2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 04:20 PM)
Good lord, how did the idea that advanced stats LIKED James Shields somehow enter into your head?

Greg's bad.

Here's my brain's thought process. Nobody's getting all over KW/Hahn for giving up Tatis for Shields so I assumed his advanced stats were good at the time of the trade cause Hahn lovers on here cite advanced stats a lot. That's my bad if his advanced stats reeked at the time of the deal. Don't get me wrong. I'm OK with Hahn. Not OK with Shields topping the rotation.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 01:32 PM)
Greg's bad.

Here's my brain's thought process. Nobody's getting all over KW/Hahn for giving up Tatis for Shields so I assumed his advanced stats were good at the time of the trade cause Hahn lovers on here cite advanced stats a lot. That's my bad if his advanced stats reeked at the time of the deal. Don't get me wrong. I'm OK with Hahn. Not OK with Shields topping the rotation.

Holy s***, this couldn't be further from the truth. Perhaps some people just don't want to talk about it anymore because the trade happened 2 years ago, has been talked to death around here and the outcome really, really sucks so it's not super fun to talk about it. Constantly invoking that name is basically torture at this point, I've blocked the word Tatis on Twitter because I don't want to hear about it anymore, there's nothing I can do about it and hearing about it is not fun, sports are supposed to be fun.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 07:45 PM)
Holy s***, this couldn't be further from the truth. Perhaps some people just don't want to talk about it anymore because the trade happened 2 years ago, has been talked to death around here and the outcome really, really sucks so it's not super fun to talk about it. Constantly invoking that name is basically torture at this point, I've blocked the word Tatis on Twitter because I don't want to hear about it anymore, there's nothing I can do about it and hearing about it is not fun, sports are supposed to be fun.

Great points. I personally didn't sense too much angst about the loss of Tatis cause Sox have so many solid to great prospects coming up soon. I figure most people just figure there's bound to be a mistake or two made in the rebuild. But if I'm wrong, I can accept that fact.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 12:49 PM)
Great points. I personally didn't sense too much angst about the loss of Tatis cause Sox have so many solid to great prospects coming up soon. I figure most people just figure there's bound to be a mistake or two made in the rebuild. But if I'm wrong, I can accept that fact.

HAHA if you go over to the futuresox side of the board you would see how much angst there is. I am so tired of hearing about the mistake.

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 08:22 PM)
HAHA if you go over to the futuresox side of the board you would see how much angst there is. I am so tired of hearing about the mistake.

I can forgive him for a mistake. I just wish they'd have found a way to dump Shields. Pay half his salary or something to get him out of The Cell or Grate Field.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 04:29 PM)
I can forgive him for a mistake. I just wish they'd have found a way to dump Shields. Pay half his salary or something to get him out of The Cell or Grate Field.

They probably will get rid of him somehow next month when Kopech is up, depending on how Fulmer is doing

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 05:30 PM)
They probably will get rid of him somehow next month when Kopech is up, depending on how Fulmer is doing

If the Sox are responsible for his option, they owe Shields $12 million more. If not, they owe him $10 million. At $12 million, we are talking about $2 million a month. Honestly I think they keep him around long enough to see if a miracle happens, and then when someone is ready, off goes Shields to unemploymnent.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 2, 2018 -> 05:47 PM)
If the Sox are responsible for his option, they owe Shields $12 million more. If not, they owe him $10 million. At $12 million, we are talking about $2 million a month. Honestly I think they keep him around long enough to see if a miracle happens, and then when someone is ready, off goes Shields to unemploymnent.

I'm pretty sure San Diego is covering the option buyout.

This is interesting because there has been the urban legend that the White Sox were actually the Arod Runners Up at $160 million.

Andrew Marchand?Verified account @AndrewMarchand 14h14 hours ago Andrew Marchand Retweeted Evan Grant

Yes, Boras forced him to take $252M when highest next known offer was like $128M from Braves.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 9, 2018 -> 11:17 AM)
This is interesting because there has been the urban legend that the White Sox were actually the Arod Runners Up at $160 million.

Andrew Marchand?Verified account @AndrewMarchand 14h14 hours ago Andrew Marchand Retweeted Evan Grant

Yes, Boras forced him to take $252M when highest next known offer was like $128M from Braves.

Really? I don't remember where I heard this, but I had thought that we offered 200.

There's a new book out published by the Chicago Tribune called A Decade by Decade History of the Chicago White Sox. Lots of interesting photos of past White Sox players and teams. I think one of the most interesting items in the book is how it tells that Edward DeBartolo wanted to buy the White Sox from Bill Veeck. The AL owners thought he might move the team out of state and he agreed to put in writing that he would keep the team in the Chicagoland area AND build a new stadium WITH HIS OWN MONEY. The AL owners still rejected his bid to buy the team. They then wound up approving JR as the owner, who in a few years threatened and almost moved the team to Florida. Having JR acquire the White Sox instead of DeBartolo has to be one of the worse things to ever happen to the White Sox franchise.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 07:59 AM)
There's a new book out published by the Chicago Tribune called A Decade by Decade History of the Chicago White Sox. Lots of interesting photos of past White Sox players and teams. I think one of the most interesting items in the book is how it tells that Edward DeBartolo wanted to buy the White Sox from Bill Veeck. The AL owners thought he might move the team out of state and he agreed to put in writing that he would keep the team in the Chicagoland area AND build a new stadium WITH HIS OWN MONEY. The AL owners still rejected his bid to buy the team. They then wound up approving JR as the owner, who in a few years threatened and almost moved the team to Florida. Having JR acquire the White Sox instead of DeBartolo has to be one of the worse things to ever happen to the White Sox franchise.

Yea I’m sure Debartolo would have totally built a stadium with his own money

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 08:14 AM)
Yea I’m sure Debartolo would have totally built a stadium with his own money
I don't doubt it for a minute that DeBartolo would have built his own stadium. He made his fortune building shopping centers. I heard one of the writers from the Tribune on radio say that the new stadium would have been built next to a shopping center somewhere in the western suburbs.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 08:25 AM)
I don't doubt it for a minute that DeBartolo would have built his own stadium. He made his fortune building shopping centers. I heard one of the writers from the Tribune on radio say that the new stadium would have been built next to a shopping center somewhere in the western suburbs.

Of course you dont doubt it, you believe anyone if they tell you they are great and reinsdorf is terrible.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 08:27 AM)
If DeBartolo bought the team, he would have built the best stadium, would have have the highest payroll, the cheapest prices, and the best team, and it would have gone on for eternity. The 49ers prove it.

season tickets would be free for the fans that loved Eddie the most

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Apr 13, 2018 -> 08:32 AM)
Of course you dont doubt it, you believe anyone if they tell you they are great and reinsdorf is terrible. I don't think JR is terrible. I think he's a great owner. After all the team has been at the bottom in the standings, attendance and TV ratings fro years. What more could any White Sox fan want from an owner?

season tickets would be free for the fans that loved Eddie the most