2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

You just don't trade guys like that. Trayce Thompson just got here and said that guy is the glue of that clubhouse and has been since both were teenagers. He is the reason I've changed my avatar for the first time in 5+ years (minus the whole Dougly appearance out of nowhere).

1 minute ago, Jose Abreu said:

Thanks for ruining my day!

Eh, for me it is the opposite.  I like knowing that they are identifying guys like Vlad and He Who Shall Not be Named in the San Diego system.  I like knowing that they are able to ID talent, even if they aren't able to sign them.

On 5/24/2018 at 2:04 AM, chitownsportsfan said:

Everybody knows I'm a huge Yolmer fan.  Don't want to crow too much but I long predicted he's be a solid regular and a useful supersub at worst.

That said, at the end of the day I root for laundry.  If the Sox can squeeze a desperate club into trading two "B-" type prospects and another "C+" type out of Yolmer -- do it.  Keep adding depth to the system.  Yolmer is a nice 2-3 WAR player and is starting to get more expensive in arb.  If they aren't going to trade him I'd want them to buy him out of arb and make sure he's a Sox through 2023.

14/22 (qualified) at 3rd...so pretty much close to league average

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=3b&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=8&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0

On 5/23/2018 at 1:04 PM, chitownsportsfan said:

Everybody knows I'm a huge Yolmer fan.  Don't want to crow too much but I long predicted he's be a solid regular and a useful supersub at worst.

That said, at the end of the day I root for laundry.  If the Sox can squeeze a desperate club into trading two "B-" type prospects and another "C+" type out of Yolmer -- do it.  Keep adding depth to the system.  Yolmer is a nice 2-3 WAR player and is starting to get more expensive in arb.  If they aren't going to trade him I'd want them to buy him out of arb and make sure he's a Sox through 2023.

Yolmer is also getting better.  Don't really want a bunch of mediocre volume for him.  The Sox would be lucky to get another Yolmer for him - and that Yolmer wouldn't be Yolmer for a few years.  Or it would be another stunted AAA guy like Tilson.  
 The C+s are what I want out of these bullpen flippers.

Edited by GreenSox

1 minute ago, flavum said:

HD cameras must not be cheap. 

Nice quick first inning.

Thought they were playing on Mars. Sat through the Southside pounding today but enjoying Jose Jr with another HR. 

8 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Eh, for me it is the opposite.  I like knowing that they are identifying guys like Vlad and He Who Shall Not be Named in the San Diego system.  I like knowing that they are able to ID talent, even if they aren't able to sign them.

That is some kind of progress report for the team with the longest tenured owner AND a 1-2 management team now in their 18th year of running this baseball operation.  They are now able, after all of this time, to “ID talent”.  

Baby steps.  Progress has a new address, located at the offices of 35th & Shields.

Edited by Fan O'Faust

7 hours ago, Fan O'Faust said:

That is some kind of progress report for the team with the longest tenured owner AND a 1-2 management team now in their 18th year of running this baseball operation.  They are now able, after all of this time, to “ID talent”.  

Baby steps.  Progress has a new address, located at the offices of 35th & Shields.

It will be progress when you respond to a post without hatred towards ownership.

16 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Do they really deserve that much credit for identifying that a Hall of Famer's son might be good at baseball?

10 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

Do they really deserve that much credit for identifying that a Hall of Famer's son might be good at baseball?

Tatis Sr is a hall of famer? 😜

lets be honest though, second generation players aren’t always good

21 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Tatis Sr is a hall of famer? 😜

lets be honest though, second generation players aren’t always good

I guarantee you he's mentioned in Cooperstown somewhere.  Two grand slams in one inning!

I know they aren't always good, but Vlad Jr. was a star and hot shot prospect by the age of 14, so it's not like the Sox found him as a diamond on the rough, everyone knew about him.  About the second gen players, the top 3 hitters in New Hampshire's lineup are named Bichette, Biggio, and Guerrero.

28 minutes ago, LittleHurt05 said:

I guarantee you he's mentioned in Cooperstown somewhere.  Two grand slams in one inning!

