2018 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

Happ(less)?

Karchner/Garland...? Except twice as bad for the Cubs.

Well, maybe this helps to balance out some other moves that haven?€t turned out so well. Weird how a minor league claim nobody even noticed at the time eventually served as such a key catalyst in the rebuild. Yes, it’s STILL early. But...

Finally, Albies, Swanson and Preston (brother of Kyle) Tucker are kicking a— and taking names.

Edited by caulfield12

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2018 at 5:23 PM, caulfield12 said:

Something off with the Cubs this year.  Obviously, Baez, Schwarber and Almora are doing well...but the bullpen, Quintana, Rizzo (Parkland shooting effects?), it’s just incredibly difficult to sustain a World Series level team.

Rizzo’s back is f***ed. It has nothing to do with the shooting.

11 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

With all of the talk of Wood's 20k game today, and all of the grief that Sammy Sosa got recently, would it be wrong to point out that both Kerry Wood and Mark Prior has careers full of the types of injuries that PED users often see?

i had heard about the possiblity/likelihood of Prior, but iirc there were a lot of people that thought Kerry Woods arm was a ticking time bomb from the get go.

50 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

i had heard about the possiblity/likelihood of Prior, but iirc there were a lot of people that thought Kerry Woods arm was a ticking time bomb from the get go.

And Prior went to USC, which I feel has a negative connotation with the PED stuff.  Guys like McGwire, Boone, Ensberg.

12 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

With all of the talk of Wood's 20k game today, and all of the grief that Sammy Sosa got recently, would it be wrong to point out that both Kerry Wood and Mark Prior has careers full of the types of injuries that PED users often see?

Not buying Wood at all from alot of accounts. Prior... that's another story.

9 hours ago, Soxbadger said:

Darvish seems like a good guy, donated some money to Piscotty's moms fund.

He's also the first player I've seen to go on the DL with the flu.  Not a bad move by the Cubs though, he only misses one start, it's the advantage of the 10-day DL instead of 15.

This thread is way too dead for me as a card-carrying, not-remotely-too-cool-for-school, third-generation Cub hater.  I need more to talk about while we await the arrival of the real White Sox team we've been promised. 

So here's the big-picture question.  The Cubs have been sold as the ultimate rebuild success story.  All seemed to be going according to script, with the earlier-than-expected coming out party in 2015 followed by the 2016 championship season.  It appeared to be opening act to an extended run of championship baseball.  Most of the Cub fans I know continue to carry their 2016 attitude today:  they feel blessed to be in the midst of the "juggernaut era" the rebuild was supposed to usher in.

And maybe they are.  But the counterpoint is that as we stand here in 2018, they were at most the third best team in baseball last season.  It's hard to argue that they've gotten better on a pure personnel level - the switch from Arrieta to Darvish, and from Wade Davis to Morrow & Co., were lateral moves at best (maybe not even that).  Their main competition from last year hasn't gone away, and several contenders have gotten better.  Their play has been uninspiring, though it's absurdly early.  Their farm system has been stripped pretty bare:  their next big wave is coming, but it's coming to the Bronx and 35th and Shields.

So what are the Cubs exactly?  Are they a sleeping giant that just took a post-championship hangover year off, and will momentarily return to form and rip off another title or two?  Or are they just another team:  one that rode some good moves, good luck, and a crazy-hot pitcher's career seasons to squeak by the Indians in extras of game 7, but have now fallen back into the pack of teams that are good but not "special"?  Time will tell, but I think it's interesting that this is among the last moments you can credibly argue for either of these scenarios.

34 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

This thread is way too dead for me as a card-carrying, not-remotely-too-cool-for-school, third-generation Cub hater.  I need more to talk about while we await the arrival of the real White Sox team we've been promised. 

So here's the big-picture question.  The Cubs have been sold as the ultimate rebuild success story.  All seemed to be going according to script, with the earlier-than-expected coming out party in 2015 followed by the 2016 championship season.  It appeared to be opening act to an extended run of championship baseball.  Most of the Cub fans I know continue to carry their 2016 attitude today:  they feel blessed to be in the midst of the "juggernaut era" the rebuild was supposed to usher in.

And maybe they are.  But the counterpoint is that as we stand here in 2018, they were at most the third best team in baseball last season.  It's hard to argue that they've gotten better on a pure personnel level - the switch from Arrieta to Darvish, and from Wade Davis to Morrow & Co., were lateral moves at best (maybe not even that).  Their main competition from last year hasn't gone away, and several contenders have gotten better.  Their play has been uninspiring, though it's absurdly early.  Their farm system has been stripped pretty bare:  their next big wave is coming, but it's coming to the Bronx and 35th and Shields.

So what are the Cubs exactly?  Are they a sleeping giant that just took a post-championship hangover year off, and will momentarily return to form and rip off another title or two?  Or are they just another team:  one that rode some good moves, good luck, and a crazy-hot pitcher's career seasons to squeak by the Indians in extras of game 7, but have now fallen back into the pack of teams that are good but not "special"?  Time will tell, but I think it's interesting that this is among the last moments you can credibly argue for either of these scenarios.

Making 3 straight LCS trips and winning one World Series is close to a juggernaut to me.  Do you know how hard that is in baseball?  Winning in the playoffs requires just as much luck as skill.  While they don't look great now, they are still on a pace to win 91 games and on paper are more talented than the two teams ahead of them.  They have still have time left in this group.