2018 White Sox catch-all thread

southsider2k5

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Not only that but I don't think the Sox have won 3 in a row all season and then no Rodon or Anderson in the lineup. He must have been pissed when he saw that.

In baseball, where daily lineups are so variable, one state should offer a "buyout" where someone can get a certain % of the bet back if the lineup looks bad for that game. I bet (pun intended) that would increase business for that state over some others. A competitive edge.

It is right around when Kevin Smith took over as primary catcher, but Omar has hit .286 with a OPS of .800 in his last 15 games.  I know small sample but anyone notice if his d has improved?  Maybe playing hurt with everyone else out? playing too much?  Maybe fits better as a 1-2 times per rotation.

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

It is right around when Kevin Smith took over as primary catcher, but Omar has hit .286 with a OPS of .800 in his last 15 games.  I know small sample but anyone notice if his d has improved?  Maybe playing hurt with everyone else out? playing too much?  Maybe fits better as a 1-2 times per rotation.

I was definitely thinking that Omay was looking better not playing every day. Seems most teams rely on two catchers 'these days. '

1 minute ago, pcq said:

I was definitely thinking that Omay was looking better not playing every day. Seems most teams rely on two catchers 'these days. '

With the new PED testing, especially the amphetamines, teams really do need to use two catchers more. Its such a physically demanding position. If teams want catchers who arent beat down at the end of the season and the playoffs, they need to use the second catcher much more.

I had a interesting conversation with a Cubs fan this morning. He maintains that Theo Epstein wants to own a MLB team. I was thinking that if we had the good fortune of JR putting the White Sox up for sale, wouldn't it be something if Epstein bought the White Sox?  Epstein has produced winning teams at  every stop he has been. I would think that most White Sox fans would welcome him with open arms if he became the White Sox owner.

25 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I had a interesting conversation with a Cubs fan this morning. He maintains that Theo Epstein wants to own a MLB team. I was thinking that if we had the good fortune of JR putting the White Sox up for sale, wouldn't it be something if Epstein bought the White Sox?  Epstein has produced winning teams at  every stop he has been. I would think that most White Sox fans would welcome him with open arms if he became the White Sox owner.

I dont think he would have the revenue to spend on the pitching he cant develop. He is really good at scouting hitters. Pitching is much tougher.

From Merkin on whitesox.com

• Major League Baseball has overturned an official scoring call from a White Sox contest at Minnesota on June 5. A Brian Dozier ground ball off of reliever Nate Jones in the eighth inning of Game 1 of a doubleheader, originally ruled a single, has been changed to an error on third baseman Yolmer Sanchez. As a result, all four runs scored off of Jones now are unearned, lowering his postgame ERA from 4.01 to 2.86.

7 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

• Major League Baseball has overturned an official scoring call from a White Sox contest at Minnesota on June 5. A Brian Dozier ground ball off of reliever Nate Jones in the eighth inning of Game 1 of a doubleheader, originally ruled a single, has been changed to an error on third baseman Yolmer Sanchez. As a result, all four runs scored off of Jones now are unearned, lowering his postgame ERA from 4.01 to 2.86.

I remember that one.  It was an awful call.  Glad to see MLB fix it.

52 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nice. Upping his trade value!

I've written letters to JR for years. He's even responded to some of my letters in the past. He didn't respond to my letter last year when I requested to be interviewed for the job of White Sox GM. I feel the time is right to write him another letter. Its obvious to everybody that this White Sox season of 2018 is a complete train wreck. I sure don't see any light at the end of the tunnel with this team. I can definitely see this team fighting for last place for years. The team is at the bottom in the standings, attendance and TV ratings. One of his players (Lopez) said yesterday that they're playing like clowns. I think its time for a very drastic change. I'm going to request that he put the team up for sale. I realize he's making nothing but money with this team. Still, at his age how much money does he need? The franchise is a disgrace.  We need a new owner here. I know of at least 3 groups of people who want to buy the team. I'm curious to see if he responds to my letter. Better yet, hopefully he'll put the team up for sale.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I've written letters to JR for years. He's even responded to some of my letters in the past. He didn't respond to my letter last year when I requested to be interviewed for the job of White Sox GM. I feel the time is right to write him another letter. Its obvious to everybody that this White Sox season of 2018 is a complete train wreck. I sure don't see any light at the end of the tunnel with this team. I can definitely see this team fighting for last place for years. The team is at the bottom in the standings, attendance and TV ratings. One of his players (Lopez) said yesterday that they're playing like clowns. I think its time for a very drastic change. I'm going to request that he put the team up for sale. I realize he's making nothing but money with this team. Still, at his age how much money does he need? The franchise is a disgrace.  We need a new owner here. I know of at least 3 groups of people who want to buy the team. I'm curious to see if he responds to my letter. Better yet, hopefully he'll put the team up for sale.

