2018 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

All hail Rick Hahn.

This one might go down as the Cubs getting the short end of the stick on a trade similar to Bell for Sosa, but makes it even worse for the Cubs is the inclusion of Cease. Hahn dealt Quintana right before he completely fell apart, and even though he was in the process of doing so last season, Q had enough of a track record of being a really good pitcher that Hahn could sell teams on that he just had a bad start to the season. All the meanwhile, Quintana has lost it and has gone from a solid #2 to a #4-5. They should be glad they aren't paying him that much, and I could see the Cubs just declining his option in 2020 if his performance continues to go south. 

34 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

Most of us knew deep down that Q just wasn't the same last year;  getting a great deal for him, was the Sox big break in this rebuild.

I first realized that he isn't the same guy today. I chalked his poor start this year up to crappy weather. Maybe he couldn't grip the ball all that well, etc. He's clearly not the borderline ace he was with the Sox from 2014-16. Just goes to show that Theo is not infallible, contrary to what most clowns that are fans of the Chicago National League Ballclub think. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

18 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I keep waiting for the Cubs to do Cub things but it doesn't seem to be happening. They might just be too talented to mess this one up. 

The pitching is going to get them in the playoffs.  They can bang with the best of them but it’s gonna be tough sledding against other teams top pitching.  Especially if this current version of Jon Lester sticks around 

12 hours ago, Kyyle23 said:

The pitching is going to get them in the playoffs.  They can bang with the best of them but it’s gonna be tough sledding against other teams top pitching.  Especially if this current version of Jon Lester sticks around 

Their pitching is only slightly better than the Brewers. Their lineup is what is going to put them over the top. All of their pitchers have big names, but they all suck now. Lester has been their best pitcher in terms of run prevention and his ERA is 3.89. Hendricks is next best at 4.02. Quintana at 4.28 and Hamels has a 4.38. Darvish, when he was pitching had a 4.95 ERA.  Their pitching has been a joke, given how highly thought of they were to start the season. The issue is that Nobody in the NL race is much better. Whichever team comes out of the AL already has at least one pitcher better than anyone coming out of the NL with the exception of the Dodgers with a healthy Kershaw, and in 2018 I'd take Sale over him. The only team with pitchers I'd actually trust in the NL is the Nationals, and that is if Strasburg gets healthy, and they make the postseason. Scherzer is studly, I'm so glad he got the fuck out of the AL Central. 

Edited by Jack Parkman