2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

4 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Man, I remember when Baseball Tonight was a joy to watch. Now they show about a third of that day’s highlights.

The Sox and Rangers stink but you’d think an 8 inning, dominant shutout by one of the Sox big rebuild pieces would garner *some* publicity.

This is ESPN you're talking about. To them, Chicago only has an NL ballclub. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Nothing the Chicago PD has to say about 20 years ago should be accepted as fact....People like Jon Burge wrote confessions for victims and fed them to them, so his "knowing" details of the crime while being innocent isn't even that implausible.

Finally there is zero physical evidence connecting him or the other man convicted of this crime.  At this point, this is Donald Trump saying that the Central Park 5 are still guilty, even after they have been full exonerated.

Well, he was the last person seen with the victim, and she was found dead in his basement. There's quite a bit of circumstantial evidence. Did he rape her? Probably not. Was he there when the assault happened? Doesn't seem impossible. 

I don't disagree with you on the Chicago Police's sordid history, but, for me, this is not a feel good story of a wrongly convicted man's sentence being overturned. I don't feel like he's entirely innocent in this case.

That said, he was exonerated, so I don't have a huge problem with him getting the financial settlement that is sure to come. I wouldn't mind if he wasn't working for the Sox though. They had no obligation to rehire him.

• Like 1

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/reynaldo-lopez-changing-place-white-220331008.html

Love the quotes from Lopez.

"It's not about what people say or what they are talking about," Lopez said through a translator. "It's about the confidence I have in myself, and I have plenty of confidence in myself. For me, I'm the best. I'm not saying the other guys are not. I'm just saying that's the confidence I have. When I'm on the mound, I'm the best and I don't care about the rest."

Sunday marked the best start of Lopez's young career, so said the pitcher himself. He was terrific in shutting down the visiting Texas Rangers, holding them to just two hits over eight scoreless innings.

It was one heck of a bounce-back performance considering what happened last time out, when he was roughed up for six runs in just two innings against the Pittsburgh Pirates.

The difference? His attitude, his focus, his intensity, his conviction.

"I just changed my attitude in the game," Lopez said. "I was more positive today than I was in my last outing and that was one of my biggest differences."

"I do think he came out a little bit more focused, to be honest," manager Rick Renteria said. "The intensity level was a little higher today. I think he threw the first couple pitches 97, 98 miles an hour, where his last outing they were at 93, 94. There wasn't a whole lot of commitment or conviction to his pitches (against the Pirates). I think, as we talked after the last outing, (pitching coach Don Cooper) spoke to him a little about making sure he brought that intensity that he has the ability to do, to bring it from Pitch 1 and he did today."

Renteria liked it all, and he saw something different in his pitcher when he went out to talk to him with two outs in the eighth. Lopez issued a two-out walk, and Renteria considered lifting Lopez from the game.

Lopez made sure his manager wouldn't pull the plug on this outing.

"I hid the baseball in my glove because I didn't want to leave the game," Lopez said. "I asked me, ‘How are you? Are you good?' And I told him, ‘Yes, I'm good.' Then he asked me again, ‘Do you think you are able to get him out?' And I said yes, ‘This is my game, and I'm going to finish it.'"

20 hours ago, iWiN4PreP said:

Someone has to tell Renteria to stop batting Moncada 6th.

I don't think the problem is Renteria--it's the fact that Moncada hasn't gotten his RH at bats figured out yet this year.  He's a completely different hitter RHed--one that plays as a 6th guy in the lineup.  He's hitting .154 vs LHP so it makes sense to bury that number into the lineup rather than to lead off with it.  As soon as he starts putting up numbers RHed--I think you'll see him slot differently--maybe not leadoff but def a more important spot than 6th.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FT35 said:

I don't think the problem is Renteria--it's the fact that Moncada hasn't gotten his RH at bats figured out yet this year.  He's a completely different hitter RHed--one that plays as a 6th guy in the lineup.  He's hitting .154 vs LHP so it makes sense to bury that number into the lineup rather than to lead off with it.  As soon as he starts putting up numbers RHed--I think you'll see him slot differently--maybe not leadoff but def a more important spot than 6th.  

Yet he had Engel bat leadoff at Wrigley while he was hitting .169.

It's a lost season. Put Moncada in the 1 spot and leave him.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, zisk said:

you're a real class act.

Yeah, not being convinced that a guy didn't commit any crime since the woman was found in his basement, raped and murdered, and being the last person to see her alive really deserves a "you're a real class act" <_<

3 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Yeah, not being convinced that a guy didn't commit any crime since the woman was found in his basement, raped and murdered, and being the last person to see her alive really deserves a "you're a real class act" <_<

Three letters DNA, P.S. Why don't you give the team a call. Maybe you guys could hold a John Burge day next season.

Edited by zisk

This guy isn't bright enough to get away with murder. Back then, you wouldn't have known to make sure none of your DNA was around, and even if you did, he isn't the guy who would have been able to figure out how to have none of his there. The guy is a grounds crew guy, not very sophisticated. If there is no DNA, there are overwhelming odds he wasn't there. 

There was something signed that said he was innocent. False confessions happen all the time. To think they did get the right guy is not being fair iMO.

Edited by Dick Allen

Dee Gordon officially on the DL, broken toe.   The Yolmer to Seattle talk can really start up now.  Not sure the Sox would even be interested in anything they can offer though.  Flipping through some of their preseason minor league rankings --  that is a shitty farm they have.  Might be the worst in baseball.  Only two guys in their  top 10 I'd think the Sox would have interest in are Evan White and Julio Rodriguez and both are B- types at best.  I'd take those two guys for Yolmer but I'd be happier if they threw in that Sam Carlson kid.  I have no interest in Kyle Lewis.  I'd be surprised if Lewis ever plays a MLB inning.  His knees seem shot already. 

Edited by chitownsportsfan

5 hours ago, SoxAce said:

You watch your mouth with this nonsense. 

Everybody knows I'm a huge Yolmer fan.  Don't want to crow too much but I long predicted he's be a solid regular and a useful supersub at worst.

That said, at the end of the day I root for laundry.  If the Sox can squeeze a desperate club into trading two "B-" type prospects and another "C+" type out of Yolmer -- do it.  Keep adding depth to the system.  Yolmer is a nice 2-3 WAR player and is starting to get more expensive in arb.  If they aren't going to trade him I'd want them to buy him out of arb and make sure he's a Sox through 2023.

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Everybody knows I'm a huge Yolmer fan.  Don't want to crow too much but I long predicted he's be a solid regular and a useful supersub at worst.

That said, at the end of the day I root for laundry.  If the Sox can squeeze a desperate club into trading two "B-" type prospects and another "C+" type out of Yolmer -- do it.  Keep adding depth to the system.  Yolmer is a nice 2-3 WAR player and is starting to get more expensive in arb.  If they aren't going to trade him I'd want them to buy him out of arb and make sure he's a Sox through 2023.

Yeah this.  I honestly think Yolmer is probably my favorite player as a fan, but if we got a decent trade offer for him, I'd drive him to ORD myself.

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yeah this.  I honestly think Yolmer is probably my favorite player as a fan, but if we got a decent trade offer for him, I'd drive him to ORD myself.

Also my favorite WS. If he were traded now I probably couldn't watch an inning until we get good again.

3 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Yolmer is not a superstar but he brings a lot of energy and a certain clutch confidence that I wish was contagious. Any club could use a guy with his skill set. I would prefer his name be Gomer Sanchez just for fun. He may stick around a while.