2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

The rebuild process is in its 3rd calendar year, closing in on two total years.  Nowhere near the beginning. 3 of the top pitching prospects are already on the major league team as is one of the top 3 hitting prospects (the other 2 are in A ball).  There is one legitimate prospect in AAA.  None of the really top prospects are up the middle players.  Pitching is short (despite some claims of "excess").
Is it reasonable to question the progress?.....

6 minutes ago, GreenSox said:

The rebuild process is in its 3rd calendar year, closing in on two total years.  Nowhere near the beginning. 3 of the top pitching prospects are already on the major league team as is one of the top 3 hitting prospects (the other 2 are in A ball).  There is one legitimate prospect in AAA.  None of the really top prospects are up the middle players.  Pitching is short (despite some claims of "excess").
Is it reasonable to question the progress?.....

Your math is awful. This started with the Chris Sale trade. In terms of played baseball this is in the 2nd month of the second season. 

Sale and Eaton got traded 17 months ago. There's your math on the rebuild. 

I was optimistic that 2020-2024 would be the winning window, with 2019 being somewhat competitive and fun.

I'm moving everything a year just to temper my own expectations.  2019 will be garbage. 2020 will have some arms with experience that we're counting on. Then 2021-2025 is winning time.

1 hour ago, flavum said:

Sale and Eaton got traded 17 months ago. There's your math on the rebuild. 

I was optimistic that 2020-2024 would be the winning window, with 2019 being somewhat competitive and fun.

I'm moving everything a year just to temper my own expectations.  2019 will be garbage. 2020 will have some arms with experience that we're counting on. Then 2021-2025 is winning time.

We have to hope 2020- 2021 gets played. There will be a war starting around midseason 2020 prior to the expiration of the current CBA. would not surprise me if the players went on strike midseason 2020 again, cutting into the 2021 season. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

We have to hope 2020- 2021 gets played. There will be a war starting around midseason 2020 prior to the expiration of the current CBA. would not surprise me if the players went on strike midseason 2020 again, cutting into the 2021 season. 

The CBA ends after the 2021 season. I'm already expecting 2022 to be a strike-shortened season.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Your math is awful. This started with the Chris Sale trade. In terms of played baseball this is in the 2nd month of the second season. 

They made the decision less than a month after trading for Shields and drafting a ceiling reliever in the first round.  They just weren't able to  execute anything significant until the winter.

1 minute ago, GreenSox said:

They made the decision less than a month after trading for Shields and drafting a ceiling reliever in the first round.  They just weren't able to  execute anything significant until the winter.

That still is a bs way to try to call this 3 years.

16 hours ago, greg775 said:

It amazes me how a couple posters truly hate greg. Soxfan49 hates me. I'm just a Sox fan, soxfan49. I want us to win.

No one hates you. You just have no basis for your opinions. When we ask for specifics, you have none.

• Like 2

Not sure how much longer I can be subjected to this OF...Obviously the Avi injury hurts, but this OF is still just pathetic. I've seen enough to know that Leury, Engel, Thompson and Delmonico are never going to be major league regulars. I know the object isn't to win right now, but this team is just brutal to watch. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Not sure how much longer I can be subjected to this OF...Obviously the Avi injury hurts, but this OF is still just pathetic. I've seen enough to know that Leury, Engel, Thompson and Delmonico are never going to be major league regulars. I know the object isn't to win right now, but this team is just brutal to watch. 

I'm with you...

I can't stand any of them and honestly don't follow them what so ever. I have no expectation of them being on any winning white sox club. To be honest, I couldn't even name them on most random days and I watch almost all White sox games (that's how little I care about their at bats and how little my expectations are of them).

I want them gone. They aren't fun.

21 hours ago, WBWSF said:

1) Robertson and Jennings would still be on the team. 2) Shields would have never been on this team. 3) Arrieta accepted a 3 year contract with the Phillies with a 2 year TEAM OPTION. If he would have accepted the same deal here, he would be wearing a White Sox uniform. 4) Mike Moustakas signed a contract for $5 million dollars with a option for a second year. I would have signed him for 3 years. 5) Soria would not be on this team. 6) I would have tried to acquire another starting pitcher, maybe Chatwood. Due to the fact the first place team in our division (the Indians) has a losing record, I think the changes I would have made this team would be in contention. My objective would be to try and get the team in the Playoffs. Once you're in the Playoffs anything can happen. It appears to me as if  this organization  and Hahn  held up the white flag  before the season even started.  I don't believe in tear downs and holding up a white flag. I want to win.

