, the Dodgers have won 6 straight NL West crowns.  The cubs won the NL Central twice.  That is huge for Chicago but it is nothing earth shattering.  A healthy Cleveland rotation and the cub are still chasing that title.   

The AL has the four best teams in baseball and you could argue the A's and Rays are better than the cubs.

Tampa Bay has not missed a beat without him and they are probably better right now then when Joe was there.  They won 90 games and had to play New York and Boston 38 times.

The NL has been dreadful but is getting better.  If Machado and Harper go to the Phillies and San Diego's talent comes along the NL will only continue to be getting better. 

The Brewers only pitcher to throw over 160 innings was Jhoyls Chacin.  I get baseball is going to less reliance on starting pitching but the Brewers literally have none nor do the A's for that matter so maybe bullpens really are the next market correction.  The problem, bullpen arms are unreliable, that is why they are in the bullpen to begin with.

4 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

Maddon has won but before we call this cub run anything, the Dodgers have won 6 straight NL West crowns.  The cubs won the NL Central twice.  That is huge for Chicago but it is nothing earth shattering.  A healthy Cleveland rotation and the cub are still chasing that title.   

The AL has the four best teams in baseball and you could argue the A's and Rays are better than the cubs.

Tampa Bay has not missed a beat without him and they are probably better right now then when Joe was there.  They won 90 games and had to play New York and Boston 38 times.

The NL has been dreadful but is getting better.  If Machado and Harper go to the Phillies and San Diego's talent comes along the NL will only continue to be getting better. 

The Brewers only pitcher to throw over 160 innings was Jhoyls Chacin.  I get baseball is going to less reliance on starting pitching but the Brewers literally have none nor do the A's for that matter so maybe bullpens really are the next market correction.  The problem, bullpen arms are unreliable, that is why they are in the bullpen to begin with.

Thank you.  Not sure why so many are willing to buy into the Cubs’ self-appointed dynasty status.  I know everyone was promised a young murderers row lineup that would dominate for a decade.  But at this point, they’ve labored to one WS title, and it was built on the back of a lightning in a bottle rotation full of career years.  Nothing wrong with that—I enjoyed the hell out of the Sox doing the same—but they’re more mid 2010s Royals than 90s Braves.  They’re not top 5 in baseball now and they’re not exactly trending upward.  

5 hours ago, Harry Chappas said:

I literally thought to myself earlier: "Will we ever see a team have a 12 or 13-man staff strictly built with relievers that can go multiple innings?" Maybe if it were have 2 really good SP that could pitch 6 or 7 + every 1st and 3rd or 4th turn in the rotation.

On 10/3/2018 at 11:58 AM, AustinIllini said:

The Sox never get an experienced manager. It's often former players.  Fans get duped into thinking this is the right thing to do.  Omar Visquel will probably be the next manager.  As for the Cubs the experienced ones like Baker and Pinella didn't pan out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Thank you.  Not sure why so many are willing to buy into the Cubs’ self-appointed dynasty status.  I know everyone was promised a young murderers row lineup that would dominate for a decade.  But at this point, they’ve labored to one WS title, and it was built on the back of a lightning in a bottle rotation full of career years.  Nothing wrong with that—I enjoyed the hell out of the Sox doing the same—but they’re more mid 2010s Royals than 90s Braves.  They’re not top 5 in baseball now and they’re not exactly trending upward.  

The dynasty crap is overblown, but the Cubs are doing what every team should try to do: compete perennially.  That's the goal.  

• Like 1

On 10/4/2018 at 8:26 PM, kitekrazy said:

The Sox never get an experienced manager. It's often former players.  Fans get duped into thinking this is the right thing to do.  Omar Visquel will probably be the next manager.  As for the Cubs the experienced ones like Baker and Pinella didn't pan out. 

It can be in some cases.  Yankee and Red Sox management both must be under the assumption that broadcasting experience is the best training for a future manager as Cora and Boone have done pretty well their first year.  Then again maybe you and I could win w those rosters.  

On Wednesday, ESPN 1000 host David Kaplan suggested that “in the last several months” the Cubs had approached Boras and Bryant regarding “a massive extension,” worth “well north of $200 million” and Boras and Bryant turned it down. However, sources told The Athletic that the specifics of that suggestion (dubbed “whispers”) are “simply not true.” While the Cubs have approached Bryant in previous offseasons about an extension, there has been no new activity on that front. As is their standard way of going about business, this Cubs front office has attempted to extend many of the young players on its current roster in previous offseasons, thus far with nothing to show for it.

https://theathletic.com/582294/2018/10/11/the-only-thing-kris-bryant-wanted-to-extend-was-the-cubs-season/