2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

19 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

I'm with you...

I can't stand any of them and honestly don't follow them what so ever. I have no expectation of them being on any winning white sox club. To be honest, I couldn't even name them on most random days and I watch almost all White sox games (that's how little I care about their at bats and how little my expectations are of them).

I want them gone. They aren't fun.

Leury and Delmonico would have secure spots but for the pitching taking over some spots.

19 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Gordon Beckham is getting called up for the Mariners today and will probably be the starter at 2B while Cano is out.  They  might move Dee back to 2B but the beat writer Shannon Dreyer, who is usually reliable, thinks they will let Beckham get some starts there, at least for now.

Gordon's walkup music has made him invincible.

1 hour ago, TheTruth05 said:

Gordon's walkup music has made him invincible.

Find it sickening that some people think Charlie Blackmon was the first one to use it. He stole it from Beckham. That said, if he was a bigger star...

Edited by SoxAce
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Gordon Beckham is getting called up for the Mariners today and will probably be the starter at 2B while Cano is out.  They  might move Dee back to 2B but the beat writer Shannon Dreyer, who is usually reliable, thinks they will let Beckham get some starts there, at least for now.

Hah.  Good for Gordon.  He's actually been pretty good with the bat in AAA so far this season. 

Ozzie Guillen had charm as well as his "rare" displays of no class. Asked about Beckham changing his walk up song ... Ozzie was so damn funny. A genius. If you don't think this is hilarious you are just a grumpy person.

“If he’s going to start hitting, I’ll bring the band. I’ll pay every day for them to have a concert for him,” said a smiling Guillen. … “But … I would bring Michael Jackson back to life. I would have a concert every day and fire all the coaches.”

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

Hah.  Good for Gordon.  He's actually been pretty good with the bat in AAA so far this season. 

According to Servais he's going to get the majority of starts at 2B.  Cano is now out for at least 80 games so he'll have plenty of opportunity.  He was 0-4 last night.  Stop me if you've heard that before.  This is probably it for him as a MLB player.  If he can't at least hit something like 250/300/350 they will probably just DFA him when Robinson is back.  They might DFA him before that if someone better comes around.  Now that he's on the 25 and 40 man the pressure is on.  Paychecks are much better though.

6 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

According to Servais he's going to get the majority of starts at 2B.  Cano is now out for at least 80 games so he'll have plenty of opportunity.  He was 0-4 last night.  Stop me if you've heard that before.  This is probably it for him as a MLB player.  If he can't at least hit something like 250/300/350 they will probably just DFA him when Robinson is back.  They might DFA him before that if someone better comes around.  Now that he's on the 25 and 40 man the pressure is on.  Paychecks are much better though.

They'll have a different 2B by June. Probably via a trade.

3 minutes ago, knightni said:

They'll have a different 2B by June. Probably via a trade.

That seems the best bet.  Otherwise they could move Dee to 2B and try out Gamel or Haniger in CF but that seems pretty extreme.  That would also force Cruz onto the field some nights.

Sucks for the Mariners they were finally generating some real excitement here, and now this.   Difference between Cano and Gordo the rest of the way is probably about 3 wins.  That's three wins they couldn't afford to give up.

15 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

That seems the best bet.  Otherwise they could move Dee to 2B and try out Gamel or Haniger in CF but that seems pretty extreme.  That would also force Cruz onto the field some nights.

Sucks for the Mariners they were finally generating some real excitement here, and now this.   Difference between Cano and Gordo the rest of the way is probably about 3 wins.  That's three wins they couldn't afford to give up.

Yolmer or Leury would be great fits out there.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2018 at 6:25 AM, oldsox said:

Gordon's best offensive season was his first year in majors -- 2009 I believe.

Remember that like it was yesterday.  He started out brutally, got his average well over .300, then cooled off again to get let his average settle in like the .270s

1 minute ago, flavum said:

Rangers series...Yoan batting righty a lot.

Hamels-Shields

Fister-Fulmer 

Moore-Giolito 

Minor-Lopez

Good. It'll be nice to get some more sample size in those numbers as a RH. I also think he has been looking better from that side lately

On 5/13/2018 at 12:48 PM, Jack Parkman said:

We have to hope 2020- 2021 gets played. There will be a war starting around midseason 2020 prior to the expiration of the current CBA. would not surprise me if the players went on strike midseason 2020 again, cutting into the 2021 season. 

Super. And I hope the Sox are really good when they strike. It will remind us of the 94 strike season. The Sox had a legitimate chance that year to make a run. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kwolf68 said:

Super. And I hope the Sox are really good when they strike. It will remind us of the 94 strike season. The Sox had a legitimate chance that year to make a run. 

And the 1981 season when the Sox had the town buzzing, new ownership and just two games (I think off the lead) when things shut down.

It would be so very White Sox for it to happen again to them a third time.

17 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

And the 1981 season when the Sox had the town buzzing, new ownership and just two games (I think off the lead) when things shut down.

It would be so very White Sox for it to happen again to them a third time.

I didn't recall that about 1981, but I do know the 94 thing pissed me off. I thought that was the year the Sox would make a run, felt it. And then the entire season sent into the crapper. Unreal. I will admit I gave up baseball...didn't get back into it until the year the Sox made the playoffs and lost to Seattle, then I was back. 

Edited by kwolf68

To soak up the sorrows of a sorry state of Sox affairs right now I took a trip down 1983 memory lane by strolling along Youtube for ole Videos. YES, that season ended with brutal disappointment, but it was still a HELL-A fun year.

I remember that year because I went to see the Sox v. Baltimore in August, Friday night. It rained and rained. Finally they got it started like 2-3 hours later and RANDY MARTZ started the game (he actually pitched well). Sox lead that game the entire way and lost a 4-2 lead on something like 6 or 7 straight singles with two outs that left my idiot Oriole friend ragging me. ANYWAY, I was set to goto camp that Sunday and my mom said had the game been rained out we'd have gotten tickets to the Saturday game, instead of Martz pitching Saturday I'd have gotten to see one of the horses (Floyd, Dot, Hoyt) and of course the Sox won both Saturday and Sunday (in fact I listened to the Sunday game while driving to summer camp). I was intoxicated with the White Sox, read the American League red book from cover to cover, drank the cool aide and had so much fun, but good god Game 4 of the ALCS is a haunting horrible memory. Thank god for 2005!!! 

Edited by kwolf68