Wouldn’t signing Moustakas mean losing a draft pick? I also don’t believe signing Moustakas would have been much help seeing as if how Sanchez and Davidson are perfectly fine at 3B/DH.

Do you really think this team would be that much better with Chatwood, Jennings and Robertson?

Arrieta wouldn’t have been a good signing. The best FO in baseball clearly saw he’s losing it, and every team but one had significant interest in him. Doesn’t that tell you enough?

The Shields acquisition happened years ago now. Give it up.

43 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Wouldn’t signing Moustakas mean losing a draft pick? I also don’t believe signing Moustakas would have been much help seeing as if how Sanchez and Davidson are perfectly fine at 3B/DH.

Do you really think this team would be that much better with Chatwood, Jennings and Robertson?

Arrieta wouldn’t have been a good signing. The best FO in baseball clearly saw he’s losing it, and every team but one had significant interest in him. Doesn’t that tell you enough?

You can't get a QO two seasons in a row.

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

I think the 2018 White Sox would have been better  with Arrieta, Chatwood, Jennings Robertson, and Moustakas. Alot better.

Edited by WBWSF

15 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I think the 2018 White Sox would have been better  with Arrieta, Chatwood, Jennings Robertson, and Moustakas. Alot better.

And in exchange they would have given up Rutherford, Clarkin, Polo, Casey Gillespie, and our 2nd and 3rd round picks this year... all so they could be a .500 team.

14 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

By what, 20 wins? So instead of 52 wins they’d win 72? And then what?

The team would have won at least 90 wins, maybe 95 wins. From there the team would have gone on to glory in the playoffs and World Series.

18 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

The team would have won at least 90 wins, maybe 95 wins. From there the team would have gone on to glory in the playoffs and World Series.

While you and Heidi Klum snuggle in the owners box. What a wonderful life.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2018 at 11:06 AM, southsider2k5 said:

If you were to project out this season based on the first 34 games, and assuming zero improvement or impact from someone like Kopech and Rodon getting back to Chicago, this team is on a pace to give up 915 runs.  The 1998 team gave up 931 runs.

This rotation is worse. 1998 was peak steroid era. Smallish sample size but pen and rotation awful 

13 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Arrieta has gotten worse each of the last 2 seasons (he more than doubled his ERA from 2015 to 2017). Chatwood is nothing special. Jennings is mediocre (his WHIP after being traded last year almost hit 1.70). I'm not sure how you believe those 3 guys + Robertson would turn this team from a ~60 win team to a 90+ win team, but judging how you ended your post, I can assume that you're only seeking attention at this juncture.

Edited by soxfan49

On 5/11/2018 at 7:38 PM, WBWSF said:

Last year I thought Hahn was not going to be rehired. I wrote JR a letter asking him if I can be interviewed for the White Sox GM job. Turns out Hahn was rehired and I didn't get a response from JR to my letter. Looks like Hahn is going to be the GM as long as JR owns the team. In 2001 JR hired Roland Hemond to assist Ken Williams. I'm going to write JR another letter and ask him if he would bring back Hemond again to assist Hahn. Roland Hemond is 88 years old and has forgotten more about baseball than Hahn will ever know. Perhaps Hemond will help him right this ship. What harm would it do to bring Hemond back? Then again Hahn might be offended by Hemond being hired and he'll resign.

Dear Sox owner:

Hire me as GM. I hate you and wish that you'd sell the team.

WBWSF

1 hour ago, soxfan49 said:

Arrieta has gotten worse each of the last 2 seasons (he more than doubled his ERA from 2015 to 2017). Chatwood is nothing special. Jennings is mediocre (his WHIP after being traded last year almost hit 1.70). I'm not sure how you believe those 3 guys + Robertson would turn this team from a ~60 win team to a 90+ win team, but judging how you ended your post, I can assume that you're only seeking attention at this juncture.

Let me put it this way, we weren't winning 80 games with Sale, Eaton, Quintana, Jennings, and Robertson all at peak performances.  There is no way that steaming pile wins 90 to 95.

• Thanks 1