I know they aren't always good, but Vlad Jr. was a star and hot shot prospect by the age of 14, so it's not like the Sox found him as a diamond on the rough, everyone knew about him.  About the second gen players, the top 3 hitters in New Hampshire's lineup are named Bichette, Biggio, and Guerrero.

Well yea, Toronto is obviously good at identifying talent 😉

Read a blurb on a Rockies board where they have interest in Abreau. Not that I'd be advocating moving Jose, but the Rox are a joke at 1B and they plan to get active. 

No question if Jose was moved there, Ryan McMahon would likely be a chip coming back. The Sox could play him at 1B or 3B. Rox have no really elite lefty pitching prospects. I am intrigued by OF Sam Hilliard, he's a bit older, but has 5 tool talent and is wrecking AA right now. He does K a lot, which worries me as you progress up the ladder. 

Catcher Tom Murphy is a bit "older", but is a masher for that position. He's not particularly strong defender however. I wouldn't think the Sox would move on him. Their better righty pitching specs, guys like Lambert would barely crack the Top 10 in the Sox farm at the position. So I don't see anything there. 

I doubt the Rox would move Brendan Rodgers, but that's the only scenario I see the Sox making such a trade. Rodgers has big time potential, as does McMahon, but both are unproven and McMahon scuffled earlier this season, though was badly handled by Black. I think the only way I'd think about moving Jose to the Rox would be for Rodgers + McMahon.

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Read a blurb on a Rockies board where they have interest in Abreau. Not that I'd be advocating moving Jose, but the Rox are a joke at 1B and they plan to get active. 

No question if Jose was moved there, Ryan McMahon would likely be a chip coming back. The Sox could play him at 1B or 3B. Rox have no really elite lefty pitching prospects. I am intrigued by OF Sam Hilliard, he's a bit older, but has 5 tool talent and is wrecking AA right now. He does K a lot, which worries me as you progress up the ladder. 

Catcher Tom Murphy is a bit "older", but is a masher for that position. He's not particularly strong defender however. I wouldn't think the Sox would move on him. Their better righty pitching specs, guys like Lambert would barely crack the Top 10 in the Sox farm at the position. So I don't see anything there. 

I doubt the Rox would move Brendan Rodgers, but that's the only scenario I see the Sox making such a trade. Rodgers has big time potential, as does McMahon, but both are unproven and McMahon scuffled earlier this season, though was badly handled by Black. I think the only way I'd think about moving Jose to the Rox would be for Rodgers + McMahon.

Tapia, Dahl, Hoffman, none of those names interest you? They're not moving Rodgers, almost assuredly.

7 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

Tapia, Dahl, Hoffman, none of those names interest you? They're not moving Rodgers, almost assuredly.

I love Dahl, but I consider him even more untouchable than Rodgers. 

Tapia wouldn't be bad and I did forget about Hoffman. 

Yea, I'd be fine with a Tapia/Hoffman/McMahon get. ALL 3 would be immediate starters in Chicago yet all are still young enough to be part of the growth of  the team. I think in time McMahon could be an elite defender at first base and he should hit. Tapia not sure where he plays in the OF but he has talent. Hoffman would be hard to get, though he would easily replace the sinking Gio.

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kwolf68 said:

Rodgers isn’t tearing the cover off the ball in the minors. 291 is good but nothing crazy.

McMahon has struggled so far in the bigs but it’s early.

3B Colton Welker, meanwhile, is someone I’d be interested in. He’s only 21 and he’s hitting well on the farm.

2 hours ago, soxfan49 said:

Rodgers isn’t tearing the cover off the ball in the minors. 291 is good but nothing crazy.

McMahon has struggled so far in the bigs but it’s early.

3B Colton Welker, meanwhile, is someone I’d be interested in. He’s only 21 and he’s hitting well on the farm.

Rogers started the season really slow and has since turned it on. With how valuable I think Jose is he is a must in my opinion.

With McMahon, lots of players start off slow, I still think he will hit in the bigs.

I really like Welker. But he started off on fire and has since cooled off, still playing very well though.

If we are giving up Jose we should get our pick of 2 of these and a player like Tapia. If we don't then I say we keep him.

• Like 1