No need to send Jerry a letter. He just emailed me confirming he read your post

Edited by DH in the NL
  • Haha 1

Lopez called the team clowns after yesterday's loss:

“For me, we’re not having these kinds of performances because we’re young,” Lopez said through a team interpreter. “For me it’s about intensity, for us to play the way we know we can play the game, to keep working and grinding. It’s unacceptable for us to look the way we looked today. Nobody is happy about the way we looked today.

“Honestly, we looked like clowns (out) there, starting with me. But I know we can do better. It’s a matter of us to keep grinding, improving and working hard.”

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

LMAO.  You should just keep calling the score

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WBWSF said:

Im sure JR enjoyed your letter and appreciated the fact that you confirmed his approved plan of rebuiding is progressing as expected. 

The fans of every team that tries the rebuilding path has reacted the same and should react this way. 

I was hoping that with some of the advanced prospects they acquired (lopez, giolito, kopech, jimenez, moncada) that the rebuild would take a shorter period of time than the other and tge Sox would be ready to compete in for a WS in 2020. However, with this awful season this year, they will need the full 5 year plan and wont be ready until 2021.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Im sure JR enjoyed your letter and appreciated the fact that you confirmed his approved plan of rebuiding is progressing as expected. 

The fans of every team that tries the rebuilding path has reacted the same and should react this way. 

I was hoping that with some of the advanced prospects they acquired (lopez, giolito, kopech, jimenez, moncada) that the rebuild would take a shorter period of time than the other and tge Sox would be ready to compete in for a WS in 2020. However, with this awful season this year, they will need the full 5 year plan and wont be ready until 2021.

Always remember what Bill Veeck said, "The future is now. 5 year plans usually lead to new 5 year plans".

18 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Always remember what Bill Veeck said, "The future is now. 5 year plans usually lead to new 5 year plans".

No doubt. But since they are in the middle of it there isn't much choice now. This is why JR waited so long to approve this type of plan. The Sox just don't  have the revenue to buy very many players. Thus they needed to do it by the rebuild plan. There is no guarantee this will work but it wasn't very successful the other way either.

Edited by ptatc

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

No doubt. But since they are in the middle of it there isn't much choice now. This is why JR waited so long to approve this type of plan. The Sox just don't  have the revenue to buy very many players. Thus they needed to do it by the rebuild plan. There is no guarantee this will work but it wasn't very successful the other way either.

No the White Sox don't have the revenue of some of the other teams. Still Forbes magazine has said the White Sox gross $260 million dollars. The teams payroll this year is $60 million dollars. The team is 29th in MLB payroll. JR and his investors are laughing all the way to the bank. I expect the 2019 payroll will even be lower.

24 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

No the White Sox don't have the revenue of some of the other teams. Still Forbes magazine has said the White Sox gross $260 million dollars. The teams payroll this year is $60 million dollars. The team is 29th in MLB payroll. JR and his investors are laughing all the way to the bank. I expect the 2019 payroll will even be lower.

Gross of 260 million? That's it?  Some teams have payrolls for just the players in the 200 million range. That's not including all the ticket , promotions, coaches etc at the MLB, not to mention paying all of the minor league employees. The investors really can't have much of a profit.

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Gross of 260 million? That's it?  Some teams have payrolls for just the players in the 200 million range. That's not including all the ticket , promotions, coaches etc at the MLB, not to mention paying all of the minor league employees. The investors really can't have much of a profit.

I agree.  Their profit isn't $200 million.  It is fraction of that.  Presenting it like that is dishonst.