2018 AL Central catch all thread

southsider2k5

The big question with the Twins is how willing they are to REALLY go for it this year...?

They'll lose Dozier and Mauer, and isn't this Santana's final contract year, unless they are willing to pay him $14 million next year (not to mention he would be 36)?

If Buxton, Sano and Berrios hit their ceilings, they're an 88-90 win team.

But they still wouldn't stack up against the NYY, Boston, Cleveland, Houston and what (for the moment) looks like the Angels if Ohtani is for real as a pitcher. The way the AL looks right now, they're #6, just ahead of the Mariners.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 12:29 PM)
Real petty stuff here from the Twins. They shifted while up 7 runs late in a game, with Berrios throwing a one hitter. Baltimore's hitter bunted for a base hit against the shift. Twins are pissed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/twins-...s-1508523114409

The "unwritten rules of baseball" or so f***ing stupid. There I said it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 12:29 PM)
Real petty stuff here from the Twins. They shifted while up 7 runs late in a game, with Berrios throwing a one hitter. Baltimore's hitter bunted for a base hit against the shift. Twins are pissed.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/twins-...s-1508523114409

Is that Brian McCann's music I hear??

I love the Twins, but that reaction from the play from Dozier and especially Berrios was disgusting. It's bad for the sport? You gotta be kidding me. You shift your entire infield defense and don't expect people to try to hit it where you are *not* ? Get f***ing real!

God that reaction makes me a bit sick in the stomach.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, flavum said:

Indians 17-17, 7-2 in the crap division.

Eliminate divisions, play a balanced schedule.

The Indians did exactly the same thing the last 2 years. In 2016 they ripped off like 25 wins or something ridiculous in June. In 2017 they ripped of like 20 straight wins in the 2nd half. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The Indians did exactly the same thing the last 2 years. In 2016 they ripped off like 25 wins or something ridiculous in June. In 2017 they ripped of like 20 straight wins in the 2nd half. 

I’m sure the Indians will have a great record, but I don’t think any team should be gifted a top-3 seed based on geography and having three rebuilding garbage teams in a 5-team division. 

Didn't the Padres end up winning a division once with a .500ish record or a few games below?

That won't happen with the Indians, barring catastrophic injuries.

But a team in Minnesota who was recently 10-17 can have one good week and almost be in first place.  Pathetic.  And they're playing without Sano OR Buxton.

So I was reading a Fangraphs article and someone in the comments pointed out that the Sox actually have the highest bullpen WAR in the division. I couldn't believe it so I looked and sure enough every other bullpen in the division has somehow been even worse. The AL Central also has a .333 winning percentage in interdivisional games. It's crazy how bad the AL Central is this year.

Edited by OmarComing25

• 2 weeks later...

Since tanking is the rage, it's obvious KC will flip Herrera at the deadline. He looks like he definitely has the stuff/moxie to help a team as 8th inning guy or closer.  What do you think KC will get for him and are you worried they've identified a guy they can get 2-3 position players for?