2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

5 hours ago, FT35 said:

Ownership also might not have liked the details of a KW rebuild.  I think what ultimately sold them on RH's plan was the timing of it and how all sorts of details came together around the league to create the perfect storm for the Sox.  Had they set out down that path 2 years ago, it wouldn't have been nearly as productive in my opinion.  The fact that it came at a time when the conteding teams were also the large market teams who also had the top farm systems--at a time where we held the most valuable positional assets on several players in high-value/high-demand positions (SP, RP)--with very little competition from a weak FA class--not to mention very few other full-on rebuilding teams to contend with.  It was a "fool-proof" as it gets from a timing perspective.  

Adding to this - I think the Sox decide against a full tear-down rebuild if the LaRoche and Sale fiascos never happen. I think both incidents opened their eyes to just how bad the clubhouse culture and team chemistry was in 2016.  

True. But first of all, the Sox management was at fault in the Sale thing. Money pitcher uncomfortable in jerseys and team doesn't care and will pitch him anyway. Simply insane in this day and age of pitchers getting hurt and being babied. For some reason they draw the line and will make their money man lefty ace pitch in those unis. He warns them, they don't care, so he tears them up. Is willing to pay for them, front office doesn't care; fans, at least the vocal ones, turn on Sale.

Secondly, LaRoche in retrospect probably knew he was about finished. He's actually supposed to be a good guy. Does a lot for charity, etc.

10 hours ago, FT35 said:

Ownership also might not have liked the details of a KW rebuild.  I think what ultimately sold them on RH's plan was the timing of it and how all sorts of details came together around the league to create the perfect storm for the Sox.  Had they set out down that path 2 years ago, it wouldn't have been nearly as productive in my opinion.  

When did KW want to do a rebuild? And, really a rebuild never made much sense until the time he stepped out of the GM chair.
And they did set down the path 2 years ago (22 months anyway).  If you meant 2 years earlier, yes, they would have been dealing with the Cards, Rangers, Giants, Royals and Mets..probably  wouldn't have been as bountiful if they were trying to trade Sale, but good enough for most of the rest of the players.  And they may not have had to trade Sale.   And they would have Tatis.  They would have been worse in 2014, which might have netted Benintendi.   They needed to rebuild after 2013. Hahn knew it. He started rebuilding.  It was aborted for some reason.

And speaking of "What ifs", what if instead of making the bizarre trade for 1 year of Samardzija, they had traded for 4 years of Donaldson, whom the Jays got with a similar package?

Good move optioning Fulmer.  Let me work things out without the pressure.

Edited by GreenSox

On 5/17/2018 at 3:41 PM, bmags said:

Basically the worst performing acquisition so far may be Casey Gillaspie, and the guy we traded for him is I think currently available.

Jennings is pitching reasonably well for the Brewers.   He was a good pitcher, but not someone who's going to bring back much in prospects.
One thing that is missing is getting something out of the 2nd tier trades...the Brewers mastered this:   Zach Davies for 2 months of Parra;  they  scored when moving Segura (who had 2 successive years of not hitting a lick before they traded him); year and a half of Gomez yields Santana and Hader.   And the help with these young players was almost immediate.   And the Cubs and Astros were helped in their progress with second tier trades as well.

Just now, GreenSox said:

Jennings is pitching reasonably well for the Brewers.   He was a good pitcher, but not someone who's going to bring back much in prospects.
One thing that is missing is getting something out of the 2nd tier trades...the Brewers mastered this:   Zach Davies for 2 months of Parra;  they  scored when moving Segura (who had 2 successive years of not hitting a lick before they traded him); year and a half of Gomez yields Santana and Hader.   And the help with these young players was almost immediate.   And the Cubs and Astros were helped in their progress with second tier trades as well.

The same Dan Jennings who was released in spring training by Tampa Bay?

The front page of trib sports has a profile of Wilson Contreras with a big “TWTW” at top and headline of The Will To Win, and even though I hate that Hawkism it really pisses me off they just co opt it for the cubs.

3 hours ago, smalls2598 said:

I took my 4 year old daughter to her first game yesterday, but we left before the Buona Beef race. Does anyone know which beef won? I'm hoping I have a free  sandwich!

They don’t know who won. Take it with your ticket stub & you’ll get a free sandwich regardless

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Didn't DNA evidence prove him innocent?

DNA connected somebody else- a serial rapist that hasn’t been identified publically, which is weird. The family of the victim isn’t happy Coleman and the other guy got out. 

ESPN2 is re-airing Tuesday morning 4am central. 

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Didn't DNA evidence prove him innocent?

That doesn’t mean Coleman wasn’t there, it just means his DNA wasn’t found 22 years later. Maybe he performed the sodomy. Maybe he slammed the brick down her throat. Maybe he truly wasn’t there.

The DNA that was identified did match another serial rapist, but it’s strange that he hasn’t been arrested yet.

The Chicago PD representative that they interviewed swears that they never forced a confession of Coleman and he swears Coleman had something to do with it; his initial confession was far too detailed to be completely fake.

Edited by soxfan49

13 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

That doesn’t mean Coleman wasn’t there, it just means his DNA wasn’t found 22 years later. Maybe he performed the sodomy. Maybe he slammed the brick down her throat. Maybe he truly wasn’t there.

The DNA that was identified did match another serial rapist, but it’s strange that he hasn’t been arrested yet.

The Chicago PD representative that they interviewed swears that they never forced a confession of Coleman and he swears Coleman had something to do with it; his initial confession was far too detailed to be completely fake.

This is a take straight out of the Central Park 5.

11 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

This is a take straight out of the Central Park 5.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I’d 1) suggest watching it and 2) read the comments sections of the various new outlets covering the story and you’ll see that the views/takes are about 50-50 in viewing him innocent or guilty.

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I’d 1) suggest watching it and 2) read the comments sections of the various new outlets covering the story and you’ll see that the views/takes are about 50-50 in viewing him innocent or guilty.

I make it a rule to NOT read comments sections.  As a rule, that is where the least informed and most opinionated people hang out.

And let's be honest here. Nothing the Chicago PD has to say about 20 years ago should be accepted as fact.  They routinely tortured people into confessions for crimes they didn't commit in order to close cases, and in some times to cover their own crimes, even keeping a secret interrogation center off of the books that the used to beat subjects into submission.  The City of Chicago has paid out over nine figures in lawsuits and settlements to pay off victims of these crimes.  People like Jon Burge wrote confessions for victims and fed them to them, so his "knowing" details of the crime while being innocent isn't even that implausible.

Finally there is zero physical evidence connecting him or the other man convicted of this crime.  At this point, this is Donald Trump saying that the Central Park 5 are still guilty, even after they have been full exonerated.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

And let's be honest here. Nothing the Chicago PD has to say about 20 years ago should be accepted as fact.  They routinely tortured people into confessions for crimes they didn't commit in order to close cases, and in some times to cover their own crimes, even keeping a secret interrogation center off of the books that the used to beat subjects into submission.  The City of Chicago has paid out over nine figures in lawsuits and settlements to pay off victims of these crimes.  People like Jon Burge wrote confessions for victims and fed them to them, so his "knowing" details of the crime while being innocent isn't even that implausible.

Bingo. 

Man, I remember when Baseball Tonight was a joy to watch. Now they show about a third of that day’s highlights.

The Sox and Rangers stink but you’d think an 8 inning, dominant shutout by one of the Sox big rebuild pieces would garner *some* publicity.